OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:54:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did God make sex  (Read 485 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 20, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »

I've read that Catholics (at leastsome) believe sex is just for reproduction. What is our take on that?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »

It's also unitive.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »

I have made my opinion quite clear on this in the Dating/Marriage discussion.  As for why, sometimes I find it is better to thank God than to continually asking Him why things are the way they are...  Grin
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:43 PM »

I've read that Catholics (at leastsome) believe sex is just for reproduction.

I've seen some inconsistency within Orthodox as well when it comes to this topic. I have heard the same argument from several preachers but I've always found that extreme and unrealistic  Roll Eyes. I believe God made sex pleasurable and wonderful so we could enjoy it. Definitely God's design for sex and its place in human life ought to be beyond reproduction.

St Paul said:
1 Corinthians 7:2-5 "But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."[/b]

I think this says it all  Smiley! Definitely will like to hear what others say

In christ,
Bytania

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:50 PM »

Hi bytania !

But then Saint Paul says :

1 Corinthians 7:6 "But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment".

What is the teaching of the Church ?
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »

I think Bill Nye once described sex as basically the proverbial carrot-on-a-stick to get organisms to reproduce. I doubt he would say God has anything to do with it, but it sounds legit.

But to take a pragmatic approach: The unitive aspect, IMO, is mostly in the sense that a it provides the organism with a stable source of sexual pleasure. That is, you don't need to run around chasing after mates every year like animals, because you are united in a stable relationship. Stable relationships tend to imply co-dependence and mutual obedience, which are things that help us in our struggle for holiness. In that roundabout sense it is important to marriage, for those who are called to that theotic (?) path.

I don't think it needs to be theologized beyond that. Relationships are all about choices and sex is not a bare necessity, as any impotent marriage can show you. Some seem to turn sex into some mystical communion with eternity or something, and that's just bizarre to me. That's not to take a low view of sex; it is what it is. It is a bodily function to be used in moderation, in a specific context, for specific purposes, just like eating and sleeping.

I would say the primary point of sex is reproduction, and unity is a natural part of it. I don't think the two can be rightly separated.

Those are my random musings on the subject.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:03:07 PM by age234 » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

The answer is simple, because He loves us and wants us to be happy. I really pitty all of the frigid and impotents out there that do not understand this.  It is even worse when they try to rob the rest of us of our joy.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »

Hi bytania !

But then Saint Paul says :

1 Corinthians 7:6 "But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment".

What is the teaching of the Church ?

Even if he said it as a concession, what difference does it make? Its his advice to us (like many of the letters he wrote). As far the teaching of the Church goes, sexuality must be reigned in, and restricted to the confines of marriage. That's what's agreed upon. Whether for reproduction or pleasure, the Bible does not try to portray sex as a sin as long as it is confined within marriage. I'm sure others can say more.

The answer is simple, because He loves us and wants us to be happy. I really pitty all of the frigid and impotents out there that do not understand this.  It is even worse when they try to rob the rest of us of our joy.

Grin Grin Grin!! Can we enjoy ONE thing without trying to prove it as a sinful act. Geez lol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:03:48 PM by bytania » Logged

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

Grin Grin Grin!! Can we enjoy ONE thing without trying to make it a sin

NO!  The smile is satan's piano!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

I really do love you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: