OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:35:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern day Crusades..?  (Read 8779 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »

Maybe a Billy Graham type crusade would work.

Maybe Charles Martel could stop posting his fantasies here and leave New York to Syria to get at least some insight.
Wow, is that really necessary, I posted this thread out of concern for Christians in the East facing an uncertain future under radical Islamist regimes like the Muslim Brotherhood and I get nothing but accused of engaging in "fantasies".

Don't worry "Mike", I had quite enough insight about the religion of peace right here in NY on 911, I won't be leaving here anytime soon. Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

At least I'm not trying to "help" them while knowing nothing about the situation.
Why don't you enlighten me then.

And why would you parenthesize the word help?

Do you believe I have other intentions?

I don't know anything about the situation too. That's why I'm not making fool out of myself and am not advicing what to do with Syria.

Without the required knowledge you will fail. Your intentions do not matter at all.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

Maybe Charles Martel could stop posting his fantasies here and leave New York to Syria to get at least some insight.
Wow, is that really necessary, I posted this thread out of concern for Christians in the East facing an uncertain future under radical Islamist regimes like the Muslim Brotherhood and I get nothing but accused of engaging in "fantasies".

Don't worry "Mike", I had quite enough insight about the religion of peace right here in NY on 911, I won't be leaving here anytime soon. Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

At least I'm not trying to "help" them while knowing nothing about the situation.
Why don't you enlighten me then.

And why would you parenthesize the word help?

Do you believe I have other intentions?

I don't know anything about the situation too. That's why I'm not making fool out of myself and am not advicing what to do with Syria.

Without the required knowledge you will fail. Your intentions do not matter at all.
I've already produced posts from your own Church's concern about the situation in Syria, maybe you believe them to be fools as well and I have been following it for some time myself now , I'm probably more informed about it than you.

And I haven't "advised" anything except cooperation and solidarity amongst Christians worldwide for their brethren in potential danger over in that aprt of the world, what is the problem?

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »

Syrian militants break into archbishop’s residence

Aleppo, Syria, Aug 28, 2012 / 02:33 am (EWTN News)

Read more: http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=6054#ixzz25WkFthkJ

The Franciscan priest said a solution to the conflict is not in sight “because none of the protagonists in the field, national and international, put pressure to start real dialogue.”

A member of the local Catholic hierarchy, speaking anonymously for safety reasons, warned against efforts to incite further tensions.

“With the intervention, well established, of jihadist groups, there is an attempt to foment hatred and sectarian conflict,” he said. “There is an increasing number of Wahhabi and Salafi Islamist militias, from Chechnya, Pakistan, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Tunisia, Arabia, Libya

Read more: http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=6054#ixzz25WkUeGNq

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »

Whatever.

Some of you Orthodox are a nasty lot.

The "Christian" West tore down the Arab Christian neighborhood of "Little Syria" to build the World Trade Center on top of it.  In the 911 rubble they found the cornerstone of the church of your correligionists the Maronites, which our purported "saviors" condemned and tore down to erect their modern tower of Babel.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

With the advent of the so-called "Arab Spring", the  Muslim Brotherhood gaining momentum and Islam encroaching on historically Orthodox lands, you don't see the possibility of a similar scenario just prior to the First Crusade?

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there must be some solidarity between Catholics, East and West as well as more vocal opposition to the situation in the East.

No, the world is entirely reversed from then. During the time of the first Crusades western Europe was completely underdeveloped
, Eastern Europe was inching towards decline, and the Arabs and Turks were on the rise culturally, economically, politically, and technologically.  In our contemporary time, the Western world is ages beyond the developing Arab/Turk/Muslim world, Eastern Europe is experiencing almost a revival of sorts (pre-Recession that is to say) and it is literally unfeasible for the Muslims/Arabs to somehow challenge the hegemony and dominance of western money and technology.  If they were to try it, it would be sudden demise. In all actuality, the Arabs would probably LOVE to be able to launch a war, we have a lot of mutual political and economic gripe which provokes hostilities at every strata of our societies. In all truth, the Western world is probably only humoring the Arabs because of financial opportunities, as I am quite sure that if it was in Western economic interests, they'd wipe the Arabs of the map without blinking  Lips Sealed

stay blessed,
habte selassie
  Well for a ragtag group of mercenaries from a collage  of "underdeveloped" nations, they sure did a number on the superior Islamic force surrounding the Holy Land
who were in the midst of a civil war.  Several, as a matter of fact.
Aren't they always?
No, they aren't.  The Fatimid Caliphate, for instance, had gone over two centuries without one.  The US hasn't done as well.

Still doesn't deter from the fact that a few thousand Frankish knights from a thousand miles away routed a force ten times theirs in their own back yard. Even with Saladin uniting them for a short time, the Crusaders fell due in part to their own hubris and infighting.
40,000+ is more than a few thousand.  And they didn't face much of a fight until Antioch, far from the Muslim centers and well under a thousand miles from Jerusalem, and did not face a battle as you describe it until the Battle of Ascalon, when they had occupied Jerusalem already.
I think your figure of 40thousand is a bit inflated, anyway, i'm talking about actual Knights or Templars who were really the force behind the Crusade. But even if your close in that number, you have to consider they crossed two continents and the Med sea just to get there, were tired, undernourished, and thousands of miles ( a logistical eternity in those days) away from their homelands
The Caliphs did as much, and more, reaching the Pyrenees and central Asia.

and that was before Antioch, a major battle they should've never won but perhaps from divine intervention or complete Arab incompetence
They were fighting Turks, not Arabs (except the Christian Arabs they expelled).

either way, the Crusaders pulled off an almost impossible victory in what you erroneously decribe as not a "Muslim center", on the contrary, Antioch was almost in the heart of the Levant with the Crusaders being surrounded by Islam.
No, that was Aleppo, whose ability to withstand the Crusader doomed the Crusades.

Antioch, between earthquakes, seiges, sackings, etc. had dwindled to nearly nothing.  That says nothing of the Patriarchate of Antioch (and for that matter, of Alexandria and Jerusalem), which remained predominantly Christian, until after the Crusades. In 1071, the Empire of the Romans looked like this: 

and many, many Christians lived across the frontier further south and east.

And Islam has always been warring within itself, the religion was founded on warring tribes which is much the case today. The children of Ishmael only occasionaly put down their sword against each other to unite and fight the invading infidel from outside their realms.
what Muslim was here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_Religion

This son of Ishmael

bears only the Word of God as his sword.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

Whatever.

The "Christian" West tore down the Arab Christian neighborhood of "Little Syria" to build the World Trade Center on top of it.  In the 911 rubble they found the cornerstone of the church of your correligionists the Maronites, which our purported "saviors" condemned and tore down to erect their modern tower of Babel.
Sooo.....what does all this have to do with the situation for Christians in Syria again?

And last I checked the Orthodox were of the same "religion" as  Latin Roman Catholics.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »

And last I checked the Orthodox were of the same "religion" as  Latin Roman Catholics.

There are EOs who would disagree with this statement.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »

ialmisry, I have no problem with Arab Christians, actually the point of this thread is my concern for them.

And why would any Christian brag about the greatness of any Islamic Caliphates?

One more thing, I don't care how many anti-Latin Catholic posters come here and try to diminish the Crusaders victory at Antioch, it was nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the Latins resolve against the infidel in the Levant.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2012, 07:05:33 PM »

Doesn't mean it's not true.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

ialmisry, I have no problem with Arab Christians, actually the point of this thread is my concern for them.

One more thing, I don't care how many anti-Latin Catholic posters come here and try to diminish the Crusaders victory at Antioch, it was nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the Latins resolve against the infidel in the Levant.

Easy my brother, this is a world of difference between people arguing historiography and people arguing polemics Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »

If you agree that Orthodox and Catholics aren't of the same religion then why did you say otherwise?  Huh
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

Whatever.

Don't worry "Mike", I had quite enough insight about the religion of peace right here in NY on 911, I won't be leaving here anytime soon. Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

The "Christian" West tore down the Arab Christian neighborhood of "Little Syria" to build the World Trade Center on top of it.  In the 911 rubble they found the cornerstone of the church of your correligionists the Maronites, which our purported "saviors" condemned and tore down to erect their modern tower of Babel.
Sooo.....what does all this have to do with the situation for Christians in Syria again?

And last I checked the Orthodox were of the same "religion" as  Latin Roman Catholics.
Last time you checked must have been before 1100.

Worshippers of mammon aren't going to help the Christians in Syria.  Or anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:16:52 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Yeeeah.

Although you should give the devil his due, no Christian bragged about the greatness of any Islamic Caliphate.
Yeeeah. If you say so.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »

If you agree that Orthodox and Catholics aren't of the same religion then why did you say otherwiseHuh
  Where did I I say that?  Huh

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »

Whatever.

Don't worry "Mike", I had quite enough insight about the religion of peace right here in NY on 911, I won't be leaving here anytime soon. Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

The "Christian" West tore down the Arab Christian neighborhood of "Little Syria" to build the World Trade Center on top of it.  In the 911 rubble they found the cornerstone of the church of your correligionists the Maronites, which our purported "saviors" condemned and tore down to erect their modern tower of Babel.

And last I checked the Orthodox were of the same "religion" as  Latin Roman Catholics.
Last time you checked must have been before 1100.

Worshippers of mammon aren't going to help the Christians in Syria.  Or anywhere.
Worshipper of mammon? Really? you've got to be kidding me.

Where do you get this stuff from?

Unless you mistake me for a Zionist or Protestant of some sort.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

Yeeeah.

Although you should give the devil his due, no Christian bragged about the greatness of any Islamic Caliphate.
Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

I see we're getting no where here and now you're just being unreasonable because of some innate hatred of Western "Christians" as you put it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on some issues.

Anyway I have to get going, I have some mammon close by that I need to prostrate in front of before I forget. Grin

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »

Vovoid Todd has nothing on this.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:46 AM »

Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

I think we all can agree anyone from Warsaw has already seen enough.
Why is it looking like Paris these days?

Another concreter . . .

Warsaw

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

Maybe you need to  leave Warsaw and get to Aleppo to get a little insight yourself.

I think we all can agree anyone from Warsaw has already seen enough.
Why is it looking like Paris these days?

Another concreter . . .

Warsaw
What? What does that mean. What is your point?

You Orthodox need to stop beating around the bush and say what you mean already.

We Latins don't mince words......at least I don't.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

I see we're getting no where here and now you're just being unreasonable because of some innate hatred of Western "Christians" as you put it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on some issues.
Like the ignorance of history by those suffering from arrogance serving the Hubris of the West.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

Like the ignorance of history by those suffering from arrogance serving the Hubris of the West.
The only ones I see "suffering" are Christians in the East with Mohamed's foot on their necks.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

The only ones I see "suffering" are Christians in the East with Mohamed's foot on their necks.
after the Crusaders pulled the rug from under their feet, kicked Mohamad, and ran away.

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

after the Crusaders pulled the rug from under their feet, kicked Mohamad, and ran away.
Yea, whatever.....26 thousand posts on this forum and this is all you can come up with?

You can't even spell Mohamed right.

Seems in your view, the Latin Crusaders did such a good job usurping Christianity in the East it never recovered.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »

Seems in your view, the Latin Crusaders did such a good job usurping Christianity in the East it never recovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Crusade

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

Can't help but nit-pick here, but as far as I'm aware there's no standardized transliteration of that name into English. I think Mohammad or Muhammad are more accurate to the Arabic though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:05:38 PM by Nephi » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

after the Crusaders pulled the rug from under their feet, kicked Mohamed, and ran away.
Yea, whatever.....26 thousand posts on this forum and this is all you can come up with?
Just answering a fool in his folly. I save the good stuff for intelligent conversation.

Sure can:محمد

Btw, Romanized it's Muhammad, and Anglicized it might be Mohammed.  But "Mohamed," that's just illiterate.

Latin Crusaders are destructive that way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:31:53 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »

God will prevail in the end. So we are best off praying for mercy.

LET US SET OUR SIGHTS ON THE REAL KINGDOM

LUKE  12
4“I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. 6Are not five sparrows sold for two penniesa? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

32“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:58:10 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

Lol. Ialmisry is a native Arabic speaker.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »

after the Crusaders pulled the rug from under their feet, kicked Mohamad, kicked the native Christians in the *&&^ and ran away.

I unfortunately have to agree with this, as edited above.   I hate to sound anti-Western - I'm really not - but this really is a case where (the then-resurgent) Western Europe did not produce good fruits, and the Latin Church unfortunately was highly culpable.  

[“was” I say because I believe recent Popes have apologized, though the Latin Church’s awareness of how bad things got is still IMO insufficient, sometimes negatively effecting interaction and dialogue]

First, per your previous question, I call the empire in Constantinople the “Roman Empire” and the people there “Romans” because that's what they called themselves, and they are my ancestors.   "Byzantine" is a name given to them in the Renaissance to further separate that empire from the Renaissance classicists' idealized ancient Rome.  

Second, there is no doubt that many of the crusaders victories were significant military feats, something that requires will and morale, and in that sense are notable, and sometimes unquestionably admirable as military feats.  

Third, I do not doubt the sincerity of some of the crusaders.  Some of the religious orders, as much as the concept is odd for Eastern Christians, conducted themselves well, though others (in particular the Normans), were out for themselves and not for "Christendom".  

However, in the end, nothing good for the Christians of the Middle East came from the crusades.   During Latin rule, aside from the Maronites and some of the Armenians, they were either ignored, given second class status (compared to Latin Christianity), considered enemies or expelled.   (I would note that similar happened in the Greek Islands under Venetian rule)  Of course, afterwards, all Christians were considered collaborators by the Muslims.  

From the perspective of Chalcedonian Eastern Christians (i.e. those in the Empire and those in union with the Empire), crusading – Papally authorized calls for troops to go fight - were an unmitigated disaster.  

Politically, the Emperor asked the pope for troops to help shore up the Roman frontier (also note that anti-Norman and anti-German politics probably had some play in this).  He was not expecting a mass movement of loosely-organized knights running around Anatolia, forming their own states, expelling his representatives, massacring "his" people (i.e. the Chalcedonian Christians of the Middle East), , causing excessive political headaches with the Muslims (the crusaders could always go to a home where they would not worry about Muslims.   The Romans home was right next to the Muslims and had to deal with them when they got overly upset), and going on a principled but likely unsustainable attempt to conquer Jerusalem.  Moreover, Crusaders would almost always kick out the local bishop, appoint their own, and massacre/expeltheir flocks, or reduce the flocks to what amounted to dhimmitude, except with the Latins replacing the Muslims on top.  

Moreover, once Constantinople was taken by the rogue 4th crusade  (abetted by dynastic squabbling all too typical of both pagan and Christian Roman politics), you are aware that the Pope specifically praised the unexpected act as ending the "schism" (while condemning crusader's excess) and that him and many subsequent pope specifically called for crusades against "schismatics" to prop up the Latin "Empire" in Constantinople and fight the natives.  

The “Latin dhimmitdue” combined with these crusades in Greece, the Ionian islands and Anatolia are part of the reasons many Greek Christians preferred Muslim versus Latin rulers once the Empire crumbled - the experience of expulsions or functional dhimmitude under the Latins was perceived to be worse than actual dhimmitude under the Muslim.  

The answer would be, "yes".   The crusades were awful for the native Christians, some more than others, but still bad.  

If you want a discussion from a Catholic source, see "History of the Melkite Patriarchates Volume 1 Pre-Modern Period", written by one of Rome's top "Orientalists" of the early 1900s and translated under the supervision of the man who is now the Melkite Catholic bishop in the US:
https://secure.webvalence.com/ecommerce/kiosk.lasso?merchant=ecpubs&kiosk=books&class=6

As far as today goes, I think everyone would like some of the current Middle Eastern governments (in particular Egypt and Syria) to protect the rights of all citizens and residents regardless of creed or sect, but doing so constructively is hard.  Moreover, my understanding of Middle Eastern politics is that expecting them to do so is unrealistic – oftentimes, politics is viewed as a winner-takes-all-for-his-backers-or-sect kind of affair.   The West can probably work good there, but it will have to be careful and tread lightly unless something egregious (e.g. systematic persecution of Copts) takes place.  

[as an aside, my stone throwing at Old Rome is one sided because it’s the topic here.  There are plenty of stones that could be thrown against Constantinople as well]

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:02:16 AM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Green_Umbrella

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

That is a joke. The Christians in the east were folding under Islam all on their own long before any Crusaders showed up and stopped total collapse.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:23:31 AM by Green_Umbrella » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

That is a joke. The Christians in the east were folding under Islam all on their own long before any Crusaders showed up and stopped total collapse.

Care to explain that one?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Green_Umbrella

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

Yeeeah.

Yeeeah. If you say so.
Yeah I do.

Care to explain that one?

I think it is clear.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »

I actually took the time to read the entire article, I'll admit, my knowledge of the Fourth Crusade is limited, I have read in the past that the sack of Constantinople was indeed a tragedy and some of the Crusaders acted rather unsavory which I'm sure if they were unrepentive  of that fact, did have to answer to the Lord Jesus for their atrocities, which it seems there were many.

As a Latin Catholic in the West, I am not proud of that part of our history but like the article points out, the Byzantines had a share in their fate through their own treachery, especially amongst the ruling class, they also seem to cozy up and use the Muslims as allies when it's convenient for them. a definite no-no to the Frankish Crusaders. Also, the Pope did indeed try to prevent the siege of the Byzantines numerous times and even threatened the Crusaders with excommunication, all to no avail since some of the corrupted clergy and leadership censored the papal letters from reaching the Crusaders forbidding them to attack the Orthodox city.

There's a lot of blame to go around in all this, but in the end, it was the Christians, East and West that paid for the aspirations of a greedy sect of the Crusaders and their Venetian naval allies and corruption of the Byzantine royalty whose murdering and infighting of each other and trying to use the Latin warriors for their own ends blew up in their face.
This dark pe riod in the Crusades should not lessen the fact that they did liberate Jerusalem from the infidel and
make it safe for Christendom at one point and not all the Latin Crusaders were murderous thieves, rapists and thugs that the historical revisionists in Hollywood Left and Islamic world  make them out to be.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »

Please, be militant elsewhere.

Your arguments have been disproved by several posters here some of whom live in Arabic countries and one being an Arabic Christian. Your arguments also lack basic historical knowledge. You operate on some Western myths and stereotypes instead. Don't you see no one agrees with you?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:41:33 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

As a Latin Catholic in the West, I am not proud of that part of our history but like the article points out, the Byzantines had a share in their fate through their own treachery, especially amongst the ruling class, they also seem to cozy up and use the Muslims as allies when it's convenient for them.

Shouldn't have pillaged Greek territory in the first and second crusade then. Wasn't John the Oxite, Patriarch of Antioch kicked out of town by your heroic crusaders?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:50:11 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Green_Umbrella

« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

As a Latin Catholic in the West, I am not proud of that part of our history but like the article points out, the Byzantines had a share in their fate through their own treachery, especially amongst the ruling class, they also seem to cozy up and use the Muslims as allies when it's convenient for them.

Shouldn't have pillaged Greek territory in the first and second crusade then. Wasn't John the Oxite, Patriarch of Antioch kicked out of town by your heroic crusaders?

I think the Crusaders were heroic. Absolutely. Did they commit atrocities by modern standards, sure, no doubt. So did everyone else practicing warfare at that time. The Crusaders did no more and no less than what everyone else did.  Imagine a world with no Crusaders. Islam quickly finishes off what is left of the Eastern Empire. With no unifying call for Crusade to unite the nobles of the west to defend Christianity Islam keeps pushing. Steam rolls right over all of Europe. If no one is strong enough to stop them they do not stop. Why should they? Once they have conquered all of the Christian lands they consolidate their gains by destroying 99.99% of Christianity and this forum does not exist.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »

I think the Crusaders were heroic. Absolutely. Did they commit atrocities by modern standards, sure, no doubt. So did everyone else practicing warfare at that time. The Crusaders did no more and no less than what everyone else did.  Imagine a world with no Crusaders. Islam quickly finishes off what is left of the Eastern Empire. With no unifying call for Crusade to unite the nobles of the west to defend Christianity Islam keeps pushing. Steam rolls right over all of Europe. If no one is strong enough to stop them they do not stop. Why should they? Once they have conquered all of the Christian lands they consolidate their gains by destroying 99.99% of Christianity and this forum does not exist.

That's just pathetic fantasy. If anything the crusades hasted the demise of the Eastern Empire. ening

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

Please, be militant elsewhere.

Your arguments have been disproved by several posters here some of whom live in Arabic countries and one being an Arabic Christian. Your arguments also lack basic historical knowledge. You operate on some Western myths and stereotypes instead. Don't you see no one agrees with you?
If you're referring to me. what "arguments"? The only thing I asked for was the call for solidarity and concern for Eastern Christians, especially in Syria right now and maybe some insight from Orthodox about the situation going on there. Personally, I believe Western gov'ts intervening there right now would be disastrous for Christians, but the Western Church should support them against the radical Muslims any which way we can.

Is that so bad?

And some of these Arab "Christians" on here despise me and are blatantly aggressive for the very fact that I'm Western European and Latin Catholic. Now, you tell me, who's being "militant" here?

One more thing, written history is always slanted from the view of it's scholars. Of course people in the East, particularly Muslims are going to refer to the Franks as invaders, murderers and criminals. but they don't want to talk about how many "infidels" they put to the sword or the treatment of Christians or the fact that it was all Christian land before Islam prior to the Pope's call for Crusade, no, they don't want to talk about that at all. It's all about fanatical, greedy papists attacking innocent Muslims while desecrating and laying waste to the Holy Land.

Everyone has their own version of history, including the Arabs. There are many sides to the story..........but only one true one.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »

Also, the Pope did indeed try to prevent the siege of the Byzantines numerous times and even threatened the Crusaders with excommunication, all to no avail since some of the corrupted clergy and leadership censored the papal letters from reaching the Crusaders forbidding them to attack the Orthodox city.

He did create Latin Patriarchate of Constantinople.

This dark pe riod in the Crusades should not lessen the fact that they did liberate Jerusalem from the infidel

No. These were Latins who did it, not the Orthodox Christians.

If you're referring to me. what "arguments"? The only thing I asked for was the call for solidarity and concern for Eastern Christians, especially in Syria right now and maybe some insight from Orthodox about the situation going on there. Personally, I believe Western gov'ts intervening there right now would be disastrous for Christians, but the Western Church should support them against the radical Muslims any which way we can.

Is that so bad?

And some of these Arab "Christians" on here despise me and are blatantly aggressive for the very fact that I'm Western European and Latin Catholic. Now, you tell me, who's being "militant" here?

Don't you think that if you want to help Eastern Christians you should hear what help do they need from them and not decide it by yourself ignoring their needs?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:40:10 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »

I can't think of any place on the globe that once  been dominated by Islam has ever returned otherwise, especially back to Christianity with the possible exception of Cordoba in Roman Catholic Spain.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »

I can't think of any place on the globe that once  been dominated by Islam has ever returned otherwise, especially back to Christianity with the possible exception of Cordoba in Roman Catholic Spain.

Colonialism? Syria and North-Africa where conquered by the French and Palestine and Egypt by the British. But don't let reality get in the way.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:43:37 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

See those crescents under the Cross?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »

Gee Charles Martel, stop playing those on-line role playing games and fantasizing about the fifth Crusade or whatever mechanism you're using to achieve world domination.
Green_Umbrella

« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »

That's just pathetic fantasy. If anything the crusades hasted the demise of the Eastern Empire. ening

Not a fantasy at all. The Eastern Empire was in total collapse.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: