OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestants Using Orthodox Symbols?  (Read 3061 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »

I have a little bit of a religious pet-peeve and I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about this topic. How do you feel about Protestants using Orthodox symbols? To be more specific, those who use the Greek 'fish' symbol that the Orthodox used in its early days during persecution. I've noticed a trend among zealous Evangelicals to use this symbol very often as some way to commemorate their 'persecuted ancestors' and I have to say, I find this rather offensive. Evangelicals were not the ones being persecuted when this symbol was used; in fact, they were not even around during the time this symbol came out. Yet, they still wear it as if they had some type of connection with the Church during these early times when clearly they did not. I just find it kind of offensive to see Evangelicals wear one of our symbols that represents our ancestors' persecution as if they were the ones whose ancestors were persecuted. It is like a White person calling his White friends the N-word; a Black person would find it offensive because that White person never understood what it's like to be an N-word yet they still drop it as if they understand entirely or as if it affected them in any negative way. Maybe I'm just being too serious. What are your thoughts about this?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:23 AM »

The fish is a universally recognized symbol of Christianity as a whole. It isn't associated with Orthodoxy alone.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »

inb4 schultz
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »

My thoughts?  Enough with this repetitive lashing out already; you're embarrassing yourself.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »

Just put the evolution Jesus fish on the back of your car. Problem solved.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »

What are you going to do, James, sue the Protestants for copyright infringement?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »

Silly protestants stealing our Orthodoxies.  They stole our Cross.  They stole our Bible.  We made that!

Let them just stick with their 95 Thesiseses and pre-destinations.

Copycats.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

You know what other ancient Orthodox symbol they use?

The cross.  Roll Eyes

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

What are you going to do, James, sue the Protestants for copyright infringement?

I have to admit, that really made me laugh. And I imagine that if this were a possibility, I probably would attempt it...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

Ah but not the three bar cross!

The one bar cross is a Protestant symbol police
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:46:08 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:55:42 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

This is why I always cross myself with three bars when praying.

1) Cross head to belly
2) Cross right shoulder to left shoulder
3) Cross from lower left stomach to upper right
4) Move hand across throat for finish

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 02:06:59 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

1) Cross head to belly

That way you get disemboweled and have your throat slit.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

1) Cross head to belly

That way you get disemboweled and have your throat slit.

That's a proper gesture for those heretical New Riters. police
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »

It's hilarious and tragic that many protestant groups which use the fish symbol think venerating icons is idolatry.  Wink Tongue laugh
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

1) Cross head to belly

But do you use 2 or 3 fingers?

Actually such an elaborate sign of the cross exsists to certain extent; in Iberia and Latin America there is tradition of tradition of tracing a small cross on the forehead, one on the chest and one on the lips.

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »

Or this one:

Proverbs 22:7
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »

Hold on a second everybody  Wink…  It is not just the symbol of the fish or the Cross. As vamrat noted; while not a ‘symbol’ I have learned and sincerely accept the Bible itself has come from the Orthodox Church. Perhaps I should stop using that?! What about the divinely inspired word of the Saints and early Church Fathers? Come to think of it does not the Roman Catholic Church, thus the Protestant Churches come from the Orthodox Church?

I get to keep the cool ‘WWJD’ wrist band though right?

Peace, Love & Grace!  Smiley

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:44:37 AM »

If the Orthodox Church is the original church, everything Christian across the board was borrowed from it, until new things were created.  Let them.  Then maybe one day someone will ask,
"Hey, where did this come from?" and learn their history, like the Protestant statement of faith is from the Roman Church, which if they knew would turn their stomachs.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »

Silly protestants stealing our Orthodoxies.  They stole our Cross.  They stole our Bible.  We made that!

Let them just stick with their 95 Thesiseses and pre-destinations.

Copycats.

I laughed so hard at this I nearly choked.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

Or this one:

Love it.!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »

I have a little bit of a religious pet-peeve and I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about this topic. How do you feel about Protestants using Orthodox symbols? To be more specific, those who use the Greek 'fish' symbol that the Orthodox used in its early days during persecution.

Hi. I guess you're directing these questions to your fellow Orthodox, but I'd like to chime in 2 little thoughts.

First, protestants borrow a ton of stuff from us Catholics, and we're generally not "supposed" to complain about it. So I guess I'm kinda torn between sympathizing, and saying "Huh?" to your complaints -- especially since you've only actually mentioned one example.

Which brings me to my second thought: I've never thought of the fish as symbolizing Orthodoxy but not Catholicism or protestantism. Do you have any other examples?

I've noticed a trend among zealous Evangelicals to use this symbol very often as some way to commemorate their 'persecuted ancestors' and I have to say, I find this rather offensive. Evangelicals were not the ones being persecuted when this symbol was used; in fact, they were not even around during the time this symbol came out. Yet, they still wear it as if they had some type of connection with the Church during these early times when clearly they did not. I just find it kind of offensive to see Evangelicals wear one of our symbols that represents our ancestors' persecution as if they were the ones whose ancestors were persecuted. It is like a White person calling his White friends the N-word; a Black person would find it offensive because that White person never understood what it's like to be an N-word yet they still drop it as if they understand entirely or as if it affected them in any negative way. Maybe I'm just being too serious.

I think I'd like to think more about those statements before commenting.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

1) Cross head to belly

But do you use 2 or 3 fingers?

Actually such an elaborate sign of the cross exsists to certain extent; in Iberia and Latin America there is tradition of tradition of tracing a small cross on the forehead, one on the chest and one on the lips.

As do Western Orthodox before the reading of the Gospel. Smiley
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

But there are Evangelical/Anglican East Churches, with eastern rites and such.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:47:37 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »

What really annoys me are when Orthodox steal (or don't wash off) Protestant stuff.

My pet peeve are convert clergy who still talk with the "preacher's dialect." (/shiver)

I have a little bit of a religious pet-peeve and I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about this topic. How do you feel about Protestants using Orthodox symbols? To be more specific, those who use the Greek 'fish' symbol that the Orthodox used in its early days during persecution. I've noticed a trend among zealous Evangelicals to use this symbol very often as some way to commemorate their 'persecuted ancestors' and I have to say, I find this rather offensive. Evangelicals were not the ones being persecuted when this symbol was used; in fact, they were not even around during the time this symbol came out. Yet, they still wear it as if they had some type of connection with the Church during these early times when clearly they did not. I just find it kind of offensive to see Evangelicals wear one of our symbols that represents our ancestors' persecution as if they were the ones whose ancestors were persecuted. It is like a White person calling his White friends the N-word; a Black person would find it offensive because that White person never understood what it's like to be an N-word yet they still drop it as if they understand entirely or as if it affected them in any negative way. Maybe I'm just being too serious. What are your thoughts about this?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »

inb4 schultz

LOL

I had a meeting. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:33 AM »

Roll Eyes

One of my pet peeves is when people wield the Faith to spread their own insolence.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 01:31:11 AM »

One of my pet peeves is the term "pet peeve".
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »

...Then maybe one day someone will ask,
"Hey, where did this come from?" and learn their history, like the Protestant statement of faith is from the Roman Church, which if they knew would turn their stomachs.

Kerdy, Forgive my ignorance as I am making some attempt to learn more of Church history, Orthodox theology, as well as Wesleyan theology. I am truly unaware of any Protestant statement of faith that is 'all inclusive' nor how it is from the Roman Church. I welcome your insight if you would explain.

Sincerely,

Scott
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:41:24 AM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »

Kerdy, Forgive my ignorance as I am making some attempt to learn more of Church history, Orthodox theology, as well as Wesleyan theology. I am truly unaware of any Protestant statement of faith that is 'all inclusive' nor how it is from the Roman Church. I welcome your insight if you would explain.

Sincerely,

Scott
The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friends and they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »

I have to admit, that really made me laugh. And I imagine that if this were a possibility, I probably would attempt it...

And if you did attempt such a frivolous thing, you would only confirm what most of us already know--that you are spiteful and vindictive.

That said, there are a lot of Protestant groups, especially those evangelizing in traditionally Orthodox countries who use Orthodox vestments, art, chants, etc. to get their message across.  Sadly, it seems to be working.  In Russia, the Baptists have made significant gains by confusing people with their Orthodox appearances.

I will also confess that I do not understand why those who decry icons, readily use them for teaching purposes.  I think they're looking at them more as art and not as devotional objects.  Still, it does discomfort me, but I don't go around forcing them to quit what they're doing.  What needs to be done, especially in those traditionally Orthodox countries, is for the Church to really focus on re evangelizing the masses.  I think, in a lot of ways, they have really dropped the ball on that.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »

The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friend sand they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

Baptists use the Nicene reed here in the states?  I have never ever heard of the Baptists ever reciting the Creed or knowing it existed.  My fellow cantor and former Baptist once told me that such things like the Creed would be considered "vain repetitions." 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »

The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friend sand they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

Baptists use the Nicene reed here in the states?  I have never ever heard of the Baptists ever reciting the Creed or knowing it existed.  My fellow cantor and former Baptist once told me that such things like the Creed would be considered "vain repetitions."  
The last I looked, the SBC had it on their webpage.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:14:58 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »

The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friend sand they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

Baptists use the Nicene reed here in the states?  I have never ever heard of the Baptists ever reciting the Creed or knowing it existed.  My fellow cantor and former Baptist once told me that such things like the Creed would be considered "vain repetitions." 
I know of several liturgical Baptist churches that use it.
That said, there are a lot of Protestant groups, especially those evangelizing in traditionally Orthodox countries who use Orthodox vestments, art, chants, etc. to get their message across.  Sadly, it seems to be working.  In Russia, the Baptists have made significant gains by confusing people with their Orthodox appearances.

Yeah, I have seen pictures of Georgian Baptists who -- had their icons not looked a little weird -- I would not have known the difference.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »

I think there are much bigger things to be concerned with other than what symbols protestants are using.  One thing I love about Orthodoxy is that we are taught to pray and worry about our own faith, not everyone elses.  Honestly, who cares if they put fish on their cars and stuff?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:11 AM »

That said, there are a lot of Protestant groups, especially those evangelizing in traditionally Orthodox countries who use Orthodox vestments, art, chants, etc. to get their message across.  Sadly, it seems to be working.  In Russia, the Baptists have made significant gains by confusing people with their Orthodox appearances.

Well said. I thought the example in the OP -- the complaint that protestants use the fish symbol (I didn't have the heart to tell James that we Catholics use it too Wink) -- was pretty wierd; but that's not to say that there cannot also be legitimate complaints about protestants imitating the Orthodox.

I will also confess that I do not understand why those who decry icons, readily use them for teaching purposes.  I think they're looking at them more as art and not as devotional objects.  

I would have to wonder if there isn't a bit of a "bait and switch" going on there. You know, a don't-tell-them-how-we-really-feel-about-icons-until-they're-protestant.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

I object to the name Evangelical since it comes from a Greek word.  Lutheran's 100% Protestant, though. Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

I object to the name Evangelical since it comes from a Greek word.  Lutheran's 100% Protestant, though. Tongue

A "Protestant" also comes from a Greek word Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »

The cross.  Roll Eyes

1) Cross head to belly

Awesome!

At step four, many people think I am threatening them with a Colombian Necktie.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »

The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friend sand they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

Baptists use the Nicene reed here in the states?  I have never ever heard of the Baptists ever reciting the Creed or knowing it existed.  My fellow cantor and former Baptist once told me that such things like the Creed would be considered "vain repetitions."  
The last I looked, the SBC had it on their webpage.
I just checked again but didn't find it.  I also checked my old.church and it is no longer there either.  They must have changed it since I last looked about three years ago.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »

Sincerely,

Scott
The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friends and they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

First and foremost thank you Kerdy! Indeed you are furthering my knowledge. (Not nessesarily a difficult task. lol)

I can’t really comment on other denominations such as Baptist. My limited understanding is even within their denomination their doctrines and ‘statements of faith’ may vary. I am aware some Protestants accept the Nicene Creed, others only the Apostle’s Creed, and there may be some that accept neither (?).  I did not realize that the Orthodox only accept the Nicene Creed of Nicea in 325.

The Church I pray at does not recite either the Apostle Creed or the Nicene Creed during service but fully accepts both as statements of our faith. I did not realize you were referring to that when mentioning a Protestant ‘statement of faith’ as again, I thought Orthodox and Catholic also accepted the revision of 381. I had to do a little research as I was not very knowledgeable to the difference between the two versions. We are of Wesleyan theology and in fact accept the Constantinople of 381 version.  At this point I can’t say I’m having the adverse reaction you mentioned but perhaps after I research and learn more maybe?   Wink

My knowledge of the schism between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholic (east-west) is weak as is my knowlage of the Ecumenical Councils in general. I don’t want to take JamesR’s post too far off topic so I’ll conclude by thanking you again as this is very good for my growth.

God Bless,

Scott
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:38:04 PM by alanscott » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »

Sincerely,

Scott
The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friends and they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.

I did not realize that the Orthodox only accept the Nicene Creed of Nicea in 325.

We also accept the revisions of Constantinople 381
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:41:57 PM by sheenj » Logged
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

I did not realize that the Orthodox only accept the Nicene Creed of Nicea in 325.

We also accept the revisions of Constantinople 381.

O.K. now I'm confused  Huh

Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

O.K. now I'm confused  Huh

The revisions of Constantinople include the teachings about The Holy Spirit, and His relation to the Holy Trinity and how He "interracts" with us. They were included because at that time the Orthodoxy was dogmatically confronted with Arianism. Thus we accept it as our Creed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:55:31 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »

We also accept the revisions of Constantinople 381

We Catholics also accept the Creed of 381 (even if it may not always seem like we accept it).

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

O.K. now I'm confused  Huh

The revisions of Constantinople include the teachings about The Holy Spirit, and His relation to the Holy Trinity and how He "interracts" with us. They were included because at that time the Orthodoxy was dogmatically confronted with Arianism. Thus we accept it as our Creed.
Thank You I understand that but...
[/quote]
The Nicene Creed, Christian statement of faith, used by most (all???) protestant churches is the same used by the Catholic Church, which they changed from the original the Orthodox Church uses.  This was part of the reason for the Great Schism.  I pointed this out some Baptist friends and they looked confused and horrified.  I don't think they ever put two and two together when they read the creed.  I did, however, discuss this with a Catholic friend and she was very aware of it.  I found the same creed on many Protestant churches denominational home pages while I was doing my research prior to conversion.  I was, and still am, overwhelmed at the amount of information I did not know existed as a Baptist.
[/quote]

... now I'm confused to Kerdy's reply. Emphasis added.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:48:22 PM by alanscott » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: