OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox priest appointed as a Hegumen in the Coptic Church  (Read 7456 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »

^Abouna, I am honored to be the first person to welcome you to OC.net!

Father bless,
Severian
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:14:00 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »

And I am glad to be the second.

Many years Father.

Your brother in the service of our Lord,

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
AbounaMoses

Jurisdiction: Coptic Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2011, 05:18:34 AM »

Thank you Severian for your welcome and also to you my dear co-servant in the Lord Fr Peter, I kiss your blessed hands and am asking you to remember me at the Altar of the Lord. I am so blessed to be serving within our church. I ask the Lord our God to enlighten our hearts to respond to His grace and His call for unity among all Orthodox believers.

In Christ Jesus

Abouna Moses.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:19:16 AM by AbounaMoses » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Father Moses!

If you don't mind my curiosity, could you tell why you wanted to be transferred from the Serbian church to the Coptic church? Even though EO and OO are rather close to each other for the time being they remain separate so you must have pondered this decision rather closely.

AbounaMoses

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »

Alpo, it would  take a long time to give a full answer to your question. Perhaps the quickest answer is this; the first man I ever met who showed me by his life that it was possible to live according to the teachings of Christ was a Malankara Orthodox  priestmonk; the ever memorable servant of God Abouna P K Skariah. He fell asleep in the Lord in October last year and through a mysterious chain of events, which I believe are linked to his heavenly prayers for me, I have ended up in the OO Church.  That is the truth plain and simple. I could say so much more but refrain from doing so as this is not the appropriate place. Suffice it to say I did ponder the decision carefully but there are simply times in your life where the grace and guidance of God is so blindingly clear as it was to all concerned in this move I simply rose up and followed :-) I remain deeply attached in my heart to the EO church and whilst realising the current limitations the language of the Spirit and the inner unity in Christ  is another thing altogether. My beloved Abouna Skariah of blesssed memory taught me that many many years ago.

May God bless you and fill your days with joy!

Abouna Moses.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »

Perhaps the quickest answer is this; the first man I ever met who showed me by his life that it was possible to live according to the teachings of Christ was a Malankara Orthodox  priestmonk; the ever memorable servant of God Abouna P K Skariah. He fell asleep in the Lord in October last year and through a mysterious chain of events, which I believe are linked to his heavenly prayers for me, I have ended up in the OO Church.  

Abouna Moses did you run into Fr. Skariah while in Australia?  Though I was never lucky to have met Fr. Skariah, I have heard enough about him from my other Malankara Orthodox friends and aquaintences. I thought it would be very relevant here to share some bio data about the Late Fr. Skariah.

Fr Skariah started his career as a teacher in Catholicate High school (a school run by the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church), Pathanamthitta. Just after serving as a teacher for two years, he had a religious calling and joined the religious field by devoting his life in North Kerala (predominantly Muslim's and poor Hindu area) as a missionary with the late Pathros Mar Osthathios, Metropolitan who founded  'Servant of the Cross' movement. He then extended his mission field to the neighboring state of Karnataka (Bramahvar) and then to North India. While he was in Calcutta, he acquired the Homeopathic degree and started his practice as a homeopathic Doctor, a corollary part of the mission work. A lot of poor members of the Church used to go to Calcutta (one of the bigger cities of India) in search of jobs. While in Calcutta Fr. Skariah used to put new comers to the city seeking jobs up at the place he used to run and give them a bed and food.  He would make arrangements so that other boarders would share in for the expenses of the new comer till the new comer ends up with a job and start getting regular salaries.  

He moved to Australia in 1980, and was the first Malankara Orthodox Syrian Priest to go to that country.  While there he established the first Malankara Orthodox congregation there. He was instrumental in purchasing an Anglican Church that was East facing and converting it into an Orthodox temple of worship. He served in Australia for 17 years and then returned back to his homeland in the state of Kerala in India. Even at that age he took it upon himself to make sure that retired priests are taken care of. He started a project to construct an old age home for retired priests. Before this project could be completed he fell asleep in the Lord on 18-Oct-2010 at the age of 82.

One of Fr Skariah’s 8 siblings is also a monk. His name is Fr. Theodosius, who is a Ramban (monk teacher) and is the head of Maylapara Dayro (Monastery) in Kerala, India.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:18:05 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »

Here is some more information on Fr Skariah:
http://www.melbournemedhanialem.com/pdf/Rev.Fr.%20P%20K%20Skariah.pdf

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »

Welcome to oc.net Abouna, and may the blessings and prayers of Fr Skaria be with us all.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »

Welcome Father!  I'm very glad you have joined us.   Smiley

AbounaMoses

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome extended to me in this forum and in the emails sent to me. Now as to the blessed Abouna Skariah. I first encountered him at St Virgin Mary's Coptic Church in Melbourne during a visit to Australia by HG Antonious Markos in the early 1980s. I instantly loved him the moment I met him. He was the embodiment of all that it meant to be a little disciple of Jesus. I was an Anglican in those days and becoming increasingly interested in Orthodoxy. Abouna was at my ordination to the Anglican priesthood, again there at my Baptism/Chrismation into Holy Orthodoxy and continued to support me during the early days of my ministry in the Orthodox church. What can I say of Abouna's struggles as I witnessed them here in Australia? From the wonderful biographical material posted by dhinuus, thanks so much for that, it can be said that Abouna continued the same serving here in Australia. He took people in, he clothed and fed them he counselled them. He endured criticism from many quarters yet sailed above all of it. I have never ever met a man so God-centred. He loved me, cared for me and counselled me. He put up with my pride and self centredness. He would gently correct me and show me the right path. He was an ikon of forgiveness, this to me was his chief virtue. I was blessed to spend 7 weeks living with him in 1992 when we went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem the blessed city for Pascha in 1992. We also went to Egypt to receive the blessings of beloved Baba Shenouda. It was there, with Abouna Skariah,  that I encountered Fr Suriel (as he was then). Little did I know that nearly 20 years later I would have the privilege of being received into the Coptic church at his blessed hands! He lived an ascetic lfe for all those years he was in Australia. He radiated joy wherever he went, possessed a wonderfully innocent and joyful sense of humour and trusted every soul that came into his life. These words I have written are absolutley true and sober reflections on my experience of a living Saint.  I have many many many stories that I could recount of my experiences with him over approx 10 years of life with him. After he returned to India we corresponded a little however we lost contact. In 2004 or 2005 I received a surprise phone call form a mutual acquaintance in Melbourne "Abouna is here and wants to see you!". And again how wonderful providence is and I weep as I recall this for I had not realised the significance until just now retelling this event.....he asked me to attend him at St Virgin Mary Church in Melbourne the very church I had first met him and the beloved Coptic church that I now belong to! Dearest friends all we need to do in our lives is to scrape the scales form our eyes and we will see the providence of God and inner harmony of His ways in allthings! Anyway to complete the story....as I approached the church I became increasingly excited to see again this beautiful soul that God had sent into my life. And there he was sitting outside in the warm evening air eating a melon and beaming with love and joy. I made metania to him, kissed his blessed pure hands. We enjoyed an hour or two chatting and I left again into the night with his blessing, that blessing was a seed not just for my later entry into the Coptic church but moreso for the renewal of the priesthood which I had during that time found so heavy to bear. He has been at every step of my spiritual journey since I first met him. I will stop now as there is more to tell at perhaps a later time of his intercession for me after his repose. I can only say God is wonderful in His Saints! My deepest prayer is that this blessed man will be glorified and that God will reveal his name among the glorious Saints !!!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I kiss your feet Abuna welcome ! To God be the Glory!!! please keep me in your prayers.

your daughter in Christ
Hiwot.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
AbounaMoses

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »

Beloved handmaiden of the Lord Hiwot may the Lord Himself bless you! You will be edified to know that the blessed Abouna Skariah served many times for our beloved Ethiopians in Melbourne before they had a priest. One of the faithful there witnessed concerning Abouna that "whenever he was with us we felt that he was completely ONE with us. There was absolutley no difference between us!" This oneness for which we all strive is already present, living and overflowing from the hearts of the Saints that God sends to us. For indeed as Christ our God says "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks " (Luke 6:45). Because Abouna offered himself as a "living sacrifice (Romans 12) every single day he received from the Lord a "good measure pressed down shaken together and running over" (Luke 6:38). The great Russian Saint Nektary of Optina says "Hold what is God's in honour" and also "Do not spill the grace"...Abouna utterly exemplified this his engine room was the chapel which may I say he carried in his heart wherever he went. The graces God bestowed on him during his faithful reciting of the divine services was the good measure which began to run over into the lives of all he touched. He utterly kept St Nektary's directive; he never spilled the grace nor "cast his pearls before swine" (Matt 7:6). He kept that grace deep within him and as the Lord directed so he faithfully dispensed the required measure to the sick soul. He was beloved of all the OO churches here in Melbourne. It was Abouna who introduced me to our beloved Ethiopian church. I owe him my life.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »

How wonderful! praise God!, Truly God is Glorified in His Saints! May the Holy Father's intercession be with all that follow in his path in tending to the flock of the Lord wherever they may be.I feel very blessed for having heard this. Abuna long life to you!!!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »

Out of curiosity, is the same procedure done when an OO Priest translates to Byzantine Orthodoxy?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:53 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This has always been the way. The canons established by St Timothy Aelurus and followed by all the fathers that came after him, including St Severus, instruct us to receive those coming from Chalcedonianism in their orders and without rebaptism.

Father Peter

I agree, this is why I fellowship so comfortably with Eastern Orthodox and consider them sisters, we're not in open Communion, but we'd kindly accept any such folks back Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Al Lipscomb

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian, Diocese of Miami and the Southeast

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

I do hope that the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox are reunited. Our small church is blessed with many families from among the many people groups in the Middle East. We have at least one Coptic family that attends Divine Liturgy with us on a regular basis. It would be a great blessing for all of us to be able to come together with all of the issues resolved.

---
AA4YU CISSP
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »

Congratulations..many years
Tags: Ordination  coptic  vestment  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: