OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delegation from the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia visits Alask  (Read 430 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: August 08, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

Metropolitan Christopher's third visit to the USA in last two years (or something like that).

At the invitation of His Eminence, Archbishop Benjamin, Locum Tenens of the Diocese of Alaska, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Krystof [Christopher] of the Czech Lands and Slovakia began a 13-day pilgrimage to Alaska on July 28, 2012...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:14 PM »

The pilgrimage to Alaska sounds exciting!

A Belarusian seminary asked me recently if I thought it would be possible for them to make a similar pilgrimage to Orthodox places in America. Would anyone happen to know who (or what office) I might contact to ask about something like this?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

A Belarusian seminary asked me recently if I thought it would be possible for them to make a similar pilgrimage to Orthodox places in America. Would anyone happen to know who (or what office) I might contact to ask about something like this?
as someone who has (although not yet to Alaska, unfortunately, but I have the plans), unfortunately no.  Pretty much have to do it yourself.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

as someone who has (although not yet to Alaska, unfortunately, but I have the plans), unfortunately no.  Pretty much have to do it yourself.
Thank you, Isa.

Do you think it would be best if they used a tourist company then?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »

Thank you, Isa.

Do you think it would be best if they used a tourist company then?
Depends on how they like the travel, or how well they are in getting their itinerary together. Probably best for Alaska, where things are still a little on the spotty side.

There are other Orthodox sites in the US, btw, such as Fort Ross, which is just a drive up from SF (which also has the Church of St. John Maximovich's shrine, and Holy Trinity Cathedral, the daughter of the Fort Ross chapel and the Mother Church of America).  In Chicago, the Holy Trinity Cathedral OCA was organized by a saint (two in fact), consecrated by a saint, and served by a saint.  There are sites in NYC, unfortunately many which have been built over, but some still remain, e.g. the St. Nicholas Cathedrals (the original one of St. Raphael is nearby the present one: it's now a spanish baptist church).  I did not see the original Holy Trinity Church in New Orleans, due to the neighborhood and my sons were with me and little, but the new Cathedral is lovely in more ways than one.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »

Depends on how they like the travel, or how well they are in getting their itinerary together. Probably best for Alaska, where things are still a little on the spotty side.

There are other Orthodox sites in the US, btw, such as Fort Ross, which is just a drive up from SF (which also has the Church of St. John Maximovich's shrine, and Holy Trinity Cathedral, the daughter of the Fort Ross chapel and the Mother Church of America).  In Chicago, the Holy Trinity Cathedral OCA was organized by a saint (two in fact), consecrated by a saint, and served by a saint.  There are sites in NYC, unfortunately many which have been built over, but some still remain, e.g. the St. Nicholas Cathedrals (the original one of St. Raphael is nearby the present one: it's now a spanish baptist church).  I did not see the original Holy Trinity Church in New Orleans, due to the neighborhood and my sons were with me and little, but the new Cathedral is lovely in more ways than one.
Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:59:16 PM by rakovsky » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

maybe u could see if some people from yr church want to join in to help meet and greet them, maybe even join with them on the trip. it could be one person bringing them from the station / airport and then someone else cooking them a welcome dinner for example.
that would be nice.
check out they are legitimate first, and not just trying to get an invitation and then disappear to work on the black market. if u correspond with them first for a few weeks and discuss spiritual things, and pray about it, then u should get an idea of what they are hoping to achieve with their visit.
you could even end up paying a return visit to belorus (not sure of the spelling in english), which i have heard is very pretty.

someone i know had a friend from an african country, and made a few visits, then within 10 years had set up a whole collaborative group which helped to restart the country's medical schools in a post conflict situation.
big things can arise from small friendships...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

Not sure about regulations, but you'll need to find some organisation to issue visa invitations. For every person you invite you need 60 euro monthly income that makes impossible for a single man to invite more than several persons.*

*I'm talking about regulations for the EU citizens. To be frankly, I expect American regulations far more strict than that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:01:26 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »

Not sure about regulations, but you'll need to find some organisation to issue visa invitations. For every person you invite you need 60 euro monthly income that makes impossible for a single man to invite more than several persons.*

*I'm talking about regulations for the EU citizens. To be frankly, I expect American regulations far more strict than that.

The visa issue is the easy part; any of our jurisdictions or seminaries can issue the needed invite, and the red tape is very easy to overcome since they are students asking for a short term visa. The biggest hoop to making this happen is the money needed to travel within the US. To travel between the cities mentioned can cost anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars per person.

Joseph
Ignati

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »

Please, go and see the movie 'Beyond the Hills', it is mind blowing!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: