Author Topic: Intersessors of the Lamb: RC help needed  (Read 1348 times)

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
Intersessors of the Lamb: RC help needed
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:22 AM »
So, for the last couple of years my 65 y/o mother has been attending meetings with the Intercessors of the Lamb.  She is Lutheran, but almost always attends RC mass and has been doing so for decades since I was born.  

She has been very enthusiastic about her experience with them; how they speak in tongues, etc.  She seems pretty happy with them.  Although recently it has dawned on me that this group doesn't sound terribly Catholic.  I did some research and found that it is a lay movement, one which the RCC has "suppressed."

Honestly, it sounds like a cult to me and I don't know if I should be concerned.  Where does this group stand in relation to the RCC? It sounds as though it is somewhere in a no-man's-land between being bone fide and schismatic. Any info from anyone familiar with this group would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:58:31 AM by john_mo »
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
Re: Intersessors of the Lamb: RC help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:07:12 AM »
Here is a news article:

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130604/NEWS/706049934

The founder of Intercessors of the Lamb, a controversial religious group that eventually lost its affiliation with the Roman Catholic Church, died Monday.

Nadine Brown, a formerly cloistered nun who founded the Omaha-based nonprofit prayer group in the 1980s, was 83. ...

Yes, you are correct, this group is no longer affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »
Here is a news article:

The founder of Intercessors of the Lamb, a controversial religious group that eventually lost its affiliation with the Roman Catholic Church, died Monday.

Nadine Brown, a formerly cloistered nun who founded the Omaha-based nonprofit prayer group in the 1980s, was 83. ...

Yes, you are correct, this group is no longer affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.

Ah, so they are schismatics with the RCC.  Still, it seems as though they are being tolerated somewhat.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
Here is a news article:

Ah, so they are schismatics with the RCC.  Still, it seems as though they are being tolerated somewhat.

My Sister in Law was involved for some time in what started out as a sanctioned Charismatic movement by the RCC.  It got so wild that the RCC had to dismiss them as kooks.  Im not sure if this movement is still alive, but it all started after Vat II.....   

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

My Sister in Law was involved for some time in what started out as a sanctioned Charismatic movement by the RCC.  It got so wild that the RCC had to dismiss them as kooks.  Im not sure if this movement is still alive, but it all started after Vat II.....  

It is still alive in the Roman Catholic Church.

https://scrc.org/ - Los Angeles Archdiocese - See the excerpt below from http://scrc.org/about/index.php

SCRC is an officially commissioned ministry of the Los Angeles Archdiocese. This ministry is completely self-supporting and is not financially subsidized by any diocese, church or institution.

Pope Francis has been involved in the Charismatic Movement too.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:04:52 PM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας