OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:41:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Priest kisses Putin's hand... What was he thinking?  (Read 1784 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »

http://youtu.be/epwznxJ8zaE

What in the world was the Priest thinking? It is good to at least see Putin retracting his hand recognizing that was a wrong gesture.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »

What in the world was the Priest thinking? It is good to at least see Putin retracting his hand recognizing that was a wrong gesture.

Perhaps the priest is a monarchist and would like to hear this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWY-9UihgYg
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

Perhaps the priest is a monarchist and would like to hear this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWY-9UihgYg

I think you are right.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

I called it a while ago.  Mark my words.  There will be a sizable contingent that will seek to glorify Putin once he dies.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »

A true monarchist would recognize Russia's rightful Empress and not accord royal honors to Putin.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

I love the look on Putin's face
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

I called it a while ago.  Mark my words.  There will be a sizable contingent that will seek to glorify Putin once he dies.

Like those that have made icons of Josef Stalin and tried to have him glorified as a saint of the Orthodox church.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »

Not saying I would support it, but what would be the difference between glorifying him and glorifying Constantine or Vladimir the Great? Sure those men did terrible things, but they also did a lot for the Church. While it seems ridiculous to most of us, there is definitely precedence for it.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »

And what has Putin done for the Church?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Not saying I would support it, but what would be the difference between glorifying him and glorifying Constantine or Vladimir the Great?
They were gentiles.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

Not saying he himself has done a lot, but some people could make the argument (whether right or wrong) that he was partially responsible for the resurgence of the Church & the reconstruction/construction of thousands of Churches in Russia.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

Not saying I would support it, but what would be the difference between glorifying him and glorifying Constantine or Vladimir the Great?
They were gentiles.

I don't really understand what you are saying, they both were baptized during their lives, and were Orthodox Christians.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

I don't really understand what you are saying, they both were baptized during their lives, and were Orthodox Christians.
There is a difference between Orthodox Russia and Pagan Rome or Pagan Kiev, even counting in Communism.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

There is a difference between Orthodox Russia and Pagan Rome or Pagan Kiev, even counting in Communism.

That is very true... Like I said, I'm not in support of that cause, but I'm saying it isn't entirely impossible, especially when it is the Russian Church alone which would be responsible for canonizing him.
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »

A true monarchist would recognize Russia's rightful Empress and not accord royal honors to Putin.

You are right of course. But, will that stop Putin or his supporters?

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »

Maybe the priest was taking a fool-for-Christ track and was actually making an anti-Putin statement. Either way, I enjoy the look of horror on Putin's face.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »

This has increased my respect for Putin by 10%.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

You are right of course. But, will that stop Putin or his supporters?

Does the pope poop in the woods?

Of course it will not stop us!

Ave Putin!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

Maybe the priest was taking a fool-for-Christ track and was actually making an anti-Putin statement. Either way, I enjoy the look of horror on Putin's face.

Yes, that would be the most probable option.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »

Does he look pissed off or embarrassed? I can't tell.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

the source of all knowledge & wisdom:  wikipedia:

The vast construction and restoration of churches, started in 1990s, continued under Putin, and the state allowed the teaching of religion in schools (parents are provided with a choice for their children to learn the basics of one of the traditional religions or secular ethics). His approach to religious policy has been characterised as one of support for religious freedoms, but also the attempt to unify different religions under the authority of the state.[155]
Putin meeting with religious leaders of Russia in 2001

Putin regularly attends the most important services of the Russian Orthodox Church on the main Orthodox Christian holidays. He established a good relationship with Patriarchs of the Russian Church, the late Alexy II of Moscow and the current Kirill of Moscow. As President, he took an active personal part in promoting the Act of Canonical Communion with the Moscow Patriarchate, signed 17 May 2007 that restored relations between the Moscow-based Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia after the 80-year schism.[156]

Putin and United Russia enjoy high electoral support in the national republics of Russia, in particular in the Muslim-majority republics of Povolzhye and the North Caucasus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin#Religious_and_national_policy

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »

He looks freaked out to me, like he's almost visibly shaking from being wierded out.  
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

He looks freaked out to me, like he's almost visibly shaking from being wierded out.  

Right; that hand-kissing was entirely too early in Putin's timeline.

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »

What  Shocked how can you even say that. As of right now he's got them pesky cutie Pussy Riot punk group on trail for there acts done in the Church. Isn't that enough for you right there Michal Tongue
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »

What  Shocked how can you even say that. As of right now he's got them pesky cutie Pussy Riot punk group on trail for there acts done in the Church. Isn't that enough for you right there Michal Tongue

Hopefully they are on a trail of tears ending in Siberia.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »

Does that mean WASPs should send all EO converts to Guantanamo? Are you packed already?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »

Does that mean WASPs should send all EO converts to Guantanamo? Are you packed already?

Even leaving aside the important distinction between true and false religions, converting to a different faith is not on a level with entering a holy site and committing gross sacrilege and blasphemy.

Do you honestly think my not being Catholic is the same sort of thing as if I walked into a Catholic church, marched up to the altar, and began insulting the Catholic religion and calumniating the holy figures of Catholicism?

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Do you honestly think my not being Catholic is the same sort of thing as if I walked into a Catholic church, marched up to the altar, and began insulting the Catholic religion and calumniating the holy figures of Catholicism?

Those women did not march in the altar, did not insult the Orthodox Church and did not calumniate the holy figures of Orthodoxy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

I sincerely hope so.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

Those women did not march in the altar, did not insult the Orthodox Church and did not calumniate the holy figures of Orthodoxy.

Is Archbishop Cranmer's statement in the third paragraph of this post (http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/2012/08/free-pussy-riot.html), which I would reproduce except that these are the public forums and I don't know the rules about profanity here, inaccurate, then? Admittedly, they were at least (from what I can tell) on the people's side of the iconostasis, but if they sang what it appears Cranmer said they sang (his wording is not the clearest), they insulted Patriarch Kyrill and the Mother of God, and, of course, committed an act of extreme disrespect by staging their performance (its content aside) in the Cathedral at all, much less immediately in front of the iconostasis, and (though correct me if I've misapprehended), if I'm not mistaken, the Royal Gates themselves.

In any case, one can hardly claim a "right" to enter a church and perform any kind of music against the wishes of church authorities, can one?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:22:25 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

They did not insult Theotokos. And Patriarch Cyrill is not "a holy figure of Orthodoxy".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »

Non sequitor.  EO converts are not Rioting Cats

Besides, there really aren't that many WASPs left.  I am a WIGO, for instance.

And no, I am not packed yet.  I am going on vacation tomorrow morning, so thanks for reminding me.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »

Bravo!  It is the Church that has done too much for Putin.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »

They did not insult Theotokos. And Patriarch Cyrill is not "a holy figure of Orthodoxy".
Again we need to be reminded that their performance was seconds in length.  Was there even a service going on at the time?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »

Was there even a service going on at the time?

No, it wasn't. The Church was opened for tourists.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:50:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

I don't see what the problem is. So he showed a gesture of respect to a political leader who is an Orthodox Christian. What's the big deal? The Russian Orthodox Church has always been overly dependent and too close upon the national leaders. Plus, how is this any different than St. Constantine or St. Vladimir who each did some pretty crappy things yet are still recognized as Saints?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

I don't see what the problem is. So he showed a gesture of respect to a political leader who is an Orthodox Christian. What's the big deal? The Russian Orthodox Church has always been overly dependent and too close upon the national leaders. Plus, how is this any different than St. Constantine or St. Vladimir who each did some pretty crappy things yet are still recognized as Saints?

I think Putin is a crypto-Protestant.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

Hey!  I see what you're doing!   police
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

I have no idea what you're talking about. Wink

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »

So was Peter the Great but the Russian Orthodox Church still had close ties to him.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »

So was Peter the Great but the Russian Orthodox Church still had close ties to him.

Which did the Church a great deal of harm.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

I have no idea what you're talking about. Wink

Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes!  I am way too perceptive for that!   Cool
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »

His expression looks like he is thinking, "What are you doing?" followed by a successful attempt not to hit him.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »

Oh, then I misunderstood Cranmer's words. And my point with the Catholic example was not to make a 1:1 correlation, but to show the difference between disrespecting and/or insulting a religion in its own holy places and merely not belonging to that religion.

If Cranmer's explanation of what they said, or my interpretation of the same, was inaccurate, I will temporarily withhold criticism (although I am prejudiced against "punk" anything in front of the altar) until such time as I can ascertain what it was their "prayer" said (I don't speak Russian, so any help here would be much appreciated.)

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »

Brother Nathanael may kiss Putin's hand.  He loves that guy. 

I like this monk.  Very entertaining to watch and interesting ideas he has.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: