OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:16:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life decisions  (Read 129 times) Average Rating: 0
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »

Last year, I took a year off from school to work. I also moved to be closer to church with only a year left in school at my old university. If I didn't do that I would probably not be Orthodox. At the university I'm enrolled at now I have 73 credits that transferred and I need 124 for a degree in Literature. The thing is: I can only take classes at night-- which will put me finishing in like 2015 or 2016 at that rate. I have a job. It's my security. I don't want to rock that boat especially in these economic times. I can't take off in the middle of the day to attend a class and I can't afford to be part time. It's also a dead end job where I'm not going to be promoted to anything substainally higher.

My spiritual father has told me it's important to finish and I also know it's probably a good idea to go ahead and finish school. I'm not sure if that's what I'm wanting in my heart though. I will almost certainly go to Moscow the end of this year or the beginning of next if I don't go back to school. My godmother has invited me to come stay at the monastery she lives at whenever I would like to. I've thought about that and maybe seminary there. The diocese I'm in also has a online seminary where only 70 credit hours are required to attend. My heart is being tugged in two ways. And as much as I feel like school is important I'm almost hearing a whisper of "don't do this". I can't tell if it's my own desire or God's yet. The last time I trusted in God with pushing school behind me I became Orthodox and my life became so much better for it.

So I'm asking for prayers, encouragement, and advice. God will close or open any of the doors I'm supposed to stay away from or go into-- I just have to bang my head around to find the right one. Pray that I have patience and don't screw up too bad, please.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: