OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:00:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maranatha  (Read 833 times) Average Rating: 0
Nicene
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »

This word appears twice in the new testament as far as I know, and is unique in that it isnt greek but is actually aramaic. Now someone asked me if this appears at all within our liturgies, and since I don't speak or understand the greek liturgy at all that well I just want to ask does this word ever appear in any of our liturgies?
John Chrysostom, Basil and the like?

Thank you.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »

Any invocation of the Lord's Coming is a rough translation of Maranatha, and we have plenty of those in the Liturgy.

Or do you mean the use of the literal aramaic phrase?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:21:15 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:45:32 AM »

It appears, iirc, in some anathemas, the formula being something like :"...anathema, maranatha with the devil and his angels...". Sounds funny.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »

This word appears twice in the new testament as far as I know, and is unique in that it isnt greek but is actually aramaic. Now someone asked me if this appears at all within our liturgies, and since I don't speak or understand the greek liturgy at all that well I just want to ask does this word ever appear in any of our liturgies?
John Chrysostom, Basil and the like?

I cannot recall the phrase itself being used in a liturgical context beyond readings. The same goes for "Eli, Eli, lama sabachtani" and other untranslated Aramaic phrases from the NT.
Nicene
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Any invocation of the Lord's Coming is a rough translation of Maranatha, and we have plenty of those in the Liturgy.

Or do you mean the use of the literal aramaic phrase?
The literal word maranatha.

Thank you.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

I have heard some priests say "Maranatha" or "Maranatha, come Lord Jesus" immediately after they complete the epiclesis at the Liturgy. I've never seen this in a service book, though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:55:22 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

It appears, iirc, in some anathemas, the formula being something like :"...anathema, maranatha with the devil and his angels...". Sounds funny.
So what is the difference between:
anathema and
anathema maranatha?
Also, are you excommunicated if you do something which has been anathematised or anathematised with a maranatha?
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »

I thought this thread was about that song

no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »

I have heard some priests say "Maranatha" or "Maranatha, come Lord Jesus" immediately after they complete the epiclesis at the Liturgy. I've never seen this in a service book, though.
Perhaps they were speaking in tongues. Wouldn't be surprised.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »

Cute. I doubt it, though. I don't know of many that do it, but they do it at every Liturgy, like some informal tradition they received. I've never asked about it. Perhaps I should.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

Cute. I doubt it, though. I don't know of many that do it, but they do it at every Liturgy, like some informal tradition they received. I've never asked about it. Perhaps I should.
It doesn't sound like a custom that would have arisen among the orthodox. Sounds pretentious. Plus hearing the epiclesis isn't traditional either.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:43:22 PM by augustin717 » Logged
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

It doesn't sound like a custom that would have arisen among the orthodox. Sounds pretentious. Plus hearing the epiclesis isn't traditional either.

It also seems a bit out of place after the epiklesis.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

"And then all of God's laos said..."

akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »

"And then all of God's laos said..."

Spell it out for me!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »

Spell it out for me!
AY-MEN! Oh, PRAISE to that-a consubstantial-uh and-a life-creatin' Trinity-yah!

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »

Spell it out for me!
AY-MEN! Oh, PRAISE to that-a consubstantial-uh and-a life-creatin' Trinity-yah!

*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

I see what you're saying, but I also think this presents a confusion of the Divine Persons.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

Appropriate perhaps in the context of the Gregorian liturgy, in which the anaphora is addressed to God the Son. In any other context, however, I, like you, am uncomfortable with its inclusion after the epiklesis. Perhaps the Russian inclusion of the 3rd Hour troparion has led some priests to believe that it's okay to insert any prayer that 'kinda sounds like it belongs'.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:46:16 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »

I've heard this done while I was serving. The epiclesis was done during, "we praise thee, we bless thee," and spoken, most likely inaudible to those in the nave, and "marantha" said immediately after the triple "amen."

I understood saying it at that point to be a recognition of Christ coming in the Eucharist and a prayer for the glorious second coming.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »

I see what you're saying, but I also think this presents a confusion of the Divine Persons.
You certainly don't mean that black baptist congregations are subject to Western influence, do you?  Shocked

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: