OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:58:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Was Moses Not The Son Of God?  (Read 1005 times) Average Rating: 0
Studying_Orthodoxy

« on: August 04, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

To me it seems that in the Old Testament there are a succession of Prophets. What is to say that Christ instead of being both the son of God and God Himself was not only a Prophet? Moses could also perform miracles and was a great leader. Yet he was not considered the son of God? In this case can we say that Christ was only a Prophet of God?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:38:50 AM by Studying_Orthodoxy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:41:58 AM »

God wanted to save man, and to do that he became a person, a fully human person. "That which is not assumed is not saved."  Prophecies, miracles, etc. are all rather secondary. God becoming man was what made salvation possible, and was the reason for Jesus Christ's work on earth.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »

The two can hardly be compared.  There's more to being the Messiah than performing a few miracles.

Moses was not the product of a virgin birth, nor did he fulfill many of the other messianic prophecies.

He was not born in Bethlehem, he was not crucified, and he was not raised from the dead.

Moses saved the people of Israel from bondage.

Christ saves the entire world from eternal death.

Moses was a prophet.  Christ is the Son of God.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »

To me it seems that in the Old Testament there are a succession of Prophets. What is to say that Christ instead of being both the son of God and God Himself was not only a Prophet? Moses could also perform miracles and was a great leader. Yet he was not considered the son of God? In this case can we say that Christ was only a Prophet of God?

Moses was son of God. King David was. In some sense, even Cyrus the Great, the pagan king of Persia, he was, too. Because there is a sonship of rulers who were anointed by God and set aside for his purposes.

Psalm 2 was read at the ordination/coronation of a Davidic king. This is what it says:

"I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD:
He said to Me, ‘You are My son,
Today I have begotten You.

'Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance,
And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.

‘You shall break them with a rod of iron,
You shall shatter them like earthenware.’

Now therefore, O kings, show discernment;
Take warning, O judges of the earth.

Worship the LORD with reverence
And rejoice with trembling.'

Do homage to the son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled.
How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!"

Now, after the conquest of Israel, there were no more Davidic kings, no more sons of God, no more anointed ones. The Hebrews prophecied that one day there would finally be another anointed one, another son of God: Greater than all the others, who would save Israel from all of his iniquities and liberate the Hebrews. This one was called "Messiah". The Messiah was considered different from the other sons of God because he would bring Israel's glory to all the earth.

Jesus claimed to be that Messiah, that son of God, different from all the rest. And we believe that he saved Israel from all his iniquities, and spread the glory of Israel to all the earth. Legend has it that the dying words of the last pagan emperor of Rome were: "Thou has conquered, O Galilean!" referring to Jesus.

Now, because Jesus is the final and ultimate son of God, there is something else about him. God was his Father, we believe, from before all eternity. So he inherited the human sonship of David, but he also united that Davidic sonship with his eternal sonship when he made intercession for Israel upon the mercy seat in the heavenly temple, upon the Cross, and in the pit of Sheol. This made it so that all the Royal Priests of Israel could become eternal sons of God like him, uniting heaven and earth. This fulfills what was said by God through his prophet Hosea:

"In that day I will also make a covenant for them
With the beasts of the field,
The birds of the sky
And the creeping things of the ground.
And I will abolish the bow, the sword and war from the land,
And will make them lie down in safety.

I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In lovingkindgness and mercy,

I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then you will know the LORD.

'It will come about in that day that I will respond,' declares the LORD.
“I will answer the heavens, and they shall answer the earth..."

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:12:16 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

We are all sons of God in the figurative sense, as He is the Father and we are symbolically His children and so being called sons of God reflects this symbolism.  By nature however, we are not children of God, we are humans.  Jesus Christ on the other hand, is God the Word.  He is Divine by nature, so He is God, and He is God the Son because He is He is the Son of the Father.  We are not literally sons of the Father, but He is, hence why Jesus Christ is the capital "S" Son of God and folks like Moses or ourselves or lower-case "s" sons of God.  Confusing? Yes, that is why its called a Mystery Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: