Author Topic: Unusual Iconostases  (Read 80961 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Unusual Iconostases
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »
Zahle diocese, Lebanon

Is that the interior of the one you posted in the "Church Architecture" thread?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #361 on: September 12, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
^^No, exterior of this looks like pretty normal

And that's interior of the church from the architecture thread:

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #362 on: September 12, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #363 on: September 14, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
Aiud, Romania

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
I like the Resurrection icon over the Royal Doors.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
Aiud, Romania

I love how it's very minimalist yet still unmistakably Orthodox.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #366 on: September 15, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
Orthodox church in Brno (Czech Republic)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: just orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: technically Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #367 on: September 15, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
The iconostasis of St. Michael's in Hammond (the cube/bomb shelter looking one) is actually quite nice, though unusually open:

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #368 on: September 15, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
It's kind of like a Rood Screen, in that sense.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »
The iconostasis of St. Michael's in Hammond (the cube/bomb shelter looking one) is actually quite nice, though unusually open:

I really like this iconostasis, because it is full height, and it has curtains, so it is effective in obscuring the altar, but it does not completely hide the altar from view (which is usually desirable, but here, the interior lighting of the church requires luminscence from the abstract stained glass windows).

There is also a (slightly wreckovated) St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Hammond, Indiana, which is being used for the Tridentine mass under the auspices of the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest, so anyone seeking a beautiful liturgy in Hammond has two good options: https://chicago.carpe-diem.events/calendar/8504725-solemn-high-mass-at-st-josephs-church-in-hammond-in-at-5310-s-hohman-ave-hammond-in-46320-1808-united-states/

Confusingly there is also a St. Michael’s Melkite Church there; I do wish Byzantine Catholic, Assyrian, and Orthodox churches would take care to avoid duplication of names in a given city (especially the case with St. Mary; whoever builds the first church dedicated to the Theotokos has won, and everyone else should move on; in the greater  Los Angeles area you have St. Mary’s Jacobite Syrian Church, St. Mary’s Assyrian Church of the East, St. Mary and Athanasius Coptic Church, St. Mary and Pishoy Copric church, St. Mary’s Macedonian Orthodox Church, The Holy Virgin Mary Russian Orthodox Cathedral, St. Mary’s Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and several others.

~

The ugly cube design of this church could be fixed and made to look splendid with some Russian Baroque / Neo-Classical ornamentation, with faux-pillasters and friezes of the Corinthian Order, gilded, and iconography painted on each side of the cube, and a new portico decorated with a spectacular, iconographic pediment, again with bas relied freezes.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:39:30 PM by Alpha60 »
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
By the way Dominika, I despair to advise you, all your pictures are missing!
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
By the way Dominika, I despair to advise you, all your pictures are missing!

Because they're a few months or even more old and they're from FB.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
Confusingly there is also a St. Michael’s Melkite Church there; I do wish Byzantine Catholic, Assyrian, and Orthodox churches would take care to avoid duplication of names in a given city (especially the case with St. Mary; whoever builds the first church dedicated to the Theotokos has won, and everyone else should move on; in the greater  Los Angeles area you have St. Mary’s Jacobite Syrian Church, St. Mary’s Assyrian Church of the East, St. Mary and Athanasius Coptic Church, St. Mary and Pishoy Copric church, St. Mary’s Macedonian Orthodox Church, The Holy Virgin Mary Russian Orthodox Cathedral, St. Mary’s Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and several others.

Impossible, especially in in certain area a certain saint is especially venerated.
And as for the Theotokos: there are various miraclous icons and feasts dedicated to Her, so that's one of the reasons so many churchers are of st. Mary or the Theotokos, but in fact they have different names and feast days.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: just orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: technically Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
If for some reason St. Michael's isn't to your liking, St. Demetrios is a few blocks down the road:

I'll have to visit next time I see my parents, which isn't too often. Looks quite nice as well.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »

And as for the Theotokos: there are various miraclous icons and feasts dedicated to Her, so that's one of the reasons so many churchers are of st. Mary or the Theotokos, but in fact they have different names and feast days.

I have no problem with that.  But in Los Angeles, St. Mary is not the patron saint of the city, and all of these churches are just named “St. Mary” and not “Holy Dormition” or “Holy Annunciation” or “Nativity of the Theotokos.”  I think there is a Protection of the Theotokos church, which is very good.

My frustration is there are all these beautiful Marian holidays, yet all these churches just went with St. Mary.  You could fill a city with Marian parishes each with a different feast day related to the Theotokos, but they did not do that.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:38 PM »

I have no problem with that.  But in Los Angeles, St. Mary is not the patron saint of the city, and all of these churches are just named “St. Mary” and not “Holy Dormition” or “Holy Annunciation” or “Nativity of the Theotokos.”  I think there is a Protection of the Theotokos church, which is very good.

My frustration is there are all these beautiful Marian holidays, yet all these churches just went with St. Mary.  You could fill a city with Marian parishes each with a different feast day related to the Theotokos, but they did not do that.
But she is.  Los Angeles is from El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles.  St Vibiana did not show up till later.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:06 AM »
Well, that’s an RC issue.

At any rate, here is an unusual iconostasis in the London City church of St. Dunstan in the West, used by the Romanian Orthodox (one of three altars installed in the octagonal parish):

This I should also stress is the kind of full height, awe-inspiring, humility-fostering iconostasis which provokes a strong reverence in me for the Divine Mystery.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:30:14 AM by Alpha60 »
-Cato the Elder

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
...I do wish Byzantine Catholic, Assyrian, and Orthodox churches would take care to avoid duplication of names in a given city (especially the case with St. Mary; whoever builds the first church dedicated to the Theotokos has won, and everyone else should move on...

I don’t know what tradition you currently adhere to, but in mine, which also was yours at least at one time, all churches and the main altar in them (assuming there is more than one) are dedicated to the Mother of God.  They may also have a patron saint after whose name they are known and who is particularly venerated there, but the primary patron is the Mother of God. 

We will never move on.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »

At any rate, here is an unusual iconostasis in the London City church of St. Dunstan in the West, used by the Romanian Orthodox (one of three altars installed in the octagonal parish):

This I should also stress is the kind of full height, awe-inspiring, humility-fostering iconostasis which provokes a strong reverence in me for the Divine Mystery.

That’s an interesting set up.  Is it a shared church?

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
Re: Unusual Iconostase
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
...I do wish Byzantine Catholic, Assyrian, and Orthodox churches would take care to avoid duplication of names in a given city (especially the case with St. Mary; whoever builds the first church dedicated to the Theotokos has won, and everyone else should move on...

I don’t know what tradition you currently adhere to, but in mine, which also was yours at least at one time, all churches and the main altar in them (assuming there is more than one) are dedicated to the Mother of God.  They may also have a patron saint after whose name they are known and who is particularly venerated there, but the primary patron is the Mother of God. 

We will never move on.

I don’t object to that at all, rather, its the duplication of naming, because it causes confusion.  Internally every Orthodox church should, even if it does not reach the Syriac Orthodox standard, feature some mariological sections, and there is also Mariological typology in the very nature of an Orthodox church.  The only problem is if every church is called St. Mary’s, it causes confusion.  Thus, in London, you find numerous additions to the name of the Theotokos to indicate geography, which I find to be impious.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:32:41 PM by Alpha60 »
-Cato the Elder

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:08 PM »

That’s an interesting set up.  Is it a shared church?

Yes.  The Romanian Orthodox have used the iconostasis for a very long time; it was shipped from Romania many many decades ago.  The Anglicans I believe use the other two.   A configuration like this had occurred to me to accomodate the differences in worship between Eastern and Western Rite Orthodox, and so I was amused to find a church where it was actually implemented.

I have been conducting a survey of all the churches in some boroughs of Greater London, specifically, in the Square Mile of the City of London, and in the City of Westminster.   These two localities represent two of the great collections of architecturally related churches in the world, on a par with Coptic Cairo and Mount Athos, and the Muscovite churches in pre-Soviet times, so researching them in this manner has been extremely edifying.  I have been in several of them personally.
-Cato the Elder