OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the nerve of this jerk Dr. James White  (Read 1308 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
Elder

« on: August 07, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »

I don't know if anyone here has ever come across this guy Dr. James White and his youtube channel and books and church http://www.aomin.org/
This Jerk goes out and does debates and videos tries using the church fathers to support his calvinist views then turns around in the same breath and calls Orthodox and Catholics heresy. How can someone use the Orthodox fathers to try and support there views but then say they where a heresy. Then he turns off the comments so as to hide but yet pushing this junk. I dont know why I'm mad about it but it just made me so mad to hear him do this End Rant  Tongue

here his dumb youtub channel http://www.youtube.com/user/DrOakley1689?feature=watch
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:18:10 AM by jewish voice » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »

It's been a while since I read or listened to him.

This Jerk goes out and does debates and videos tries using the church fathers to support his calvinist views then turns around in the same breath and calls Orthodox and Catholics heresy.

I think I would be more suspicious if he claimed that "We're all the same."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »

It's been a while since I read or listened to him.

This Jerk goes out and does debates and videos tries using the church fathers to support his calvinist views then turns around in the same breath and calls Orthodox and Catholics heresy.

I think I would be more suspicious if he claimed that "We're all the same."

+ 1

Even if he's Calvinist which is pretty much the most disgusting form of Christianity it's nice to see that at least some Protestants are actually reading the Fathers.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »

really I'm not even Orthodox nor Christian and you don't find this upsetting that he calls Orthodox a heresy and then tries to steal your church fathers to wrap them around his view.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

really I'm not even Orthodox nor Christian and you don't find this upsetting that he calls Orthodox a heresy and then tries to steal your church fathers to wrap them around his view.

St. Vincent of Lerins, St. Athanasius, etc. said that most/all heretics use the Bible to justify their beliefs. That remains true to this day. Perhaps that has desensitized people (for better or worse), such that someone using the Church Fathers to justify their beliefs doesn't seem so outrageous?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

If you consider X to be a heretic, then I would think that X considering you to be a heretic would be a good sign (or at least, X not considering you to be a heretic would be a bad sign). Not you specifically, I mean, just the impersonal "you".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Don't get too worked up about him. Though I know his work, I also know he's not very influential except with a few folks who already agree with him.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »

If I would get upset when someone is misusing my religion my who life would be continous outrage.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:46:25 PM by Alpo » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

A lot of Protestant and Baptist seminaries have included dense studies of the Fathers, and many preachers are at least remotely familiar with some of the big names.  The theological backflip from these kinds of folks is that they are Cathars/Puritans, they denounce the Church not because they also denounce the Fathers, but because if they accept the Fathers they accuse the Church of going against the Fathers.  It is absurd, true, but they are very suspicious of any extra-Scriptural writings as being God-inspired.  In other words, they think the Fathers are nice writers with interesting things to preach, but they do not hold the Fathers to be authoritative, even if they study them deeply.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:53:03 AM »

If you consider X to be a heretic, then I would think that X considering you to be a heretic would be a good sign (or at least, X not considering you to be a heretic would be a bad sign). Not you specifically, I mean, just the impersonal "you".

This

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

A lot of Protestant and Baptist seminaries have included dense studies of the Fathers, and many preachers are at least remotely familiar with some of the big names.  The theological backflip from these kinds of folks is that they are Cathars/Puritans, they denounce the Church not because they also denounce the Fathers, but because if they accept the Fathers they accuse the Church of going against the Fathers.  It is absurd, true, but they are very suspicious of any extra-Scriptural writings as being God-inspired.  In other words, they think the Fathers are nice writers with interesting things to preach, but they do not hold the Fathers to be authoritative, even if they study them deeply.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

and this.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »

Then he turns off the comments so as to hide but yet pushing this junk.

I am quite familiar with youtube broadcasts and sometimes its best that the broadcasters don't allow comments, as all too often that merely stirs up a hornets' nest of back biting. I should know, I was involved in such very recently.

I personally don't care what JW thinks of me. I have to admit that he is a good debater, and does sometimes have an interesting point.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »

Don't get too worked up about him. Though I know his work, I also know he's not very influential except with a few folks who already agree with him.

Isn't that a pretty common statistic? How many people who think Christianity is stupid are going to hungrily consume writings by C.S. Lewis?

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »

If I would get upset when someone is misusing my religion my who life would be continous outrage.

+1

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: