OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:57:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the moral of being impregnanted by the Holy Spirit(Virgin Mary)  (Read 4936 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

what do the words she was found with child from the Holy Spirit mean ?
God made her pregnant without the need of a male counterpart.

how?
Maybe reading about cloning will help, Azul. Then you can learn how non-sexual reproduction occurs.

Cloning, in-vitro fertilization , etc.. This could also serve as a moral for surogate motherhood, single moms , incompatible couples, etc... Actually i was thinking of these when i opened the thread but I wanted to get my thoughts in line.. They still need to get in line..

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »

how?
He never told us how and we don't know.  We had become very comfortable and accustomed with "I don't know" in many of our answers, only because it doesn't matter to us anymore for our spiritual growth.  I believe I gave you the answer to why.  I hope you don't just repeat asking questions mindlessly to irritate others here.

I believe they matter the most.

How does that matter for your salvation?  Sounds like Roman theology, having to have an answer for everything.  If you have to dissect something to figure out how it works, you land up killing it in the process.  Somethings are a mystery and should remain as such.  

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »

how?
He never told us how and we don't know.  We had become very comfortable and accustomed with "I don't know" in many of our answers, only because it doesn't matter to us anymore for our spiritual growth.  I believe I gave you the answer to why.  I hope you don't just repeat asking questions mindlessly to irritate others here.

How does that matter for your salvation?  Sounds like Roman theology, having to have an answer for everything.  If you have to dissect something to figure out how it works, you land up killing it in the process.  Somethings are a mystery and should remain as such.  

he said spiritual growth not salvation... everything new matters for spiritual growth, essp "mysteries" like this.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »

PtA, here's where all those patristic recommendations of dispassion actually come in handy.
I think I actually am being dispassionate here. Many here wish to address Azul's questions at face value. I think--as well as do a few others, apparently--that there's an underlying issue that needs to be brought to light and confronted, or else our dialogue with him will be less effective. Most of those who want to address his questions at face value are missing this underlying issue, IMO.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »

how?

Why?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »

PtA, here's where all those patristic recommendations of dispassion actually come in handy.
I think I actually am being dispassionate here. Many here wish to address Azul's questions at face value. I think--as well as do a few others, apparently--that there's an underlying issue that needs to be brought to light and confronted, or else our dialogue with him will be less effective. Most of those who want to address his questions at face value are missing this underlying issue, IMO.
I also feel he is withholding some vital bit of information.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »

(and the contemporary understanding of virginity, which is based upon the hymen being intact)

Believing more and more the biology teacher at a college in KY that most of her students failed a simple exam on human reproduction.

Contemporary... referring to the 1st century.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

It sounds like the typical invented pagan birth stories of pagan gods..

That's why it's so brilliant. Because it actually happened.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

Just think about it.How would YOU react if you were a witness of a baby appearing from a woman`s vagina without producing any damage to it and preserving her hymen intact.

We don't have to imagine:

"And they stood in the place of the cave, and behold a luminous cloud overshadowed the cave. And the midwife said: My soul has been magnified this day, because my eyes have seen strange things—because salvation has been brought forth to Israel. And immediately the cloud disappeared out of the cave, and a great light shone in the cave, so that the eyes could not bear it. And in a little that light gradually decreased, until the infant appeared, and went and took the breast from His mother Mary. And the midwife cried out, and said: This is a great day to me, because I have seen this strange sight. And the midwife went forth out of the cave, and Salome met her. And she said to her: Salome, Salome, I have a strange sight to relate to you: a virgin has brought forth— a thing which her nature admits not of. Then said Salome: As the Lord my God lives, unless I thrust in my finger, and search the parts, I will not believe that a virgin has brought forth.

"And the midwife went in, and said to Mary: Show yourself; for no small controversy has arisen about you. And Salome put in her finger, and cried out, and said: Woe is me for mine iniquity and mine unbelief, because I have tempted the living God; and, behold, my hand is dropping off as if burned with fire."

- Protoevangelium of James 19-20
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:08:06 PM by age234 » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »

Dude really

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
age234
High Elder

« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »

Dude really

Really.  Cool
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »

I'm watching the History Channel and I'm thinking, if we can't explain the Ica stones, how can anyone expect us to explain the Virgin Birth?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »

What did it mean that the Virgin got impregnanted by the Holy Spirit and what is the moral (teaching) behind that?Also what is the teaching of Mary's perpetual virginity and why would she be a perpetual virgin? What theological aspect would perpetual virginity emphasis.. I`m asking this more from the humanistical / empirical pov. What is the moral behind Mary's civil/betrothed/marital/maternal status? Mary is consider as the woman archtype so what can we draw out of the aforementioned?

The moral.....

I guess when you are God, you make up the rules for what you do...
It's pretty simple.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Just think about it.How would YOU react if you were a witness of a baby appearing from a woman`s vagina without producing any damage to it and preserving her hymen intact.

We don't have to imagine:

"And they stood in the place of the cave, and behold a luminous cloud overshadowed the cave. And the midwife said: My soul has been magnified this day, because my eyes have seen strange things—because salvation has been brought forth to Israel. And immediately the cloud disappeared out of the cave, and a great light shone in the cave, so that the eyes could not bear it. And in a little that light gradually decreased, until the infant appeared, and went and took the breast from His mother Mary. And the midwife cried out, and said: This is a great day to me, because I have seen this strange sight. And the midwife went forth out of the cave, and Salome met her. And she said to her: Salome, Salome, I have a strange sight to relate to you: a virgin has brought forth— a thing which her nature admits not of. Then said Salome: As the Lord my God lives, unless I thrust in my finger, and search the parts, I will not believe that a virgin has brought forth.

"And the midwife went in, and said to Mary: Show yourself; for no small controversy has arisen about you. And Salome put in her finger, and cried out, and said: Woe is me for mine iniquity and mine unbelief, because I have tempted the living God; and, behold, my hand is dropping off as if burned with fire."

That same story is in our Ethiopian Synaxarium and Calendar, so I'd say it is rather legit Smiley

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

What did it mean that the Virgin got impregnanted by the Holy Spirit and what is the moral (teaching) behind that?Also what is the teaching of Mary's perpetual virginity and why would she be a perpetual virgin? What theological aspect would perpetual virginity emphasis.. I`m asking this more from the humanistical / empirical pov. What is the moral behind Mary's civil/betrothed/marital/maternal status? Mary is consider as the woman archtype so what can we draw out of the aforementioned?

Mary's impregnation by the Holy Spirit is symbolic of the same potential to be filled with God's Grace in our own lives.  She was an ordinary human woman who was so highly blessed by God as to contain the Word of God inside Her bodily, and we are also so blessed after because through the Incarnation Jesus Christ took on Flesh and Blood that we might receive Him in the Holy Communion.  The moral? She accepted God's will when she said, "Behold, I am the maidservant of the Lord, let it be as according to your word."  God didn't force Himself on the Virgin Mary, the pregnancy was mutual action of synergy of the Holy Spirit and also the will of the Virgin Herself.  The perpetual virginity has several layers of meaning, but essentially, it is to say that She was preserved by the sanctification of the active and dynamic Grace of God, of which She is filled to be "Full of Grace" and also the "Fountain of Grace".  In affirming that She is forever the [ or a ] Virgin, even if illogically after giving birth to a Son, we are acknowledging this miracle of God, as it is His Grace which preserves Her virginity in perpetuity.  Further, Her Virginity is symbolic of Her purity and holiness, again by virtue of proximity of the Grace of God.  In the humanistic sense, both the impregnation and also perpetual virginity are manifestations of God's mercy, love, and hope for humanity.  She represents the best of all human potential, and what in synergy with God we can hope to become. In regards to Her civil marriage and life in the world, and status as Mother of the Church, She is also symbolically representing the sanctity of work, of family, of society, of duty, of responsibility.  God helps us day by day to do what we have to to raise our families, to keep our heads straight, and to live in a society where we try our best to love our neighbors as ourselves.  The Virgin Mary symbolized these same virtues and aspirations in that She lived this way as an example.  Jesus Christ is all good, but He is God, so we expect Him to live a perfect life, and the Apostles are good men too, but in the opposite direction sometimes their faults are as glaringly obvious as their virtues.  However with the Virgin Mary, we find the perfect example of God interacting with humanity, and humanity reacting to God in mutual accordance.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

As I said i was asking this implications more for a humanistic perception.First i`m interested into the empirical humanistic interpretations and than in the theological ones.You provided more the theological ones.

The Kebra Negast in the Ethiopian culture talks about the Pearl which was put in Adam and which was transferred until the Virgin Mary and became Jesus Christ.  The Angel Gabriel was assigned specifically to protect the family which carried the Pearl, and this pearl is realistically symbolic of the very DNA which God put in Adam, which was intended to be the DNA of Jesus Christ.  The connection between a "pearl" and the human ovum seem fairly obvious in the connection with the Virgin Birth.  Further, at a humanistic level the Virgin Birth symbolizes purity, hope, and kindness, the highest of human virtues.  It is  Virgin Birth which is to say an acceptable and also miraculous birth, in the same way the the American Revolution gave birth to a country, and the Manhattan project gave birth to the atomic bomb. She gave birth as a symbol of our own collective society and human race which birthed the goodness in ourselves, as a collective, grass-roots effort just like the collective of American colonists grouped to birth their nation, and the scientists grouped together to build the bomb.  Our society has built around this symbol and concept of Virgin Mary a means of explaining and symbolizing our inner goodness.  

Jesus Christ as a humanistic concept is a symbol of the impulse for a greater good in the human experience.  People of faith attribute this to God, but empirically speaking, Jesus is a symbol of our better nature, and She (as  as symbol of the human race as a whole) gave birth to Him, which is to say that the human race has given by our collective and mutual efforts have brought about manifestations of the actions and feelings of goodness, of justice, of positivity, of love.   Hence also even the arguments about if Jesus has two natures or one or two as one or one as two, in a similar vain to the reasoning of Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf creature, part wolf, part man, and yet really a million things more.  The Virgin Birth in a mechanical sense, well my friend, that simply can't be explained.  There is Medieval French lore and legends which have been revived in the Dan Brown sagas of the Virgin Mary actually having been impregnated by Jewish priests from the Temple, I suppose that is a strictly humanistic and also mechanical interpretation of the Virgin Birth, but again, I'm not even sure secular humanists would be content with such a straight-forward explanation.  There is hardly any room for symbolism and motif in that version as can be in the secularized interpretations of the Virgin Mary as a character which demonstrates certain aspects of humanity and the human experience.  While I believe and in fact know the Virgin Mary to be real, tangible, and true as an act of God, none-the-less, She is also AT THE SAME time very much a character in a book and a story and a composite narrative of the past 2000 years of human culture.  So surely we can also use the same skills of literary analysis that we do for novels and short stories or when reading the Iliad or the Odyssey in regards to the Virgin Mary.  In that regard as I said, She and the Virgin Birth symbolize hope, purity, and the dignity of humble kindness.  These are the traits that make human society thrive and flourish, and make even sunny days out of desolate war-zones.  Further, She represents hope in that She gave birth to Jesus Christ, who is again the very symbol and personification of all the good of the human experience.  

Of course I am only playing devil's advocate with you on this one, I could only believe this analysis if it is used to further my relationship and understanding of my experience with God and with my fellow men, so basically I am much more content with the Apostolic certified theological explanations than my own meanderings through the highly debatable world of literature Smiley

Azul, that wasn't secular or humanistic enough for you?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:29:47 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

I like Rojo more.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »

Dear Azul,
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

You Sir are being warned for 40 days for an ad hominem.

MK

Cutest ad hominem ever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »

I'm watching the History Channel and I'm thinking, if we can't explain the Ica stones, how can anyone expect us to explain the Virgin Birth?

If only Descartes had had the History Channel to spurn him on in his investigations . . . 

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »

how?

he said spiritual growth not salvation... everything new matters for spiritual growth, essp "mysteries" like this.

Why not accept the Virgin Birth as a mystery?  How is not accepting the Virgin Birth affecting spiritual growth?  What is "everything?"
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

how?
He never told us how and we don't know.  We had become very comfortable and accustomed with "I don't know" in many of our answers, only because it doesn't matter to us anymore for our spiritual growth.  I believe I gave you the answer to why.  I hope you don't just repeat asking questions mindlessly to irritate others here.

Why not accept the Virgin Birth as a mystery?  How is not accepting the Virgin Birth affecting spiritual growth?  What is "everything?"

1.Because i believe mysteries can be explained till a certain point.

2.I don`t know.

3.The unveiling of new things of faith = everything.. the deeper understanding and perception of things..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:04:02 PM by Azul » Logged

Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

generally i don`t accept kreepy / weird magic (i don`t take is as genuine).. i think all mysteries must have a logic of some manner..

Mahatma Gandhi
Pan Michał
Elder

Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »

generally i don`t accept kreepy / weird magic (i don`t take is as genuine).. i think all mysteries must have a logic of some manner..

Where's the logic in the relations of The Holy Trinity?
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

everywhere.

Mahatma Gandhi
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »

everywhere.
That's a non-answer.

Would you elaborate?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:54:59 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »

everywhere.
That's a non-answer.

Would you elaborate?

on which aspect from the relations of the Holy Trinity would you like me to elaborate?

Mahatma Gandhi
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

everywhere.
That's a non-answer.

Would you elaborate?

on which aspect from the relations of the Holy Trinity would you like me to elaborate?

I'm reminded of the story of St. Augustine trying to understand the mystery of the Holy Trinity, when he saw a little boy dig a hole in the sand and try to empty the ocean into the hole.  The little boy told him it was easier to empty the ocean into the hole than to understand the mystery of the Holy Trinity.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:24:19 PM by Monk Vasyl » Logged

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »

the mystery of the trinity was clearly understood .. see the niceo-constantinopolitan creed..

Mahatma Gandhi
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »

how?
He never told us how and we don't know.  We had become very comfortable and accustomed with "I don't know" in many of our answers, only because it doesn't matter to us anymore for our spiritual growth.  I believe I gave you the answer to why.  I hope you don't just repeat asking questions mindlessly to irritate others here.

Why not accept the Virgin Birth as a mystery?  How is not accepting the Virgin Birth affecting spiritual growth?  What is "everything?"

Like the Big Bang?  Like who shot JFK?

2.I don`t know.

That in itself is a valid answer.  Seems like it's not good enough for you to accept.

3.The unveiling of new things of faith = everything.. the deeper understanding and perception of things..

I don't follow what you mean by the unveiling of new things.  If you are an Orthodox Christian, the Annunciation and the Virgin Birth have already been revealed to you as a mystery.  No deeper understanding and perception of things is required.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »

sadly Orthodoxy is too much against scholasticism and demonizes it too much... i think that is wrong and a wrong aproach.. it is clear that the early fathers used a LOT of philosophy in their writings..

Mahatma Gandhi
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »

sadly Orthodoxy is too much against scholasticism and demonizes it too much... i think that is wrong and a wrong aproach.. it is clear that the early fathers used a LOT of philosophy in their writings..

I love education.  I never liked Greek Philosophy.   Smiley
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »

the mystery of the trinity was clearly understood .. see the niceo-constantinopolitan creed..

Not really.  We have the doctrine of 3 Persons in 1 God, but how that happens is a mystery.  Rome tried to explain things and came up with the filioque heresy.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

how?

2.I don`t know.

That in itself is a valid answer.  Seems like it's not good enough for you to accept.

I don't follow what you mean by the unveiling of new things.  If you are an Orthodox Christian, the Annunciation and the Virgin Birth have already been revealed to you as a mystery.  No deeper understanding and perception of things is required.

To my understanding, there are no new revelations.  All has been revealed.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »

Azul, you list yourself as "Român Ortodox Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox", I'm confused, what are you?  This would help me understand where you are coming from.

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

Not really.  We have the doctrine of 3 Persons in 1 God, but how that happens is a mystery.  Rome tried to explain things and came up with the filioque heresy.

no.. you have three hypostases in one ousia ..

Mark 12:29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: SHEMA YISRAIL , ADONAI ELOHEINU ADONAI ECHAD!

on your knees this ground is holy..

Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »

Azul, you list yourself as "Român Ortodox Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox", I'm confused, what are you?  This would help me understand where you are coming from.

there is no particular book or philosophy from where i am coming from, but from my thinking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:04:57 PM by Azul » Logged

Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

how?

2.I don`t know.

To my understanding, there are no new revelations.  All has been revealed.

theology develops in time.

Mahatma Gandhi
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

I remember what my spiritual father would say, "Christ never said, 'Take, read, this is my book.'  He said, 'Come follow Me.'  'Take, eat, this is My Body.'"

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »

I remember what my spiritual father would say, "Christ never said, 'Take, read, this is my book.'  He said, 'Come follow Me.'  'Take, eat, this is My Body.'"

He also said "Seek the Scriptures" and "this is the eternal life that they know thee the one God and Jesus Christ whom ye have send"  and "why do you not understand my saying?" and "to you the mysteries are given to be known" .. and with this we end it because we have been going in the wrong direction and deviating from the OP.. If you want to discuss this particular subject open another thread.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:23:15 PM by Azul » Logged

Mahatma Gandhi
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »

Really so logical? 1+1+1=1? Where's the logic in that?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

Really so logical? 1+1+1=1? Where's the logic in that?

Is this Kerdy?

Every problem has its own appropriate logic.

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »

1+1+1=1?

no such thing.

Mahatma Gandhi
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »

Is this Kerdy?

I'm only trying to point that there are some things, that are not logical, nothing more Smiley.

no such thing.

Really? Is our God One? If not, someone here is not entirely Orthodox Wink.

If our God is One, is then Father, Son and Holy Spirit full Beings? If They are not, someone here is not Orthodox Wink.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »

Is this Kerdy?

I'm only trying to point that there are some things, that are not logical, nothing more Smiley.

no such thing.

If our God is One, is then Father, Son and Holy Spirit full Beings? If They are not, someone here is not Orthodox Wink.

Do you think it is appropriate to use an internet forum to call into question the Orthodoxy of someone who is obviously going through a rough patch and is using a language which is not their native tongue to discuss complicated subject matter?

And you are wrong, the Trinity is logical. You have a rather low view of what logic is.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:54:45 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »

Do you think it is appropriate to use an internet forum to call into question the Orthodoxy of someone who is obviously going through a rough patch and is using a language which is not their native tongue to discuss complicated subject matter?

And you are wrong, the Trinity is logical. You have a rather low view of what logic is.

If Azul feels offended, my apologies then, it was not my goal. I obviously am not judging his "orthodoxy", just that what he thinks about the matter is not orthodox teaching.

He posts questions about complicated Christian dogmas in an internet forum. I am sure that he knows that anonymous internet forumites are not a source of valueable information.

And I'm not a native English speaker, too.

And, tell me how come 1+1+1=1 in logical matter. Maybe I am wrong, I'll gladly accept the answer. No sarcasm here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:01:01 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Is this Kerdy?

no such thing.

You probably haven`t heard of St. Spyridon..

And probably haven`t heard of the perichoretic interpenetration..

The Father , Son and Holy Spirit are not literal being beings the way you are falsely misguided to believe.And that is not the Orthodox teaching.

Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »

If Azul feels offended, my apologies then, it was not my goal. I obviously am not judging his "orthodoxy", just that what he thinks about the matter is not orthodox teaching.

He posts questions about complicated Christian dogmas in an internet forum. I am sure that he knows that anonymous internet forumites are not a source of valueable information.

And I'm not a native English speaker, too.

And, tell me how come 1+1+1=1 in logical matter. Maybe I am wrong, I'll gladly accept the answer. No sarcasm here.

1+1+1 = 3

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1

Mahatma Gandhi
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: