OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:28:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniqueness of Christianity  (Read 918 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: July 31, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »

How is Christianity unique in your eyes?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

Christ.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »

The concept of Grace
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »

Christ.

How is Christ unique than let's say Osiris , Horus , Apollo , Krishna , Mithra who were sons of God or avatars of God, conceived supernaturally , died and were reborn/resurrected ?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »

Christ.

How is Christ unique than let's say Osiris , Horus , Apollo , Krishna , Mithra who were sons of God or avatars of God, conceived supernaturally , died and were reborn/resurrected ?

Because almost none of those claims are true.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »

*Sigh, bangs his head against keyboard*

You owe me a new keyboard!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:12:29 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »

Christ.

Because Christ actually existed.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »

The concept of Grace

And redemption.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

Christ.

Because Horus, Apollo, Krishna, and Mithra were not resurrected, and the category "conceived supernaturally" is too vague to have any significance. Mithras (roman) was born fully formed from the side of a rock.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:33:47 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »

Well, I believe that the creator of all that is seen and unseen, touched and untouched, the creator and sustainer of all that is existence, takes three different forms and these three different forms are one. One of these forms humbled Himself to take upon human flesh and blood. (That would kind of be the equivalent of you or I willingly becoming an amoeba) He was conceived by spirit that is also God as is He, and born of a virgin. He knowingly and willingly came from His nice cushy kingdom to this broken world to be betrayed, humiliated, condemned, beaten, crucified, until dead and buried. Then He descended into Hell, rose again from the dead, and ascended back to his kingdom. He walked the earth after death remaining both fully man and fully God. Even now He is still very much alive and an active participant in our lives as is the Spirit another part of the three which is actually one. Why? Simply because God loves us and wants us to have a direct relationship with Him so we can be healed and have eternal existence with Him, recognizing that He is Truth, Love, and purification as opposed to eternal torment because we are simply too screwed up to see Truth from a lie, or even to know we are screwed up in the first place!

Come to think of it Christianity is not unique. It is mystical at the very least if not down right bizarre because it is way beyond our understanding. It is Truth!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:44:39 PM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »

*oops*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:44:14 PM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »

Thank you, Akimori. When I met with my stepfather a few weeks ago for lunch, I told him that I have been baptized recently into the Coptic Orthodox Church (and explained that that is the native church of Egypt). He asked me if I had ever seen that Zeitgeist movie. I'd never heard of it, and he explained it as showing the "connections" between ancient Egyptian myths, oh, and by the way, Jesus was Horus. So I should really like it, because it's about Christianity and Egypt. Undecided

It was very was disappointing and sad. I was unaware that he had gone crazy/gullible/stupid in the few years since I'd last seen him.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »

Dionysus - "His birth was celebrated on January 6th". This was the traditional date for celebrating the birth of Christ also among Christians, and still is in the Armenian Church. Or does "he" refer to Christ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:46:31 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »

Dionysus - "His birth was celebrated on January 6th". This was the traditional date for celebrating the birth of Christ also among Christians, and still is in the Armenian Church. Or does "he" refer to Christ?

I picked that up too but couldn't resolve it.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:13 AM »

Very large image

Where did you get this from?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »

I give you one.. Pick and Choose and oficialize doctrines and dogmas and deem "erroneous" teachings.. From my small knowledge this is unique to Christianity.. Also conciliarity , i think conciliarity was first a christian thing also, i might be wrong though...

Question : What is the gospel in which even angels want to look and see as Paul said?

Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »

"A dying god,[1][2][3][4] also known as a dying-and-rising or resurrection deity, is a god who dies and is resurrected or reborn, in either a literal or symbolic sense (Jung proposed that the myths of the pagan gods who symbolically died and resurrected foreshadowed Christ's literal/physical death and resurrection[5]). Male examples include the ancient Near Eastern and Greek deities Baal,[6] Melqart,[7] Adonis,[8] Eshmun,[9] Attis [10] Tammuz,[11] Asclepius, Orpheus, as well as Ra the Sun god with its fusion with Osiris/Orion,[12] Jesus, Zalmoxis, Dionysus,[13] and Odin.

Female examples are Inanna, also known as Ishtar, whose cult dates to 4000 BCE, and Persephone, the central figure of the Eleusinian Mysteries, whose cult may date to 1700 BCE as the unnamed goddess worshiped in Crete." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_god

"Sol Invictus ("Invincible Sun") was the official sun god of the later Roman Empire. In 274 the Roman emperor Aurelian made it an official cult alongside the traditional Roman cults. Scholars disagree whether the new deity was a refoundation of the ancient Latin cult of Sol,[1] a revival of the cult of Elagabalus[2] or completely new.[3] The god was favored by emperors after Aurelian and appeared on their coins until Constantine.[4] The last inscription referring to Sol Invictus dates to 387 AD[5] and there were enough devotees in the 5th century that Augustine found it necessary to preach against them.

Invictus (unconquered) was an epithet used for various Roman divinities in the Roman Empire. In the Roman Calendar of the early empire these include Jupiter Invictus and Mars Invictus. It was in use from the late Republic and throughout the Imperial period for a range of deities, such as Hercules, Apollo and Silvanus,[11] and was therefore a well-established form when applied to Mithras by Roman devotees from the 2nd century onwards. It has a clear association with solar deities and solar monism; as such, it became the preferred epithet of Rome's traditional Sol and the novel, short-lived Roman state cult to Elagabalus, an Emesan solar deity who headed Rome's official pantheon under his namesake emperor.[12]

The earliest dated use of Sol invictus is in a dedication from Rome, AD 158.[13] Another, stylistically dated to the 2nd century AD, is inscribed on a Roman phalera: "inventori lucis soli invicto augusto" (to the contriver of light, sol invictus augustus ).[14] Here "augustus" is most likely a further epithet of Sol as "august" (an elevated being, divine or close to divinity), though the association of Sol with the Imperial house would have been unmistakable and was already established in iconography and stoic monism.[15] These are the earliest attested examples of Sol as invictus, but in AD 102 a certain Anicetus restored a shrine of Sol; Hijmans (2009, 486, n. 22) is tempted "to link Anicetus' predilection for Sol with his name, the Latinized form of the Greek word ἀνίκητος, which means invictus"."

The first sun god consistently termed invictus was the provincial Syrian god Elagabalus. According to the Historia Augusta, the teenaged Severan heir adopted the name of his deity and brought his cult image from Emesa to Rome. Once installed as emperor, he neglected Rome's traditional State deities and promoted his own as Rome's most powerful deity. This ended with his murder in 222.

The Historia Augusta refers to the deity Elagabalus as "also called Jupiter and Sol" (fuit autem Heliogabali vel Iovis vel Solis)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

"Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn originally held December 17 and later expanded with unofficial festivities through December 23. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn in the Roman Forum and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves.[1] The poet Catullus called it "the best of days."[2]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

"Osiris is the mythological father of the god Horus, whose conception is described in the Osiris myth, a central myth in ancient Egyptian belief. The myth described Osiris as having been killed by his brother Set, who wanted Osiris' throne. Isis briefly brought Osiris back to life by use of a spell that she learned from her father. This spell gave her time to become pregnant by Osiris before he again died. Isis later gave birth to Horus. As such, since Horus was born after Osiris' resurrection, Horus became thought of as a representation of new beginnings and the vanquisher of the evil Set." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

"Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish,[6][7] and used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a gold phallus[8] to conceive her son[citation needed]. Once Isis knew she was pregnant with Horus, she fled to the Nile Delta marshlands to hide from her brother Set who jealously killed Osiris and who she knew would want to kill their son.[9] There Isis bore a divine son, Horus.

Since Horus was said to be the sky, he was considered to also contain the sun and moon. It became said that the sun was his right eye and the moon his left, and that they traversed the sky when he, a falcon, flew across it. Later, the reason that the moon was not as bright as the sun was explained by a tale, known as the contestings of Horus and Set, originating as a metaphor for the conquest of Upper Egypt by Lower Egypt in about 3000 BC. In this tale, it was said that Set, the patron of Upper Egypt, and Horus, the patron of Lower Egypt, had battled for Egypt brutally, with neither side victorious, until eventually the gods sided with Horus (see below)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus

"Ra (play /rɑː/)[1] or Re (play /reɪ/ or /riː/; Egyptian: Rꜥ) is the ancient Egyptian sun god. By the Fifth Dynasty he had become a major deity in ancient Egyptian religion, identified primarily with the midday sun. The meaning of the name is uncertain, but it is thought that if not a word for 'sun' it may be a variant of or linked to words meaning 'creative power' and 'creator'.[2]

The chief cult centre of Ra was Heliopolis (called Iunu, "Place of Pillars", in Egyptian),[3] where he was identified with the local sun-god Atum. Through Atum, or as Atum-Ra he was also seen as the first being and the originator of the Ennead, consisting of Shu and Tefnut, Geb and Nut, Osiris, Set, Isis and Nephthys.

In later Egyptian dynastic times, Ra was merged with the god Horus, as Re-Horakhty ("Ra, who is Horus of the Two Horizons")." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra

"Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun, truth and prophecy, healing, plague, music, poetry, and more. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto, and has a twin sister, the chaste huntress Artemis. Apollo is known in Greek-influenced Etruscan mythology as Apulu.

As the patron of Delphi (Pythian Apollo), Apollo was an oracular god—the prophetic deity of the Delphic Oracle. Medicine and healing are associated with Apollo, whether through the god himself or mediated through his son Asclepius, yet Apollo was also seen as a god who could bring ill-health and deadly plague. Amongst the god's custodial charges, Apollo became associated with dominion over colonists, and as the patron defender of herds and flocks. As the leader of the Muses (Apollon Musegetes) and director of their choir, Apollo functioned as the patron god of music and poetry. Hermes created the lyre for him, and the instrument became a common attribute of Apollo. Hymns sung to Apollo were called paeans.

In Hellenistic times, especially during the 3rd century BCE, as Apollo Helios he became identified among Greeks with Helios, Titan god of the sun, and his sister Artemis similarly equated with Selene, Titan goddess of the moon.[1] In Latin texts, on the other hand, Joseph Fontenrose declared himself unable to find any conflation of Apollo with Sol among the Augustan poets of the 1st century, not even in the conjurations of Aeneas and Latinus in Aeneid XII (161–215).[2] Apollo and Helios/Sol remained separate beings in literary and mythological texts until the 3rd century CE." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo

"The earliest discussions of mythological parallels between Dionysus and the figure of the Christ in Christian theology can be traced to Friedrich Hölderlin, whose identification of Dionysus with Christ is most explicit in Brod und Wein (1800–1801) and Der Einzige (1801–1803).[42]

Modern scholars such as Martin Hengel, Barry Powell, and Peter Wick, among others, argue that Dionysian religion and Christianity have notable parallels. They point to the symbolism of wine and the importance it held in the mythology surrounding both Dionysus and Jesus Christ;[43][44] though, Wick argues that the use of wine symbolism in the Gospel of John, including the story of the Marriage at Cana at which Jesus turns water into wine, was intended to show Jesus as superior to Dionysus.[45]

Scholars of comparative mythology identify both Dionysus and Jesus with the dying-and-returning god mythological archetype.[7] Other elements, such as the celebration by a ritual meal of bread and wine, also have parallels.[46] Powell, in particular, argues precursors to the Christian notion of transubstantiation can be found in Dionysian religion.[46]

Another parallel can be seen in The Bacchae where Dionysus appears before King Pentheus on charges of claiming divinity which is compared to the New Testament scene of Jesus being interrogated by Pontius Pilate." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

"The earliest text to explicitly provide detailed descriptions of Krishna as a personality is the epic Mahābhārata which depicts Krishna as an incarnation of Vishnu.[28] Krishna is central to many of the main stories of the epic. The eighteen chapters of the sixth book (Bhishma Parva) of the epic that constitute the Bhagavad Gita contain the advice of Krishna to the warrior-hero Arjuna, on the battlefield. Krishna is already an adult in the epic, although there are allusions to his earlier exploits. The Harivamsa, a later appendix to this epic, contains the earliest detailed version of Krishna's childhood and youth.

In early texts, such as Rig Veda, there are confidential references to Krishna

"apasyam gopam anipadyamana ma ca para ca pathibhis carantam sa sadhricih sa visucir vasana avatirvati bhuvanesv antah "

I saw a cowherd. He never falls from his position; sometimes he is near, and some times far, wandering on various paths. He is a friend, decorated with a variety of clothes. He comes again and again to the material world. - Rig Veda 1.22.164 sukta 31

Thus KRISHNA is the only Infallible Cowherd boy in Hinduism, Who comes again and again to save the earth in His various avatars." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

"The Christian apologist Justin Martyr wrote:

Wherefore also the evil demons in mimicry have handed down that the same thing should be done in the Mysteries of Mithras. For that bread and a cup of water are in these mysteries set before the initiate with certain speeches you either know or can learn.[200]

The Christian apologist Tertullian wrote that as a prelude to the Mithraic initiation ceremony, the initiate was given a ritual bath and at the end of the ceremony, received a mark on the forehead. Tertullian described these rites as a diabolical counterfeit of the baptism and chrismation of Christians.[201]

Marvin Meyer argues that "early Christianity ... in general, resembles Mithraism in a number of respects – enough to make Christian apologists scramble to invent creative theological explanations to account for the similarities."[202]

Hopfe holds that the Christian sources for this rival religion are extremely negative because they regarded it as a diabolical imitation of their own religion.[203][204]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithras

Mahatma Gandhi
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 02:56:54 AM »

I give you one.. Pick and Choose and oficialize doctrines and dogmas and deem "erroneous" teachings.. From my small knowledge this is unique to Christianity..
No, that was done in:

Hinduism (post-Upanishads)
Buddhism
Taoism
Judaism
Atenism
Roman Civil Religion
Chinese Civil Religon

I could go on and on.

Wikipedia

Azul, you forgot to quote this part from wiki:

Tryggve Mettinger argues that there is a scholarly consensus that the category is inappropriate.[20] The chief criticism charges it with reductionism, insofar as it subsumes a range of disparate myths under a single category and ignores important distinctions. Marcel Detienne argues that it risks making Christianity the standard by which all religion is judged, since death and resurrection are more central to Christianity than many other faiths.[21]

Jonathan Z. Smith, a scholar of comparative religions, writes the category is "largely a misnomer based on imaginative reconstructions and exceedingly late or highly ambiguous texts."[22] Dag Øistein Endsjø, another scholar of religion, points out how a number of those often defined as dying-and-rising-deities, like Jesus and a number of figures in ancient Greek religion, actually died as ordinary mortals, only to become gods of various stature after they were resurrected from the dead. Not dying as gods, they thus defy the definition of “dying-and-rising-gods”.[23]

Beginning with an overview of the Athenian ritual of growing and withering herb gardens at the Adonia festival, Detienne suggests that rather than being a stand-in for crops in general (and therefore the cycle of death and rebirth), these herbs (and Adonis) were part of a complex of associations in the Greek mind that centered on spices. These associations included seduction, trickery, gourmandise, and the anxieties of childbirth. From his point of view, Adonis's death is only one datum among the many that must be used to analyze the festival, the myth, and the god.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »

How is Christianity unique in your eyes?
Every religion is unique.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »

FWIW why would the Hebrews make up a messiah and claim that he is their God? For what purpose? TO martyr themselves on a lie?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »

@Azul Can you provide better references than Wikipedia?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:17:48 AM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »

Severian, kingdavid8.com is a great resource for this kind of stuff. Tektonics is good too.

Both I believe are Protestant but on that kingdavid site, he offered I think a $1000 dollars if someone could prove Jesus was either a myth or stolen from other myths. It had yet to be claimed.

In any case, I do like the foreshadowing aspect if the theory of the rising gods is at all valid.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »

Severian, kingdavid8.com is a great resource for this kind of stuff. Tektonics is good too.

Both I believe are Protestant but on that kingdavid site, he offered I think a $1000 dollars if someone could prove Jesus was either a myth or stolen from other myths. It had yet to be claimed.

In any case, I do like the foreshadowing aspect if the theory of the rising gods is at all valid.
Thanks.

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

the point is there are different stories in different mythologies of the same gods.. also there was a thing in the roman empire about saturnalia and stuff like that.

Mahatma Gandhi
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »

The only religion where the main figure did not just preach a path to God but was God in the flesh.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »

I don't being unique is the thing. Being correct is the thing.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

the point is there are different stories in different mythologies of the same gods.. also there was a thing in the roman empire about saturnalia and stuff like that.
No there isn't.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

There are many different theories regarding many things. I don't understand how this undermines Christianity at all. Do you not understand how monotheism works, Azul? The existence of other, parallel beliefs does not negate the truth at all. At best, it provides us with a springboard for evangelism of those groups who obviously have some idea of God, but do not know Him. They do not replace or threaten Christianity but in those who are susceptible to being 'argued out' of Christianity (i.e., are lacking in faith).

Azul
Moderated
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

what is the gospel that even angels want to look at as Paul said?

Mahatma Gandhi
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

kingdavid8.com

Best of the best.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: