OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:49:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first (long) post  (Read 1605 times) Average Rating: 0
phronesis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AWRV

St. Mark, Pillar of Orthodoxy, pray for me.

« on: August 07, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

Christ is among us!

While I've been lurking on these boards for over six months, I've been waiting for the right occasion to make my first post. Well, this is it: yesterday, my wife and I mailed 'The Letter' to our family letting them know that we are joining the Orthodox Church.

Here's our story (preemptive apologies for the length).

I was born and raised in the United Methodist Church, baptized by my grandfather, a Methodist minister. My wife was raised in the pentecostal tradition, her great-grandfather having been an overseer in the Church of God. We met each other in a Christian fellowship that was affiliated with an Anglican Church (i.e., not TEC). For both of us, it was our first introduction to Anglicanism, the book of common prayer, and formal liturgy. It wasn't much of a leap for me (in fact, I felt more at home there than in any church I'd been it; I felt it was what I had always been looking for); but was definitely a bit of a jump for her. That said, we both found a home there and grew quite fond of Anglicanism. We were married by an Anglican priest using the 1662 Book of Common Prayer wedding service.

Our first church family as a newlywed couple was a true blessing. It was small, close-knit and full of the love of Christ. To this day, I've no doubt that Christ is present there and the Holy Spirit at work. Having this support was amazing, especially since, all in the first year after we got married: I finished law school; my wife gave birth to our first child; I studied for and took the bar (and somehow passed); we moved across the country; and I began a new job. I get tired just remembering 2011. And I still choke up thinking back to our last liturgy at that parish. I almost kept it together through the service, but by the time I was walking away from the communion rail I had tears streaming down my face. It took all my manly strength just to not openly sob through the finals hymns.

After moving, there are many things one has to do to get oriented to their new surroundings. For us, finding a church home was obvious at the top of the list. Unfortunately, there were big shoes to fill. And on top of that, as you might guess from our backgrounds as described above, my wife and I have widely divergent liturgical preferences. Our first parish somehow managed to perfectly walk the line between our respective tastes, I being thoroughly Anglo-Catholic and she more charismatic (though I never did warm to the djembe that punctuated our otherwise beautiful, organ-led English hymns). But despite the plethora of Anglican parishes in our area, we never did find one that we both enjoyed. Eventually, I made an executive decision to settle on a church where we knew some people and where, despite their insistence on setting the Sanctus to a drum set, the Holy Spirit was clearly present.

But obviously, I was not content. Any yet -and I cannot stress this enough - this discontent was not merely aesthetic. By this point, my wife was expecting our second child. Our family was growing. And long separated from my carefree, alcohol-soaked college and law school days, I was now a family man. I was not only providing the material needs of three other souls, but was also responsible for their spiritual formation and guidance. I became increasingly aware that I wasn't going to be up to the task unless I got my own spiritual house in order.

And so, in between prayers to be a better father and husband, I was praying for God to show me which parish He wanted us to be in. In the beginning, I was asking Him to tell me which Anglican parish we should join. But as I kept hearing only silence in reply, I grew more exasperated and desperate. Finally, I found myself praying simply, "God, tell me what to do. Show me where to go. I don't know what to do. I don't what I'm supposed to want. So just tell me. Just show me what you want me to do. I give up."

He listened - funny how He does that when you ask Him what He wants instead of for what you want. The answer came when I was doing yet another internet search for churches in our area and found myself looking at pictures on the website of an Orthodox church. I suddenly felt what I can only describe as an iron fist gripping me inside my chest and pulling me. I didn't need to hear any words because the message was clear and God was saying, "Go here." I immediately began to just cry. Partly because I was overwhelmed, but also because I knew how difficult this was going to be. But God's answer was too clear to ignore.

That evening at dinner, I told my wife that I felt God had given me an answer to my prayers about our church situation. But I told her I wanted her to pray about it for a week before I told her what it was. I knew it wasn't going to go over easy. Well, a week later she was anxious to know. I recounted to her the experience and that I believed God was leading us to Orthodoxy. Aaaand, she proceeded to cry for probably two hours. No, not in a good way. She was not at all keen on Orthodoxy.

It felt like a sock to the gut. But for some reason, I wasn't discouraged. Inexplicably, I knew we would get through it. I knew God had given me instructions and that He would be faithful to us in seeing them carried out.

Well, the next Sunday the priest at the Anglican parish we were attending was recounting the conversations he had had with various ministers and priests at other churches in the area regarding the use of their facilities (the church is losing their property to TEC). He recounted specifically a conversation with the priest of the church whose website I had been looking at when God spoke to me. The Orthodox priest told him that they were brothers and sisters in Christ and what was theirs was ours and they would be happy to help in anyway they could. That night, my wife casually remarked on that story, "the Orthodox must believe something different than what I thought, so maybe we should take a second look." I readily accepted and tried my hardest to not audibly shout for joy. God is great.

So began several months of meeting with an Orthodox priest in our town. My wife had prepared a list of questions about specific doctrines to go over: Mary, icons, original sin, Orthodox ecclesiology, etc. You know, the easy stuff. And so week by week, we chipped away. Sometimes, with more difficulty than others. But we were fortunate to be meeting with a priest whose graciousness and patience knew no bounds.

Eventually, however, my wife couldn't do it anymore. She felt like she was just fighting the priest every time, and with no help from me, and it was wearing her out. She told me she needed to take a break. I understood, and agreed to not bring up Orthodoxy until she was ready. I went and met with the priest one last time. I explained that, by then, I was entirely on board. I hadn't figured out every doctrine, but I had come to the realization that there can be only one Body of Christ (for Christ is indivisible) and so there can be only one Church - and the Holy Catholic Orthodox Church is that church. Everything else flows from that. I also explained that my wife, however, did not quite see it that way.

Being full of wisdom, the priest suggested I take a new approach. He told me to simply start being Orthodox. Pray every morning and evening before our icons, and before and after meals, cross myself, etc. He pointed out that rational arguments often won't convince someone the truth of a faith. They must witness it. I, he told me, was going to have to become the example of Orthodoxy my wife needed to see. Indeed, in a later conversation, my wife told me nearly those exact words. She'd known too many Orthodox Christians who didn't take their faith seriously or who were pharasaic about it; I was going to have to show her what it meant.

And so I began trying to do just that. I began praying morning and evening prayers before icons of Christ, St. George, and the Annunciation. I crossed myself openly.

No less than a week or two later, my wife and I began a series of conversations. I won't say there were all happy conversations. Some verged on heated, most ended in tears. But we were honest with each other. A source of difficulty, but also I think a blessing, was that we were both committed to attending the same church. That was nonnegotiable.

Finally, my wife saw two things. She told me that she realized I wasn't turning back and that this is where the rubber meets the road with respect to male spiritual headship. So she was going to try to go along. She even got a copy of the Apostolic Fathers to read (!). She also said that she had noticed how I had changed over the past 4 or 5 months. That I swore less, lost my temper less, and was becoming a better father and husband. Words cannot express how this moved me - not out of pride, but out of gratefulness to God for His great mercy, the compassion of His Son, and the comfort of the Holy Spirit. For I knew that it was not I who deserved any credit, but God alone. It was not my plan being carried out, but His will. The best that could be said of me is that I was finally trying, however feebly, to follow it.

We also agreed on a compromise: we would try attending a nearby Western Rite parish (AWRV). [Now, I know this is where some may roll their eyes, thinking that we are a perfect example of the problem with the Western Rite, that it's for people who want to compromise, who want to be "Orthodox, but not too Orthodox." I admit that I felt the same at first. But our priest there convinced me in about 30 seconds. Literally. I will post an apology for the Western Rite here later.]

Our first visit there was a breath of fresh air for my wife (and for me!). Finally! she said. You can be Western and Orthodox. We knew the hymns, the liturgy was familiar, and the people were our people (it is a parish of converts). After service, we arranged to meet with the priest after church the next Sunday. That meeting was a watershed moment. The priest, who came from a background nearly identical to that of my wife, was able to help her see that becoming Orthodox wouldn't mean rejecting her family or the faith they gave her. After that meeting, we agreed to begin regularly attending the Western Rite parish and to see where that led. About a week after that, she told me she was ready to begin catechism.

All glory be to God, for He is great and merciful and wondrous are His ways.

And so here we are. Yesterday we sent out a letter to our family telling them that we are joining the Orthodox Church. And later we will let some of our closer friends know (to be honest, I'm more worried about them, as many are very theologically opinionated).

It's been a wild ride - and it is far from over - but God has shown me, if nothing else, that He is faithful to the end. I can only try to do the same.

Yours in Christ,

phronesis
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum, and glory to God for helping you Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

Welcome to the forum!!!

Wonderful story!  Thanks for sharing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

Glory be to God!

Welcome to the forum and also welcome home!  There is  an Internet site that is about folks who have journeyed to Orthodoxy. You may want to share your wonderful story with Father John Peck at http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:09:23 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

Just curious what ethnicity is your wife?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

Your post made me remember a similar incident at an Antiochian church middle eastern festival. I was taking the church tour, and as we stood in the choir loft, looking out over the sanctuary, I felt the same iron fist and pull. As if that wasn't weird enough, I also heard a voice saying, "This is the way that I want it to be."
(Now I am not one of those mystical folks - I am far too practical and down-to-earth. I even instinctively distrust stories like this. But it was real and it happened and it scared the bejeebers out of me. I was so scared I could hardly walk down the steps, and I didn't tell my husband for weeks because I thought he would think I had gone crazy!)

Moral of the story: be careful when you ask God to show you what He wants you to do!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

Christ is among us!
He is and ever shall be!

Wonderful and courageous story, phronesis!  Thank you so, so much for sharing it with us.  It was a blessing for me to read because my own wife tends to see converting to Orthodoxy as denying her parents.  May the Lord bless and keep you always!  And...welcome to the forum!  I hope to read a lot more from you, brother.

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

thanks for sharing. keep being patient.
 Smiley
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

Moral of the story: be careful when you ask God to show you what He wants you to do!

How very true!  He will show you, the question then becomes are you ready.  Which reminds me of a saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it."
phronesis

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »

Just curious what ethnicity is your wife?

We're both as WASPy as can be. Well, WASO now, I suppose Wink

And thank you, everyone, for the kind comments and words of encouragement. I'm remembering now a few more details I left out, but nothing major. I might edit the post later to add them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:25:10 PM by phronesis » Logged
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »

Welcome !  Smiley
phronesis

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

So it looks like my window of opportunity to edit my original post has passed. The only things I left out were a quick mention of my previous encounters with Orthodoxy and one part of my wife's process.

I wanted to add that I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with EO. My best friend converted around the same time I became Anglican. Over the years he shared with me bits and pieces, but never actively proselytized me. I knew about the idea of theosis, the filioque, and apophatic theology. I owned a prayer rope bracelet. But I never dug in very deep. And all the while I had this (silly) idea that I could simply hold Orthodox beliefs and practice Anglican piety. So God's message wasn't completely out of left field (as it was for my wife), but was nonetheless entirely unexpected.

I also wanted to share how my wife, when telling others about this on a few occasions, has recounted that she prayed to God that if He wanted this to happen, well then He would have to change her heart. And as she puts it: He did.

Oh! Another story: shortly before my meeting with the priest where he told me to just start being Orthodox, I had begun (clumsily) praying to the Theotokos to help my wife. A couple days later, my wife says to me, out of the blue, "You know what that empty space on our wall next to the icon of St. George needs? An icon of Mary." Goosebumps, y'all. Miracles abound.
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

Welcome to the forum Phronesis!  What a great story about you and your wife's journey to Orthodoxy, thanks for sharing. Smiley

Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
CatherineBrigid

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »

What a beautiful story!

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »

What a wonderful and inspiring story! I'm touched by your dedication and the obvious Grace of God in leading your wife.

Just curious, but how much of your Anglican piety/practice have you been able to retain since beginning your catechism at a Western Rite church?
phronesis

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »

Just curious, but how much of your Anglican piety/practice have you been able to retain since beginning your catechism at a Western Rite church?

Hmm, good question. Well, the liturgy is certainly familiar (although we use the liturgy of St. Gregory, not St. Tikhon's modified BCP one - and I find I actually prefer the former). Beyond that, however, it remains to be seen. I imagine our piety will remain Anglican to the extent it remains Western. Then again, I've been using the Jordanville prayer book so it may end up being a mix.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:09:02 AM by phronesis » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »

How very true!  He will show you, the question then becomes are you ready.  Which reminds me of a saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it."

Yeah, and when (not if) He answers you, it will more than likely be startlingly direct and unambiguous - as well as something hard, uncomfortable, unglamorous and that you would really rather not do, thanks all the same.

Then you're more or less stuck between a rock and a hard place!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
phronesis

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »

A quick update:

My wife and I have begun catechism and were made catechumens on Sunday! In fact, our priest came to our home to preform the service to formally make us catechumens, as my wife just gave birth to our second child and we couldn't make it to church. Blessings abound!
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »

awesome!!! Congrats on your child and on becoming official catechumens!

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »

A quick update:

My wife and I have begun catechism and were made catechumens on Sunday! In fact, our priest came to our home to preform the service to formally make us catechumens, as my wife just gave birth to our second child and we couldn't make it to church. Blessings abound!

Congratulations to you both! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:41:49 PM by Nephi » Logged
Deborah

Never look back

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 05:37:19 AM »

A quick update:

Congratulations to you and your wife on becoming catechumens Phronesis.  Congratulations on your new arrival as well.  A double blessing indeed!  Many years! Smiley

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »

Glory be to God!  Many Years!

Love, elephant
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »

What a wonderful, inspiring, and interesting testimony!  Glory be to God!

When I first saw your post, I said to myself, I can't read all of this.  However, when I started to read it, I couldn't stop.

Welcome and may our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ continue to guide you and your wife in your journey to Holy Orthodoxy.

And congratulations too, on your significant academic and professional accomplishments last year and on the births of your children.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
phronesis

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »

Just wanted to pop in to give an update: My wife, daughter, and I will be chrismated on Christmas Eve and our son will be baptized and chrismated on Epiphany. Smiley Thank you, all, for your thoughts and prayers.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »

Just wanted to pop in to give an update: My wife, daughter, and I will be chrismated on Christmas Eve and our son will be baptized and chrismated on Epiphany. Smiley Thank you, all, for your thoughts and prayers.

Welcome home!

Many years!

St. John Chrysostom
Clemente

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »

Glory to You, Lord!

Thanks for sharing your testimony. God is faithful. I have been Orthodox for just over a year, but have no regrets. I have found that Orthodoxy is not only true but also beautiful--the sort of beauty that can save the world, as Dostoevsky wrote.

I wouldn't worry about the Western/Eastern rite debate if I were you. Upon chrismation, by God's grace, you will be Orthodox.

May God grant you and your family many years.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:05:51 PM by Clemente » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why the delay on the baby?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
phronesis

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

So our family, all of whom are out of town, can attend (much as I'd rather do it all at once).
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »

Welcome home!

Many years!

DITTO!  God grant y'all MANY YEARS!

I have found that Orthodoxy is not only true but also beautiful--the sort of beauty that can save the world, as Dostoevsky wrote.

YES!
Deborah

Never look back

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »

Many years to you and your family phronesis Smiley 

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »

Many years to you and your family.
What a beatiful story.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »

So our family, all of whom are out of town, can attend (much as I'd rather do it all at once).
Ah, I understand completely.

Many years to all of you!

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: