OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 05:53:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honesty test  (Read 1001 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 09, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »

How would you feel living in a world where the following would be a day by day observable reality : literal talking snakes, magical trees, gods and godesses, women who gave birth and remained with their hymen intact, spiritual angelic beings with wings, heaven , God sitting on a throne, no vices , having hell as one of your landscapes where the souls of poor bastards are tormented interminably and for eternity?Explain.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »

How would you feel living in a world where the following would be a day by day observable reality : literal talking snakes, magical trees, gods and godesses, women who gave birth and remained with their hymen intact, spiritual angelic beings with wings, heaven , God sitting on a throne, no vices , having hell as one of your landscapes where the souls of poor bastards are tormented interminably and for eternity?Explain.

Some of those I actually believe... Smiley

I guess that you're mixing 30 Steps of st. John's Divine Ladder with 12 steps of dr. Bob's Alcoholics Anonymous.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »

Honesty test for you. Are you calling for help in understanding your own faith or are you ridiculing what is already too late for one to explain for you.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »

Not too get too weird or anything, but ever since I was a tiny tot, I have had a sense of, or a certainty of, another world, or another reality - (it's difficult to explain) where these things and more are commonplace, are the way things actually work. I've also had the sense that this was "realer" than what is commonly called "the real world."

So I don't have any problem with it.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »

Magical trees?  No idea what you're talking about.

I talk to snakes all the time and they hiss back.  I don't quite understand what they're saying, but they do talk.  It's all Greek to me.

God is real and its a human conceit that he sits on a throne (that's where deities sit, in our feeble minds), but He's certainly real.

The miracle of the Virgin Birth is just that.  A miracle.  Which means the laws of science were warped for a short period of time. 

The idea of angels having wings is a human conceit and metaphor.  Spiritual beings don't need wings on account of the fact that they are spiritual.  Duh.

The older I get, the vices I once enjoyed look more and more like the prisons the holy men and women say they are. 

In the hereafter, my only landscape would be God Himself, or at least as much of Him as I'm capable of seeing, if I understand things correctly.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

If I lived in a world like that it would seem normal to me I would guess, since I wouldn't know anything different Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

Magical trees?  No idea what you're talking about.

I talk to snakes all the time and they hiss back.  I don't quite understand what they're saying, but they do talk. It's all Greek to me.

Greek's quite easy once you get the flow Wink
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:58:09 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »

Just a day at the movies.  Undecided
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »

Some of those I actually believe... Smiley

I guess that you're mixing 30 Steps of st. John's Divine Ladder with 12 steps of dr. Bob's Alcoholics Anonymous.

Nah....he's mixing St. John's 30 steps with tequila and peyote--one step at a time while listening to Puff The Magic Dragon  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

Magical trees?  No idea what you're talking about.

I talk to snakes all the time and they hiss back.  I don't quite understand what they're saying, but they do talk. It's all Greek to me.

Greek's quite easy once you get the flow Wink

I do quite like listening to Greek being spoken.  I can only pick out a few words here and there, though, and that's only because I'm an etymology geek.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

Nah....he's mixing St. John's 30 steps with tequila and peyote--one step at a time while listening to Puff The Magic Dragon  Grin.

Speaking of tequila, I always wondered how many of it is in Desperados.

I do quite like listening to Greek being spoken.  I can only pick out a few words here and there, though, and that's only because I'm an etymology geek.

Absolutely agree, it's very melodic and flexible. I often catch myself that I keep reading some passages further even if 99% of the words are totally unknown for me, just for the pleasure of its' sound.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:43:26 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

I talk to snakes all the time and they hiss back.  I don't quite understand what they're saying, but they do talk.  It's all Greek to me.

God is real and its a human conceit that he sits on a throne (that's where deities sit, in our feeble minds), but He's certainly real.

The miracle of the Virgin Birth is just that.  A miracle.  Which means the laws of science were warped for a short period of time. 

The idea of angels having wings is a human conceit and metaphor.  Spiritual beings don't need wings on account of the fact that they are spiritual.  Duh.

The older I get, the vices I once enjoyed look more and more like the prisons the holy men and women say they are. 

In the hereafter, my only landscape would be God Himself, or at least as much of Him as I'm capable of seeing, if I understand things correctly.

Agree completely with this.

I'm wondering if he/she was either referring to the forbidden fruit tree or burning bush?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

Agree completely with this.

I'm wondering if he/she was either referring to the forbidden fruit tree or burning bush?

Oh, i'm sure it was the Tree of Life, but there was nothing magic about it. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

No mention of talking donkeys, zombies in the New Testament or the sun standing still? You're slipping Azul!

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »

No mention of talking donkeys, zombies in the New Testament or the sun standing still? You're slipping Azul!

I am very very tired.I am waiting salvation.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »

Know the male, but keep to the female!

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »

Wat?  Huh

Mahatma Gandhi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »

It's a saying from the Tao Te Ching... I take it to mean to know what it means to be aggressive and assertive, but to stay to the way of being passive and accepting what comes and yielding. Or, in other words, don't try to force things too much.

Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »

It's a saying from the Tao Te Ching... I take it to mean to know what it means to be aggressive and assertive, but to stay to the way of being passive and accepting what comes and yielding. Or, in other words, don't try to force things too much.

I thought it was more like "remember that while your pals are cool, you should marry a woman", or something like that Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »

I thought it was more like "remember that while your pals are cool, you should marry a woman", or something like that Wink

Well if it's like that, and it say to "know" the male...  Shocked

Btw, did I pass the test?

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »

--Subscribed--
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:23:51 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

Bros before hoes?

I'm going to need this.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »

Nice answer.  Smiley

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »

Haha Schultz nice!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »

Bros before hoes?

Chicks before .. um... Ricks.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »

Bros before hoes?

Chicks before .. um... Ricks.
police

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »

In Tolkien's essay, "On Fairy Stories" he says that the Christian Gospels contain "a fairy-story, or a story of a larger kind, which embraces all the essence of fairy stories." Tolkien says, "this story has entered History and the primary world; the desire and aspiration of sub-creation have been raised to the fulfillment of creation. The birth of Christ is the eucatastrophe of Man's history. The Resurrection is the eucatastrophe of the story of the Incarnation."

Or to put it another way: Once upon a time there was a mystical tree in the midst of a mystical garden where a great evil was loosed upon the land, and as the centuries passed it rained frogs and humble bushes burned without being consumed upon hidden mountainsides. Once a donkey spoke and once the sun stood still and crazy old men wandered the wastes half starved, half naked telling tales of one who would come to set it all back to rights….and this time it was all true.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

With respect to talking animals I've rather wondered if the little she donkey of Balaam who talked birthed a line of donkeys gifted with speech, one of which might have been in the manger at Christ's birth and a descendent of which carried Him into Jerusalem. However in earlier generations one of that line mated with a horse and produced one of the line of mules used by the Judges of the ancient Hebrews…though mules are normally born sterile, one or more of this line was not and bred back into the world of horses establishing  a line which also had the gift of speech.  In the mid 20th century one of these horses and one of these donkeys were paired again, the Offspring of which went on to star in several motion pictures as "Francis the Talking Mule". He turned out to be the great uncle of Mr. Ed who went on to television fame a horse generation or so later.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: