OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:18:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could someone recommend me a prayer book in English  (Read 286 times) Average Rating: 0
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:48 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a prayer book in English that is available in (or at least from) the UK. If someone could recommend one that has a decent selection of prayers including preparation for confession (very important) that would be great. Most of the prayer books I currently have are in Romanian and I can speak the language and understand it so I'm happy using them but the longer prayers take me an age to read. I have one English prayer book at present, the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash which seems to be the most widely available one over here, but I really don't like the modern English language - I've spent more than half my life in an area where people still say thee and thou in everyday speech, and I certainly expect it at least in a religious setting. I'd also like it to be small enough to carry around with me if at all possible.

If anyone could point me at a book that meets my criteria and preferably also where I can buy it from I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »

The two most common prayerbooks in English are
1) the one published by HTM (HOly Transfiguration Monastery)
2) the Jordanville Prayer book (also available online)

I don't think you would have problems getting these over in the UK.  That said, I have no opinion of the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash.  The two I mentioned above use a more formal, Elizabethan English which may be more to your liking.  Also, they both contain a number of akathists and canons as well as apolytikia for most major feasts and commemorations.  Try one of those, though my preference is for the HTM.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a prayer book in English that is available in (or at least from) the UK. If someone could recommend one that has a decent selection of prayers including preparation for confession (very important) that would be great. Most of the prayer books I currently have are in Romanian and I can speak the language and understand it so I'm happy using them but the longer prayers take me an age to read. I have one English prayer book at present, the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash which seems to be the most widely available one over here, but I really don't like the modern English language - I've spent more than half my life in an area where people still say thee and thou in everyday speech, and I certainly expect it at least in a religious setting. I'd also like it to be small enough to carry around with me if at all possible.

If anyone could point me at a book that meets my criteria and preferably also where I can buy it from I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks

James

Here's a good one that's in the quasi-Elizabethan English: http://www.stspress.com/products-page/books/orthodox-daily-prayers/

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: