OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:15:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inwent to Confession and...?  (Read 1044 times) Average Rating: 0
BayStater123

Faith: Latin Church

« on: August 08, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »

I confessEd my sins to an RCC priest and received a penance of three Divine Mercy Chaplets and one Hail Mary prayer. Does anyone think that's excessive and strenuous? Am I still forgiven if I don't do the penance? And onE last thing, does penance exist in Orthodox Christianity?
 Smiley
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »

Better get started and not  Cry about your punishments  laugh
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

I don't know about other traditions, but in Greek Orthodoxy, we don't usually have "penances", we are usually given a "kanon" ("prayer rule") to follow, for example, to add a certain number of prostrations to our daily prayers, or read certain spiritual texts. The aim is not to punish but to correct. There are, however, some sins which are corrected with what you would call "penance" which usually consists of an order to abstain from Communion for a certain time. Often, the Confessor will ask the Penitent to return regularly during this period of excommunication in order to check progress.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

a) That penance is not excessive.  Seriously, that shouldn't take that long.  The Divine Mercy Chaplet is pretty much the rosary.  Three of them shouldn't take you more than 40 minutes to say and you're also not obliged to say them all at the same time. 

b)  Yes, acc. to RC practice, if you don't do your penance, it's a sign that you're not truly sorry and your sins are not forgiven.

c)  Man up and do what the priest told you and be glad you don't have to walk on your knees for a week or something more substantial.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »

I've never understood this system of penance in RC tradition. Usually this penance is to say a prayer and that's all, nothing in connection with the sins you've committed, with your weaknesses. That's not a good way to improve ourselves and develop our spirituality.

Fortunately, a few years before my conversion into Orthodox Church, I had a really good confessor, whose penances given to me were in some way "Orthodox" - I mean they were more like a spiritual exercise, then a punishment.

I Slavic tradition the situation is the same as in Greek Orthodoxy. As ozgeorge said, the aim of the confession in Orthodoxy, is change ourselves for better. That's why it's a good thing to have a regular confessor, because he knows our weaknesses and by some advices, regulations of prayer rule and the frequency of participating in Sacraments can help us better.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »

Am I still forgiven if I don't do the penance?

These are questions for a Roman Catholic forum.  The Orthodox Church does not recognize sacraments performed outside of the Orthodox Church, so it would be out of place for an Orthodox Christian to suggest that you were forgiven of your sins after going to a Roman Catholic priest for confession, whether you fulfilled the so-called "penance" given by him or not. 
BayStater123

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »

I was told by an Orthodox priest (from the Orthodox Church in America) that Roman Catholic sacraments are grace-filled, but they are administered by schismatic priests. And I was also told that Roman Catholic priests who convert to Orthodoxy are not re-ordained in the Orthodox Church.
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »

so it would be out of place for an Orthodox Christian to suggest that you were forgiven of your sins after going to a Roman Catholic priest for confession, whether you fulfilled the so-called "penance" given by him or not. 

That's ridiculous.

"...a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

Perhaps it would be better to suggest the OP ask someone who is more familiar with RC confession and penance rather than denigrate the sacrament?

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

There are penances in the Orthodox Church, but generally they aren't given out much nowadays from what I can tell. I've been given two things to do after confession in my time, both very light. One time I was told to say a certain prayer in my prayer rule, and another time I was told to memorize a certain Bible verse that was applicable to the problem I was having. I've never been told I had to eat bread and water for a week or do 100 prostrations a day or anything of that sort.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:28:14 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
BayStater123

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »

There are penances in the Orthodox Church, but generally they aren't given out much nowadays from what I can tell. I've been given two things to do after confession in my time, both very light. One time I was told to say a certain prayer in my prayer rule, and another time I was told to memorize a certain Bible verse that was applicable to the problem I was having. I've never been told I had to eat bread and water for a week or do 100 prostrations a day or anything of that sort.

Do you feel that RC sacraments are grace-filled? As I said before, an OCA priest told me that they are.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »

I don't know about other traditions, but in Greek Orthodoxy, we don't usually have "penances", we are usually given a "kanon" ("prayer rule") to follow, for example, to add a certain number of prostrations to our daily prayers, or read certain spiritual texts. The aim is not to punish but to correct. There are, however, some sins which are corrected with what you would call "penance" which usually consists of an order to abstain from Communion for a certain time. Often, the Confessor will ask the Penitent to return regularly during this period of excommunication in order to check progress.

Shocked  Huh  Undecided

Yer priest sounds harsh, Dude.
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

Do you feel that RC sacraments are grace-filled? As I said before, an OCA priest told me that they are.

It's his opinion that they are. We all have our opinions.  Wink

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
BayStater123

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

Well I asked you a question. What is YOUR opinion about the matter?  Roll Eyes
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

Well I asked you a question. What is YOUR opinion about the matter?  Roll Eyes

I don't have a definitive opinion one way or another. I do know that God loves and desires the salvation of every single human being. That being said I can't imagine that He would abandon faithful Roman Catholics who are simply living the faith they were born into, the only faith they have ever known.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »

I was told by an Orthodox priest (from the Orthodox Church in America) that Roman Catholic sacraments are grace-filled, but they are administered by schismatic priests.

This is basically St. Augustine's view on schismatic sacraments. However, no such view can be found among the Eastern Fathers and this is essentially nothing more than the personal opinion of this particular priest, not an official position of the Church.

And I was also told that Roman Catholic priests who convert to Orthodoxy are not re-ordained in the Orthodox Church.

This has been the practice among the Russians for quite some time, initially as a way of dealing with the Byzantine Catholics. However, most other jurisdictions would insist on christmation/baptism and ordination.
BayStater123

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »

I was told by an Orthodox priest (from the Orthodox Church in America) that Roman Catholic sacraments are grace-filled, but they are administered by schismatic priests.

This is basically St. Augustine's view on schismatic sacraments. However, no such view can be found among the Eastern Fathers and this is essentially nothing more than the personal opinion of this particular priest, not an official position of the Church.

And I was also told that Roman Catholic priests who convert to Orthodoxy are not re-ordained in the Orthodox Church.

This has been the practice among the Russians for quite some time, initially as a way of dealing with the Byzantine Catholics. However, most other jurisdictions would insist on christmation/baptism and ordination.

Why would they (the other jurisdictions) insist on chrismation/baptism and ordination? We Roman Catholics have maintained apostolic succession and the 7 sacraments. I don't understand why Orthodox can admit that our sacraments are just as valid as theirs are. That is probably one of the greatest stumbling blocks to unity, aside from papal supremacy.
BayStater123

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »

Why would they (the other jurisdictions) insist on chrismation/baptism and ordination? We Roman Catholics have maintained apostolic succession and the 7 sacraments. I don't understand why Orthodox can admit that our sacraments are just as valid as theirs are. That is probably one of the greatest stumbling blocks to unity, aside from papal supremacy.

*can't
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »

Apostolic succession does not merely mean historical continuation - in which case it also applies to Anglicans and Scandinavian Lutherans - but also doctrinal continuity, and this within the apostolic Church.

We confess one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church, not two, not three, not many. The Body of Christ is not divided. If, God willing, there is ever unity, this will mark the return of the schismatic party to the one Church of Christ.

How God is present to those outside the Church is not for us to say. All we know is that God loves them and desires their salvation. However, we can only confess with confidence the "validity" of the Mysteries of the Orthodox Church. It would be reckless, not loving, to leave these things to chance.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:01:51 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
BayStater123

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Apostolic succession does not merely mean historical continuation - in which case it also applies to Anglicans and Scandinavian Lutherans - but also doctrinal continuity, and this within the apostolic Church.

We confess one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church, not two, not three, not many. The Body of Christ is not divided. If, God willing, there is ever unity, this will mark the return of the schismatic party to the one Church of Christ.

How God is present to those outside the Church is not for us to say. However, we can only confess with truth the "validity" of the Mysteries of the Orthodox Church.

The problem with the apostolic succession of the Lutherans and Anglicans is that they changed the crucial wording of their Rites of Ordination, thereby rendering it null and void. The original Rite of Ordination that they used bestowed upon the priestly candidate the powers due to a priest. The Anglican/Lutheran Rites of Ordination turned the priesthood into a lay ministry.
Paisius
High Elder

Reframed

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

How God is present to those outside the Church is not for us to say. However, we can only confess with truth the "validity" of the Mysteries of the Orthodox Church.

The problem with the apostolic succession of the Lutherans and Anglicans is that they changed the crucial wording of their Rites of Ordination, thereby rendering it null and void. The original Rite of Ordination that they used bestowed upon the priestly candidate the powers due to a priest. The Anglican/Lutheran Rites of Ordination turned the priesthood into a lay ministry.

It just seems odd to me that the words used during a rite can destroy Apostolic succession but abandoning the faith of the Apostles does not.  Huh

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

The Mysteries of the Church are not magic incantations. They are God's operation within the Church. Just saying some magic words does not amount to anything when the priest or bishop in question has separated himself from the Church.

It just seems odd to me that the words used during a rite can destroy Apostolic succession but abandoning the faith of the Apostles does not.  Huh

Bingo
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »

I confessEd my sins to an RCC priest and received a penance of three Divine Mercy Chaplets and one Hail Mary prayer. 1. Does anyone think that's excessive and strenuous? 2. Am I still forgiven if I don't do the penance? 3. And onE last thing, does penance exist in Orthodox Christianity?
 Smiley

My, how far we have strayed already in this thread from your OP  Roll Eyes Grin.

To your questions:
1. Not necessarily--it depends very much on you, the priest, and the nature and severity of the sins confessed.  This doesn't sound particularly harsh, really.

2.  My understanding, in spite of what Schultz wrote above, is that yes, you are forgiven and absolved even if you do not do the penances.  It is not the penance that bestows forgiveness and absolution upon you.  It is for your spiritual growth and reflection that they are imposed.  Like I said, that's my understanding and I may be wrong.  I always endeavor to do any penances prescribed in confession as soon as possible afterwards.

Sounds like you would do well to discuss this with your priest, rather than here on an Orthodox internet forum.

3.  Yes.  Some priests prescribe them more than others.  Many only do so very rarely.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:15:25 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
BayStater123

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

The Mysteries of the Church are not magic incantations. They are God's operation within the Church. Just saying some magic words does not amount to anything when the priest or bishop in question has separated himself from the Church.

Bingo

I guess we have different ideas about apostolic succession. I was always taught that if heretics and schismatics maintain apostolic succession by laying of the hands and using the correct formula, whether they be Orthodox or Old Catholic, then their sacraments are valid, but illicit.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:10 PM »

I confessEd my sins to an RCC priest and received a penance of three Divine Mercy Chaplets and one Hail Mary prayer. Does anyone think that's excessive and strenuous?
No. Divine Mercy chaplets don't take a lot of effort.

Why wouldn’t you do it?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

I guess we have different ideas about apostolic succession. I was always taught that if heretics and schismatics maintain apostolic succession by laying of the hands and using the correct formula, whether they be Orthodox or Old Catholic, then their sacraments are valid, but illicit.

This is the Augustinian understanding of the matter, which became normative in the Latin West. The Eastern Fathers never subscribed to such a mechanical and impersonal view of sacraments but understood them in the context of our relationship with Christ as members of His Body, the Church.

How can the mercies and operation of God ever be unlawful?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:25:51 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »

Does anyone think that's excessive and strenuous?

Not really. It sounds like something you could do in a very short space of time.

If you have repented, you're forgiven. Only you can answer whether your failure to fulfill the penance is an indicator of a lack of contrition or not.

And onE last thing, does penance exist in Orthodox Christianity?

Not in the sense of punishment, but as a way of helping us overcome a particular sin and cultivate spiritual growth.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:38:06 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »

@ BayStater123 : What do you want from us?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »

Sounds like you would do well to discuss this with your priest, rather than here on an Orthodox internet forum.

Yes, Baystater123; what exactly brings you to this forum?

Quoting tags editted - MK.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:59:48 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »

Yer priest sounds harsh, Dude.

I was thinking of penances I've read about in medieval slavic areas  angel

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »

Or modern day Cyprus Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »

I don't know. I believe that there are only true/grace-filled sacraments in the Church. So, for me the question becomes: is Catholicism somehow part of the Church in some way akin to how Khomiakov or Met. Kallistos speak of non-Orthodox being invisibly in it? I don't think so, really this seems like a very dangerous theological idea to me... yet I can't at this point go so far as to completely dismiss it. So I just say I don't know. If the priest you are mentioning here is Fr. John Matusiak, fwiw he has helped me in the past and so I have a generally good impression of him, but I would not be as sure about this issue as you are reporting he is.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »

Or modern day Cyprus Smiley

Interesting. I sometimes wonder how Orthodox in certain places like Georgia or Cyprus do things when it comes to this kinda stuff.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »

Repentance in the Orthodox church is what counts.  "Go and sin no more".  It is a directive to live a more Christ like life.

Penance in the RCC is to remind the confessed of the nature of his sins and to think seriously before delving in to sinful thoughts. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »

Repentance in the Orthodox church is what counts.  "Go and sin no more".  It is a directive to live a more Christ like life.

Penance in the RCC is to remind the confessed of the nature of his sins and to think seriously before delving in to sinful thoughts. 

Seems like it should be both, in both groups  Huh

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Seems like it should be both, in both groups  Huh

My experience is that it is, although Catholics and Orthodox may talk about it and practice slightly differently. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
loggats

Faith: Roman Catholic, with an interest in Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Malta

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »

My confessor reminds me be vigilant against stubborn sins, especially if I've fallen into a pattern. But after leaving the confessional, the sin is no longer a burden in the same way so I would not keep dwelling on it.

Obviously most sins have ramifications that affect others around me, and my life in a larger context, so I try to keep mindful of ways I should act that would reflect my change of heart.

Still, easier said than done I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:26:08 PM by loggats » Logged

Halts by me that footfall;
  Is my gloom, after all,
Shade of His hand, outstreched caressingly?
  "Ah, fondest, blindest, weakest,
  I am He Whom thou seekest!
Thou dravest love from thee, who dravest Me."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: