OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A universe from nothing  (Read 226 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:14 AM »

The last line of this interview with physicist/new atheist Lawrence Krauss concerning his book A Universe From Nothing is one of the cleverest I've heard from Colbert
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/415707/june-21-2012/lawrence-krauss

Krauss: "Something can come from nothing..."
Colbert: "Why does it have to be an attack on my God?"
Krauss: "There's just no evidence for God, All I've said is that you don't need Him."
Colbert: "If there is no God, no 'thing' called God, if He is nothing, can't something come from Him?"

Cf. also the critical discussion of Krauss's book by professor David Albert, author of Quantum Mechanics and Experience, in the NY Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html

Silly Stars
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:26:55 AM »

--Subscribed--

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:31:56 AM »

Several months ago I watched a sit-down talk Krauss and Dawkins did down at wherever Krauss teaches at, and Krauss was pushing this idea, and Dawkins was trying to be polite but it seems to me didn't much want to go along with it.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »

The last line of this interview with physicist/new atheist Lawrence Krauss concerning his book A Universe From Nothing is one of the cleverest I've heard from Colbert
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/415707/june-21-2012/lawrence-krauss

Krauss: "Something can come from nothing..."
Colbert: "Why does it have to be an attack on my God?"
Krauss: "There's just no evidence for God, All I've said is that you don't need Him."
Colbert: "If there is no God, no 'thing' called God, if He is nothing, can't something come from Him?"

Cf. also the critical discussion of Krauss's book by professor David Albert, author of Quantum Mechanics and Experience, in the NY Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html
Apophaticism for the win.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: