OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly Discovered Fossils Signal Offshoots of Humans  (Read 886 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: August 09, 2012, 03:54:26 AM »

Newly Discovered Fossils Signal Offshoots of Humans

Fossil by fossil, scientists over the last 40 years have suspected that their models for the more immediate human family tree -- the single trunk, straight as a Ponderosa pine, up from Homo habilis to Homo erectus to Homo sapiens -- were oversimplified. The day for that serious revision may be at hand.

The discovery of three new fossil specimens, announced Wednesday, is the most compelling evidence yet for multiple lines of evolution in our own genus, Homo, scientists said. The fossils showed that there were at least two contemporary Homo species, in addition to Homo erectus, living in East Africa as early as 2 million years ago...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »

Interesting.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »

Very cool!!!

I am fascinated by human evolution.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »

Homo erectus? That's part of the gay agenda.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »

What an intriguing discovery. Smiley

laugh
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »

Evolutionism is the creation of the gay schismatic Elders of Zion.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

Wouldn't it be interesting if Neanderthals were still alive? I find it rather boring and depressive considering that homo sapiens are the only surviving species of hominids on Earth right now.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »

Wouldn't it be interesting if Neanderthals were still alive? I find it rather boring and depressive considering that homo sapiens are the only surviving species of hominids on Earth right now.

I am still looking for a homo sapiens frankly . .

Other than the one I see every morning in the mirror of course.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:51:00 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

I'm behind you?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »

OMG seriously LOL'd at that.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »

we have some dna...possibly a jurassic park experiment? Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »

I'm behind you?

given the previous line of discussion in this thread, your position is an unsettling one...  Cheesy
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »

Chances are it would probably die though within the first three years of its life even if we did manage to successfully clone one. Cloning modern creatures is hard enough as it is with our current technology, as most of them suffer from many genetic problems and end up dying within a couple years. Imagine the challenge in trying to clone a prehistoric creature with a miniscule amount of DNA and think of how hard it would be. I think that the Neanderthal--if successfully cloned--would end up dying in early childhood.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »

Chances are it would probably die though within the first three years of its life even if we did manage to successfully clone one. Cloning modern creatures is hard enough as it is with our current technology, as most of them suffer from many genetic problems and end up dying within a couple years. Imagine the challenge in trying to clone a prehistoric creature with a miniscule amount of DNA and think of how hard it would be. I think that the Neanderthal--if successfully cloned--would end up dying in early childhood.

that would sure make for one cute kid though! Wink
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:04 AM »

Whatever happened to the Geico Neanderthal?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 06:01:52 AM »

Non-Africans are part Neanderthal, so they're not so hard to come by.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »

ScienceDaily (Aug. 13, 2012) — New research raises questions about the theory that modern humans and Neanderthals at some point interbred, known as hybridisation. The findings of a study by researchers at the University of Cambridge suggest that common ancestry, not hybridisation, better explains the average 1-4 per cent DNA that those of European and Asian descent (Eurasians) share with Neanderthals.
Neanderthals and modern humans once shared a common ancestor who is thought to have spanned Africa and Europe about half a million years ago. Just as there are very different populations across Europe today, populations of that common ancestor would not have been completely mixed across continents, but rather closer populations would have been more genetically similar to each other than populations further apart. (There is extensive genetic and archaeological evidence that population in Africa were 'structured'; in other words, different populations in Africa only had limited exchange through migration, allowing them to remain distinct from each other both in terms of genetics and morphology.)

Then, about 350-300 thousand years ago, the European range and the African range became separated. The European range evolved into Neanderthal, the African range eventually turned into modern humans. However, because the populations within each continent were not freely mixing, the DNA of the modern human population in Africa that were ancestrally closer to Europe would have retained more of the ancestral DNA (specifically, genetic variants) that is also shared with Neanderthals.

Ain't science grand? Grin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:03:44 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: