Author Topic: Snoop Dog renames himself Snoop Lion after a spiritual rebirth in Rasta / Snoop Dogg is now half-Orthodox & Snoop Lion  (Read 11161 times)

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
So...Snoop Dog smoked weed. What else is new?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Speaking of Marley, Snoop Lion also said that he considers himself a reincarnation of the late musician. Edmonds said that some Rasta theology bears the influence of Hinduism, in which reincarnation is a core belief.
Is reincarnation held by some Rastafari?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Lyrics off of his first reggae song:

Then I walk and I talk to this one
Then I laugh and go to a better one
hey once you want to get the getty, getty,
and the problem will get real dretty, dretties

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo

La la la la la la la la la la, oh yeah

See them hypocrites they come again
in my discrete dirty lies they might know my friend
though, a story like that happened
and the one who spilled on him will have a problem

Hey, who feels it lose, and I suppose that they had me talk to stone,
hoo, you'll reap what you sow but it the one well that you are bound to drop off

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Snoop Dog renames himself Snoop Lion after a spiritual rebirth in Rasta
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
im not lovin his work wev his name is

Welcome Back Poppy!  Congrats on your marriage! :)

*Apologies for thread hijack*

Deborah
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?
"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
Tom Petty & Friends - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Im saying this as his biggest fan.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

All I'm saying is that Prince is not a HAS BEEN. 

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

You've been warned. ;)
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

Amen! THIRTY FOUR studio albums a has been? Hardly! Here in LA we still love and support Prince, and he has had a lot of success still.  Is the brother Purple Rain big anymore? Hardly, but that is only because I don't think he wants to be.

As to crying, careful there, Prince might just want to have some words with y'all over those insinuations

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?
"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You've been warned. ;)
No I'm not saying he's a has been at all. Prince is trying too hard to be like Prince and has become nothing more than a caricature of his former self. He's no longer the innovative trailblazer that he used to be. He's still a genius, but it's unfourtante we only see glimpses of it from time to time.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
I said, 'Good day," sir!
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..

Snoop Lion heard all that head you've been talking about our main man bro Prince..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Pic don't work dogg.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Pic don't work dogg.

It was working when I looked at it..

try this one

stay blessed,

habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:10:35 PM by HabteSelassie »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
I'm not hating at all, I'm just pointing out the greatest pop musician of the 20th century is a shell of his former self.

Dude Sign O The Times is my #1 favorite album ever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
I used to have a crush on that chick from the Prince "7" video. And. That's about all I got. K bye.  8)

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Reminds me of Busta Rhymes being interviewed about his being a member of "Five Percent" Nation of Islam.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjHRXeM8g4

Online rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
What songs from Snoop Lion do you guys like?

I Like Snoop Lion "La La La"

He has a new album for this phase and calls it Reincarnated.  At least one of them is on Youtube, and it's called "Breathe it in".

But the melody doesn't seem as good to me as the "Snoop Lion La La La".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:10:42 AM by rakovsky »

Offline BoredMeeting

• Loving the Life of a Council Member
  • High Elder
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
Third eye?  Reincarnated?  Really?

Isn't changing your stage name bad for business?

Please do not denigrate the musical genius who is Prince by comparing the artist originally born as Calvin Broadus to him.

Prince is and always will be Prince. :P

But I thought we weren't suppose to put our faith into princes of men?

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
im not lovin his work wev his name is

Welcome back to the forum.

hey!
poppy!
i missed u so much!
congrats on yr wedding and God bless u
 :)

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
I liked Snoop Dogg's flow on the track "B*&^$ Please II". He sounded so effortless, fun and smooth. His lyrical prowess may not be very great, but he does have one of the greatest flows in hip-hip history.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Warning: this video contains very STRONG profanity

While I don't agree with my brother's use of profanity to make his point, I nevertheless love how he calls out "Snoop Lion" in this one. Strong fiyah from my friend and brother King Lo the Rastar, straight from Compton, CA:

"Dogg Catcha"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FUgC0uTN1Y&feature=player_embedded

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
I really do miss the days of 213. Nate Dogg was amazing but is now dead, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre sold out and Warren G seems to be the only one who has stayed real. But he is so old now and lazy when he performs.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.

maybe i should get high on some sort of drug and then watch this video again...
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Rappers making up rhymes on the fly while in a brain scanner have provided an insight into the creative process.

Freestyle rapping — in which a performer improvises a song by stringing together unrehearsed lyrics — is a highly prized skill in hip hop. But instead of watching a performance in a club, Siyuan Liu and Allen Braun, neuroscientists at the US National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders in Bethesda, Maryland, and their colleagues had 12 rappers freestyle in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine.
“We think what we see is a relaxation of ‘executive functions’ to allow more natural de-focused attention and uncensored processes to occur that might be the hallmark of creativity,” says Braun.

He adds that this suggestion is “a little bit controversial in the literature”, because some studies have found activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in creative behaviour. He suggests that the discrepancy might have to do with the tasks chosen to represent creativity. In studies that found activation, the activities — such as those that require recall — may actually be less creative.

“We try to stick with more natural creative processing, and when we do that we see this decrease in the dorsal lateral regions,” says Braun.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
Bob Marley is shaking his head.
Thank you.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
$rebirf?hegotenufkidz
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon

Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!

From direct experience, tis is a known fact ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
Lookin' good there, Habte. ;)

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.."  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:21:24 PM by HabteSelassie »

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Serious tings, believe InI.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses

"I heard a voice, he said that I would understand
One king one faith one religion
And if you love me come and join the revolution"

Is he referring to Selassie?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:48:25 PM by Nephi »

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:08:55 AM by Orthodox11 »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Snoop Dogg crashed a Hindu wedding at the Hard Rock Hotel in Downtown Chicago over the Labor Day weekend, Allusion Photography told FOX 32 News.
Snoop had such a good time, he even Instagrammed a photo of him and the happy couple, Joseph Scheller and Neesha Ghadiali.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
  • What does everyone look like?
  • Faith: More Neronov than Avvakum
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite Chapelist
I'm disappointed that he hasn't consistently maintained his Snoop Lion persona. I thought it was hilarious.
Quote from: The Life of Ivan Neronov
[Ecclesiastics] conspired against him because they hated his teaching for its zealous emphasis on proper Christian conduct: with great courage he denounced all whom he saw behaving in an ungodly fashion... [As such] he was deprived of his priestly rank, bound in iron chains, and broken down in jails.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.

One can also say that money has no bearing on talent or genius, the Rolling Stones were playing Soldiers Field one year, and after the show they went to the little blues bar where the man who wrote the song called "Like a rolling stone", which is where they got the name from , was playing. Muddy Waters proceeded to show them why he was and is a legend, it is a video that has been shown many times on MTV, so money or what our society places importance on, really means little in reality. Ask Van Gogh, who died poor without ever selling any paintings if money is what it is all about.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
Speaking of Marley, Snoop Lion also said that he considers himself a reincarnation of the late musician. Edmonds said that some Rasta theology bears the influence of Hinduism, in which reincarnation is a core belief.

Reincarnation is a Hindu belief. Rastafari is Reggae nationality

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology

Reincarnation is a Hindu belief.
True, and the practice  of some Hindu renunciates of consuming ganja may have influenced the Rastafari practice. There was a level of Asian Indian and Afro-Caribbean interaction in the Caribbean.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.