OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Paul as a tent-maker  (Read 851 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »

Did Paul remain a tent-maker after his calling to Christian ministry? 

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »

Yes which when St Paul came to America he preached to the Native Americans how to make tents.

Therefore Mormonism is true!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:38:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »

Yes which when St Paul came to America he preached to the Native Americans how to make tents.

Therefore Mormonism is true!
This literally made me LOL!

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »

Acts 18:1-4 has the answer:

After these things Paul departed from Athens and went to Corinth. 2 And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla (because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome); and he came to them. 3 So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »

Acts 18:1-4 has the answer:

After these things Paul departed from Athens and went to Corinth. 2 And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla (because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome); and he came to them. 3 So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Yeah, see this is the scripture that I was talking about. A lady I know said that ministers who are called by God give up everything to follow him, including their previous jobs.  I doubt that this is ALWAYS the case. I'm wondering if there was any evidence besides this verse, one way or another, particularly with regard to Paul.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:24 AM »

that's a very good question I always wonder how Apollonious would feel today as only being known as a mere tent maker. with his long studies and command of the Greek in his writings. 
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:50:43 AM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »

that's a very good question I always wonder how Apollonious would feel today as only being known as a mere tent maker. with his long studies and command of the Greek in his writings. 
What are you talking about?
look him up apollonious of tarsus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

Yeah, see this is the scripture that I was talking about. A lady I know said that ministers who are called by God give up everything to follow him, including their previous jobs.  I doubt that this is ALWAYS the case. I'm wondering if there was any evidence besides this verse, one way or another, particularly with regard to Paul.

I believe these passages indicate that Paul continued working...

"So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you had become dear to us. For you remember, brethren, our labor and toil; for laboring night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, we preached to you the gospel of God." - 1 Thes. 2:8-9

"For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us." - 2 Thes. 3:7-9

"To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. And we labor, working with our own hands." - 1 Cor. 4:11-12

"My defense to those who examine me is this: Do we have no right to eat and drink?  Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock? Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also?  For it is written in the law of Moses, 'You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.' Is it oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ... But I have used none of these things" - 1 Cor. 9:3-12, 15

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Tags: St. Paul 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: