OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:24:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Wish To Be Guided But How Can It Be Found?  (Read 396 times) Average Rating: 0
Studying_Orthodoxy

« on: August 06, 2012, 03:01:27 AM »

In my life I have realised that the Lord Almighty has blessed me in many ways. Whenever I will pray for something material such as success in examinations or for a problem to be resolved it will be granted despite all that may be in the way.

However I know that I am not a good person and commit many sins. I want to be taken away from this state yet I can never seem to be free of doing what is not proper. Sometimes I will lose my temper for no reason.

This thread is not started to make me have people say "Do not worry". My question is, what can be done to make me less of an evil person?
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »

Are you attending an Orthodox parish?  If you are, meet with the priest.  Talk to him about this and he will be able to guide you. 
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »

I would like to add it won't be a brutal change, you will not be suddenly rigtheous. Do your best to avoid sin and practice virtues, and let the Lord do the rest. Read the lives of the Saints, the Scripture, and go to the church. You have to keep this "fire". Don't be too kind on yourself, and have a prayer rule. And remember not to imagine nothing, because you can be easily deceived by what you thought about your faith (I'd like to be more precise on this sentence but due to my lack in English I can't) . It won't be a easy and confortable path. Remember that trials and tribulations are here to test and, if "succeed", your faith will be much stronger.

In Christ,
WM
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »

The one statement that I found so odd is when you call yourself evil. This is not a healthy mind set to start out with or to put upon oneself. To me anyone who would tell you this is not someone to listen to. So I would hope that you can find away to see yourself in a different way
Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:59 AM »

Are you attending an Orthodox parish?  If you are, meet with the priest.  Talk to him about this and he will be able to guide you. 

More it seems that I do not know if this is the path to follow. I have many doubts if it is true or not. Yes, I think it is only about faith in the end. If only I could have a dream or sign to show me.
I would like to add it won't be a brutal change, you will not be suddenly rigtheous. Do your best to avoid sin and practice virtues, and let the Lord do the rest. Read the lives of the Saints, the Scripture, and go to the church. You have to keep this "fire". Don't be too kind on yourself, and have a prayer rule. And remember not to imagine nothing, because you can be easily deceived by what you thought about your faith (I'd like to be more precise on this sentence but due to my lack in English I can't) . It won't be a easy and confortable path. Remember that trials and tribulations are here to test and, if "succeed", your faith will be much stronger.

In Christ,
WM

Thank you for your advice.
The one statement that I found so odd is when you call yourself evil. This is not a healthy mind set to start out with or to put upon oneself. To me anyone who would tell you this is not someone to listen to. So I would hope that you can find away to see yourself in a different way

It is because it is not good to be pleased with one's self. It is better to always be self-critical.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

if u are not from a Christian background, try reading the book or romans (in the Bible) especially chapters 1-8.
also read matthew, mark, luke and john.
may God guide u and give u peace.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

However I know that I am not a good person and commit many sins. I want to be taken away from this state yet I can never seem to be free of doing what is not proper. Sometimes I will lose my temper for no reason.
This thread is not started to make me have people say "Do not worry". My question is, what can be done to make me less of an evil person?

Don't worry.

And don't do other thing - don't say you are not good person. Do you know what does "Ho Diabolos" mean? It means "The Accuser". Whenever you accuse yourself of something, remember this. Jesus does not say "you are evil", he says "listen to Me". Look at this icon:

Whenever I feel guilty or sad, I see Him, calm and unmoved, saying "listen to My teachings".

Whenever I feel happy, I see Him, calm and unmoved, saying "listen to My teachings".

Christianity is about peace, not high or low self-esteem. God is a "Friend of man", not an "accuser".

You say you often loose your temper. We all do it, we can't even tell when it happened. But why it happened? Because something as little as a matchfire exploded into a blaze, for someone poured a galon of gasoline on it. And this is satan. He tells you, "how does he/she dare to be like this to you?", or simply "do it, you have to, you are only human, God will understand". It's the same inner voice that says after, "look what you did, you pathetic shadow of a man. You don't deserve anything good". Sometimes this inner voice is even more cynical, saying "degrade yourself before God, maybe he'll forgive you a bit". From challenger to judge, sounds familiar, isn't it. Christianity is not about this. Jesus did not say "look at you", but "look at Me". Remember this. Stop asking yourself a question "where am I in all of this", start instead another one - "where are You in all of this".

Orthodox Sacrament of Confession is not about telling "I'm awful, because this, this and this happened". It's about seeking an answer "what happened, and why did it happen?"

Remember one more thing - I am not a priest, I am an internet user, so please go to a local priest and talk with him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:57:11 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »

If you are moving towards orthodoxy. Than it is good to think of yourself as evil and if someone accuses you of being evil. Pray for more people to come forward to do the same. If more people don't come forward than you know the devil has conquered your soul. Everybody loves people who say nice things to them. Try to love people that scorn you and want you to suffer. It's not so easy.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

If you are moving towards orthodoxy. Than it is good to think of yourself as evil and if someone accuses you of being evil. Pray for more people to come forward to do the same. If more people don't come forward than you know the devil has conquered your soul. Everybody loves people who say nice things to them. Try to love people that scorn you and want you to suffer. It's not so easy.
that just has to be oh forget it NVM!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:55:18 PM by jewish voice » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: