OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:42:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to contact priest for many months  (Read 1056 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Warned
Archon

« on: August 05, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »

Hello, I've been unable to contact a priest for many months. What should I do? thanks.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »

Hello, I've been unable to contact a priest for many months. What should I do? thanks.
Where are you at?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »

Where are you at?

In the United States, Texas...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:40:04 AM by WPM » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »

Where are you at?

In the United States, Texas...
Where have you been trying to contact a priest?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »

What is your situation exactly? How often had you contacted them before? How close are you? Why were you contacting them? Can you just contact someone else? Will any priest do or only a local one? Am I asking too many questions?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Try another priest?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »

It seems like were having transportation issues.
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »

What is your situation exactly?

You can't just walk to the nearest Orthodox Church you have to drive to get there...
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »

Hi WPM,

In what way are you having difficulties contacting a priest?  Without knowing specific details, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

If you are trying to contact a priest through emails, phone calls, a church website, and you are not hearing back, I would suggest trying another priest. 

If lack of suitable private or public transport, or cost of transport is an issue, you could ask a priest who else lives in your area you could share a ride with.  There are other Orthodox Christians based in Texas who post on this forum - perhaps if you start a general "shout out" thread to other members who live in Texas, one of them might be able to put you in touch with their priest, or someone near you who you could share transport with?

All the best
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Deborah link=topic=46224.msg788093#msg788093

In what way are you having difficulties contacting a priest?  Without knowing specific details, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

If you are trying to contact a priest through emails, phone calls, a church website, and you are not hearing back, I would suggest trying another priest. 

Just calling and speaking with a good priest over the phone is superficial at best...Its better to speak with them in person or their office.
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »

or someone near you who you could share transport with?

I'm just not motivated enough to drive to Ft. Worth and back (the city of Granbury is exactly 35 minutes on highway 377) all the time like that...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:45:28 PM by WPM » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »

You should move to a state with more Orthodox!  angel
Deborah

Never look back

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »

I'm just not motivated enough to drive to Ft. Worth and back (the city of Granbury is exactly 35 minutes on highway 377) all the time like that...

How far away are the nearest Orthodox churches from you?

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »

Saint Barbara Orthodox Church seems to be the closest parish for you. Many of the parishioners drive at least 30 minutes away. There are catechumen and inquirer classes every Wednesday after the 6pm Vespers service. After you talk to the Reverend Archpriest Basil Zebrun, he may be able to find a local-to-you parishioner who can give you a ride, as he did for us when my car was getting fixed. I love in the opposite direction, and have a wife and child to get ready before services, otherwise I would come get you myself.

That being said, Father Basil is in the hospital right now and needs prayers, and may not be able to get back to as quickly as he normally will.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
ShootingStar

Faith: Former Mormon, now investigating the Orthodox faith.
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »

I don't know your situation of course, but for me, I just called and made an appointment when I had an unexpected day off and went to my priest's office and chatted for well over an hour. Your closest church location surely has a website and email address. On Sundays, just look at the trip to church as a very pleasant outing and make a morning of it.

Myself, I have to call my local disabled access bus 3 days ahead to get a ride to church. Then afterwards, when I'm enjoying getting to know people a bit over fresh fruit and tabouleh, I invariably have to leave because my bus just showed up. Small sacrifices. I am not even a baptized member (yet).

You just have to decide what your priorities are.  angel

~Kim in NV
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Try another priest?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That's Bishop Photios of Marathon, a member of our Synod! Where did you get this picture?

He's very busy, so I can see why he'd need to doze when given the chance. Please don't think he normally sleeps on the job!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »

That's Bishop Photios of Marathon, a member of our Synod! Where did you get this picture?

He's very busy, so I can see why he'd need to doze when given the chance. Please don't think he normally sleeps on the job!

Indeed, His Grace Bishop PHOTIOS spends many hours waiting for planes as he travels across the globe.
He needs prayers, not ridicule.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »

I saw no ridicule intended, just a joke.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:17:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »

Indeed, His Grace Bishop PHOTIOS spends many hours waiting for planes as he travels across the globe.

Please excuse me, I meant no disrespect to His Grace, if anything quite the opposite.

Sometimes when you can't get a hold of priest, it is because they are busy beyond belief.  I posted the picture (which I found randomly) not to imply HG was lazy, but rather simply occupied Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »

Please excuse me, I meant no disrespect to His Grace, if anything quite the opposite.

Sometimes when you can't get a hold of priest, it is because they are busy beyond belief.  I posted the picture (which I found randomly) not to imply HG was lazy, but rather simply occupied Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

That's all right, I didn't think you were being intentionally disrespectful. It is an amusing picture in this context, but I was also worried that if his picture is easy to find on the internet, maybe others who don't wish him so well would get hold of it, so that's why I asked where you found it.
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »

How far away are the nearest Orthodox churches from you?

Its a 40 minute drive [you have to drive not walk] to get to St. Peter's Western Rite or St. Barbara's Eastern Orthodox in the Cityview area of Benbrook.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:50:19 AM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »

Also, I'm not trying to contact a canonical priest anymore since I retired to the rural countryside.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

Also, I'm not trying to contact a canonical priest anymore since I retired to the rural countryside.

So, I do not understand, are you unable, unwilling, or not trying to contact a priest? And who's fault do you think this is? How were you able to in the past and who was it?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

I just don't understand this at all. You aren't trying to contact a canonical priest? Leaving aside the discussion about how the term canonical is nearly meaningless, what does this mean? That you are willing to contact an uncanonical priest (whatever that is)? What does moving to the countryside have to do with it? Who exactly do you want to contact? Or do you want to contact anyone? Is this real life?
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:22 PM »

How were you able to in the past and who was it?

I was able to do that by showing up for Sunday Liturgy...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:03:27 PM by WPM » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »

I hope I was not rude in my last post--I do seem to have been, and I apologize for that. I am not sure I yet understand what you are after though. Are you trying to contact this priest to come out and giving you communion and confess you or something? What of another priest?
Deborah

Never look back

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »

WPM,

I'm not sure what you're asking for in this thread. 

Are you just wanting to share your current situation (lack of contact with priest, and transport difficulties to an Orthodox Church)?

Are you wanting someone to help put you in face-to-face, real-time contact with a priest?

If you are wanting assistance to see a priest face-to-face, in what way can we on this forum best help you to do that?

God bless,
Deborah

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »

How were you able to in the past and who was it?

I was able to do that by showing up for Sunday Liturgy...

Maybe you should do that again?

WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »

Where are you at?

Granbury, Texas 35 minutes on Highway 377 to Benbrook cityview area of Ft. Worth.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: