OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pan-Orthodox get togethers  (Read 361 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »

Mods, feel free to move this topic to somewhere more appropriate if needed.

For those of you in larger metropolitan areas with more than one jurisdiction of Orthodox churches, a few questions:
1)  Is there an organized Pan-Orthodox council, consisting of laymen and priests, from all the jurisdictions in that area?
2)  Are there occasions where Pan-Orthodox get-togethers are organized in a non-church setting such as in the form of barbecues at parks, going to baseball games, etc.
3)  With the exception of one communal Triumph of Orthodoxy Vespers service on the first Sunday of Lent, are there other occasions where the churches celebrate services such as a Divine Liturgy or Paraklesis together?

My reasons for wanting to know this is because here in Omaha we have an established Pan Orthodox Council consisting of laymen and priests.  They try to organize get togethers and common services.  Personally, I don't see the point behind it.  It's especially complicated for services as we have two churches now in Omaha (one very new ROCOR mission and Serbian) that use the Old Calendar.  But even with social gatherings, there only seems to be representatives from mainly one church at these events and those are almost always (recent) converts who seem to have this need to socialize with other Orthodox.  I don't get understand it. I just wanted to see what the situation was like in other metropolitan areas.  Each church contributes also money to this organization and it seems to be misspent on something which really has done nothing.

Your thoughts, please.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »

We don't have an organized council but we are blessed to have GOA Metropolitan who is very inclusive and an active pan-Orthodox clergy brotherhood. All of the Orthodox churches in the area support and contribute to the Loaves and Fishes ministry to the poor headquartered in our parish. There have been picnics on Pentecost, and the above mentioned GOA Metropolitan always invites all the Orthodox clergy and Faithful to any events (such as when the Patriarch visited) and has an annual Divine Liturgy and luncheon on the Feast Day of St. John Chrysostom for all the Orthodox clergy of the area.

I think fellowship is never a bad idea, and it can be especially good for youth groups and young adult groups to do things together.

The problems, especially in a major metropolitan area, are that everyone is so busy nowadays, and the distances involved in traveling.

Perhaps your council could focus on charitable endeavors first? Or pan Orthodox retreats? Especially for the youth and young adults. With only one or two big "social" events?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

^From what I know, it doesn't seem that we are engaged too much on the charitable front, but I'm not certain on this.

The retreats that are sponsored are a joke.  They're not retreats, they're lectures.  And again, only one church really seems to be engaged in any of these events.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »

One of the GOA youth leaders was telling me about a pan Orthodox program he's starting up: Orthodoxy on Tap for young adults. They meet at a local restaurant and have a speaker/discussion.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »

Personally, I don't see the point behind it.

Why?

It's especially complicated for services as we have two churches now in Omaha (one very new ROCOR mission and Serbian) that use the Old Calendar.

How does that complicate anything?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »

Personally, I don't see the point behind it.

Why?

It's especially complicated for services as we have two churches now in Omaha (one very new ROCOR mission and Serbian) that use the Old Calendar.

How does that complicate anything?

Uh, different calendars and different commemorations?  Different hymns?  It could be a mess.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

Uh, different calendars and different commemorations?  Different hymns?  It could be a mess.

You follow the host's one. Case solved.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »

You follow the host's one. Case solved.

Just meet on a day when you can get away with just doing the stuff from the Paraklitiki (if it's a Vesper that shouldn't be difficult), commemorate all the hierarchs of the parishes represented.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »

One other thing that also causes confusion is that when the priests concelebrate, they never seem to work out in advance who will do what and when.  They all just seem to look at one another during the Vespers wondering,"Should I be doing this part here?"  That could easily be solved with better communication.  Another issue is that the churches that do not use Byzantine chant generally do not have enough for  a choir.  As such, usually us chanters from the Greek churches end up doing the service.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

I've once witnessed the concelebration between about 30-year-old Kikuyu New Calendar Priest from Kenya (that speaks Kikuyu, Swahili and English) with an over 70-year-old Belarusian Old Calendar Priest from Poland (that speaks Belarusian, Russian and Polish). There were no problems and they did just fine.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »

I've once witnessed the concelebration between about 30-year-old Kikuyu New Calendar Priest from Kenya (that speaks Kikuyu, Swahili and English) with an over 70-year-old Belarusian Old Calendar Priest from Poland (that speaks Belarusian, Russian and Polish). There were no problems and they did just fine.

Yeah, I've never noticed any awkwardness. The solution to the choir thing may be to ask choir members to show up a little earlier to rehearse - that's what we've tried and it works.

St. John Chrysostom
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »

Yeah, I've never noticed any awkwardness. The solution to the choir thing may be to ask choir members to show up a little earlier to rehearse - that's what we've tried and it works.

That never works where I am.  The choir members are some of the most lazy people I have ever met.  They don't want to rehearse and don't think they need to and when they sound terribly, they just shrug it off as if there was nothing wrong.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »

Two skilled choristers can do the service. If you have more than 4 - no need to worry.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »

^don't even have that in our choirs.

Now, our chanters, different story.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: