OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 06:00:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netherlands grapples with euthanasia of babies  (Read 1447 times) Average Rating: 0
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 30, 2004, 07:48:52 PM »

Read it and weep.  You knew this was going to happen...

Hospital carries out procedure on few terminally ill infants
The Associated Press
Updated: 4:53 p.m. ET Nov. 30, 2004

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6621588/

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:38:59 AM »

This is truly one of the most horrifying things I have ever heard.  :'(

This world truly is on the pathway to hell.....

Truly saddened,
Aaron
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 03:53:35 AM »

Saw this one coming many years back. Once a culture has no resepect for life all the rules are out the window.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »

I'd like to read how their new guidelines define a newborn, and when does a newborn become an infant, and so on.  Looks like no child will ever be safe in the brave new world until they're big enough to fight back the attempts to murder them.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 08:52:53 PM »

Looks like no child will ever be safe in the brave new world until they're big enough to fight back the attempts to murder them.

It sure does.  :'(   Angry
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:59:51 AM »

Strelets, thought the same thing when I read this article...  When will the doctors & parents' authority end, when will the child have the right to say, I do want to live?
Imagine, if the sufruge age there is 18, a day before a kid's 18th birthday the parents say, your terminally ill, we're gonna have you euthanised...

Back to the infants though, how does that differ from pulling the plug?  Do they just stop life support, or actually inject drugs?  

Sorry if mssg doesn't make sense, coming off a major caffine high (5 cups of coffee since 7 this morning) so brain is slightly fried.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 02:21:50 PM »

Back to the infants though, how does that differ from pulling the plug?  Do they just stop life support, or actually inject drugs?  

I heard on NPR the other day that they give lethal doses of benzodiazepines (sedatives), which stop the respiratory drive.  So yes, it's murder.

As a physician, I find this disgusting, just like a lot of other things in modern medicine.  Wasn't it Dostoevsky who wrote that "with no God, anything is permissable?"

I don't think it's an accident that this practice started in one of the most secular societies in the world.  Man pushed God out of the picture, so that he himself can play God.  And clever reasonings and delusions convince him that it's "all good".....

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:31:05 PM »

Ever compare the mental states between a child with a terminal illness, and that of an adult with the same condition?  The child, despite what he or she is facing, is filled with an enduring optimism in their future and a positive attitude towards life.  Adults may well adopt the same mindset, but what's happening in these "mercy" killings is that folks on the outside are projecting their own pessimism and horror at life into the minds of the voiceless.  Psychiatrist Victor Frankl wrote at length about this, describing his experiences in the concentration camps in which others on the outside often imagined how horrible life was in those conditions, but he disputed this in saying many were able to find happiness and meaning in life despite (and maybe because of) the conditions they lived in, whereas the most miserable people he treated were frequently those in comfortable settings and in perfect health.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 06:32:40 PM by Strelets » Logged

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 04:14:32 PM »

My grandfather lived in a German Nazi camp for over 2 years (the only thing different from the death camps is that there were no "smoke stacks") and he was one of the most optomistic people I knew.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:14:50 PM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: