OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snoop Dog renames himself Snoop Lion after a spiritual rebirth in Rasta / Snoop Dogg is now half-Orthodox & Snoop Lion  (Read 7973 times) Average Rating: 0
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »

So...Snoop Dog smoked weed. What else is new?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

Speaking of Marley, Snoop Lion also said that he considers himself a reincarnation of the late musician. Edmonds said that some Rasta theology bears the influence of Hinduism, in which reincarnation is a core belief.
Is reincarnation held by some Rastafari?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

Lyrics off of his first reggae song:

Then I walk and I talk to this one
Then I laugh and go to a better one
hey once you want to get the getty, getty,
and the problem will get real dretty, dretties

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo

La la la la la la la la la la, oh yeah

See them hypocrites they come again
in my discrete dirty lies they might know my friend
though, a story like that happened
and the one who spilled on him will have a problem

Hey, who feels it lose, and I suppose that they had me talk to stone,
hoo, you'll reap what you sow but it the one well that you are bound to drop off

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

im not lovin his work wev his name is

Welcome Back Poppy!  Congrats on your marriage! Smiley

*Apologies for thread hijack*

Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?
"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
Tom Petty & Friends - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Im saying this as his biggest fan.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

All I'm saying is that Prince is not a HAS BEEN. 

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

You've been warned. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

Amen! THIRTY FOUR studio albums a has been? Hardly! Here in LA we still love and support Prince, and he has had a lot of success still.  Is the brother Purple Rain big anymore? Hardly, but that is only because I don't think he wants to be.

As to crying, careful there, Prince might just want to have some words with y'all over those insinuations

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »

Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?
"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You've been warned. Wink
No I'm not saying he's a has been at all. Prince is trying too hard to be like Prince and has become nothing more than a caricature of his former self. He's no longer the innovative trailblazer that he used to be. He's still a genius, but it's unfourtante we only see glimpses of it from time to time.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

I said, 'Good day," sir!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »

Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..

Snoop Lion heard all that head you've been talking about our main man bro Prince..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Pic don't work dogg.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Pic don't work dogg.

It was working when I looked at it..

try this one

stay blessed,

habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:10:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

I'm not hating at all, I'm just pointing out the greatest pop musician of the 20th century is a shell of his former self.

Dude Sign O The Times is my #1 favorite album ever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

I used to have a crush on that chick from the Prince "7" video. And. That's about all I got. K bye.  Cool

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

Reminds me of Busta Rhymes being interviewed about his being a member of "Five Percent" Nation of Islam.  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjHRXeM8g4
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

What songs from Snoop Lion do you guys like?

I Like Snoop Lion "La La La"

He has a new album for this phase and calls it Reincarnated.  At least one of them is on Youtube, and it's called "Breathe it in".

But the melody doesn't seem as good to me as the "Snoop Lion La La La".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:10:42 AM by rakovsky » Logged
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »

Third eye?  Reincarnated?  Really?

Isn't changing your stage name bad for business?

Please do not denigrate the musical genius who is Prince by comparing the artist originally born as Calvin Broadus to him.

Prince is and always will be Prince. Tongue

But I thought we weren't suppose to put our faith into princes of men?
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »

im not lovin his work wev his name is

Welcome back to the forum.

hey!
poppy!
i missed u so much!
congrats on yr wedding and God bless u
 Smiley
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »

I liked Snoop Dogg's flow on the track "B*&^$ Please II". He sounded so effortless, fun and smooth. His lyrical prowess may not be very great, but he does have one of the greatest flows in hip-hip history.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

Warning: this video contains very STRONG profanity

While I don't agree with my brother's use of profanity to make his point, I nevertheless love how he calls out "Snoop Lion" in this one. Strong fiyah from my friend and brother King Lo the Rastar, straight from Compton, CA:

"Dogg Catcha"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FUgC0uTN1Y&feature=player_embedded

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »

I really do miss the days of 213. Nate Dogg was amazing but is now dead, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre sold out and Warren G seems to be the only one who has stayed real. But he is so old now and lazy when he performs.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.

maybe i should get high on some sort of drug and then watch this video again...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »

Rappers making up rhymes on the fly while in a brain scanner have provided an insight into the creative process.

Freestyle rapping — in which a performer improvises a song by stringing together unrehearsed lyrics — is a highly prized skill in hip hop. But instead of watching a performance in a club, Siyuan Liu and Allen Braun, neuroscientists at the US National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders in Bethesda, Maryland, and their colleagues had 12 rappers freestyle in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine.
“We think what we see is a relaxation of ‘executive functions’ to allow more natural de-focused attention and uncensored processes to occur that might be the hallmark of creativity,” says Braun.

He adds that this suggestion is “a little bit controversial in the literature”, because some studies have found activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in creative behaviour. He suggests that the discrepancy might have to do with the tasks chosen to represent creativity. In studies that found activation, the activities — such as those that require recall — may actually be less creative.

“We try to stick with more natural creative processing, and when we do that we see this decrease in the dorsal lateral regions,” says Braun.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

Bob Marley is shaking his head.

Thank you.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

$rebirf?hegotenufkidz

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:36 AM »

Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!

From direct experience, tis is a known fact Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

Lookin' good there, Habte. Wink

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.."  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:21:24 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Serious tings, believe InI.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses

"I heard a voice, he said that I would understand
One king one faith one religion
And if you love me come and join the revolution"

Is he referring to Selassie?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:48:25 PM by Nephi » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »

Vice: Snoop Lion: REINCARNATED (Full Album Preview)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:08:55 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »

Snoop Dogg crashed a Hindu wedding at the Hard Rock Hotel in Downtown Chicago over the Labor Day weekend, Allusion Photography told FOX 32 News.
Snoop had such a good time, he even Instagrammed a photo of him and the happy couple, Joseph Scheller and Neesha Ghadiali.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

Old, "Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing."

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »

I'm disappointed that he hasn't consistently maintained his Snoop Lion persona. I thought it was hilarious.

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »

"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.

One can also say that money has no bearing on talent or genius, the Rolling Stones were playing Soldiers Field one year, and after the show they went to the little blues bar where the man who wrote the song called "Like a rolling stone", which is where they got the name from , was playing. Muddy Waters proceeded to show them why he was and is a legend, it is a video that has been shown many times on MTV, so money or what our society places importance on, really means little in reality. Ask Van Gogh, who died poor without ever selling any paintings if money is what it is all about.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »

Speaking of Marley, Snoop Lion also said that he considers himself a reincarnation of the late musician. Edmonds said that some Rasta theology bears the influence of Hinduism, in which reincarnation is a core belief.

Reincarnation is a Hindu belief. Rastafari is Reggae nationality
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »

Reincarnation is a Hindu belief.
True, and the practice  of some Hindu renunciates of consuming ganja may have influenced the Rastafari practice. There was a level of Asian Indian and Afro-Caribbean interaction in the Caribbean.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: Rasta 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: