OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:36:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snoop Dog renames himself Snoop Lion after a spiritual rebirth in Rasta / Snoop Dogg is now half-Orthodox & Snoop Lion  (Read 7023 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 31, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »

"SNOOP Dogg has officially dropped the Dogg act and upgraded his name to "Snoop Lion".

The rapper says he underwent a spiritual and artistic rebirth while in Jamaica where he was given the new moniker by Rastafarian priests.

“I have always said I was Bob Marley reincarnated. I feel I have always been a Rastafari. I just didn’t have my third eye open, but its wide open right now.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/snoop-no-longer-a-dogg-now-a-lion/story-e6frfn09-1226439599529#ixzz22DDvhPjA
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »

Um... wut?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »

Um... wut?

My thoughts exactly...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »

Third eye?  Reincarnated?  Really?

Isn't changing your stage name bad for business?

Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »

Yo I used to be the D O Double-G
Then I had a spiritual experience ya see
Now I'm the L I O and N
I'm your ally and I'm ownin it

Frasizzle!
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

Rastas, third eye ?  Huh

+ next step, Tewahedo ?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:08:15 AM by WeldeMikael » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »

One of Snoops new reggea tracks. I'm loving the riddim but not sure about Snoop himself.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:13:01 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"SNOOP Dogg has officially dropped the Dogg act and upgraded his name to "Snoop Lion".

The rapper says he underwent a spiritual and artistic rebirth while in Jamaica where he was given the new moniker by Rastafarian priests.

“I have always said I was Bob Marley reincarnated. I feel I have always been a Rastafari. I just didn’t have my third eye open, but its wide open right now.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/snoop-no-longer-a-dogg-now-a-lion/story-e6frfn09-1226439599529#ixzz22DDvhPjA

Highlarious..  The only "Rastafari priests" are in the Bobo Shanti Black National Congress.  I don't run with that mansion, those folks are a bit too heartical, but sometimes one or two wonders into the Church after having visited the local Ethiopian World Federation.  Those are the folks who wear the turbans and robes, often colorful.  Well, maximum raspect to Snoop Lion, but this reincarnation of Bob Marley and self-proclaimed Rastafari business are overtly silly.  Hopefully the brother continues on his inner journey, in regards to Rastafari for many thousands the Emperor inevitably points to the Church Wink

Rastas, third eye ?  Huh

Its been known to happen..

At least we know Snoop was hangin out with legit Rastafari, because he didn't use the phrase Rastafarian, but used "Rastafari" which is the preferred nomenclature.  Generally speaking, I don't condone such blatant exploitation of Rastafari culture and imagery as is quite common in the music industry, but I like Snoop as a local artist from Long Beach where I also play music, so I will give this silly brother the benefit of the doubt, though the whole thing stinks, even if the brother is half-baked trying to be sincere.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:33:06 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=747325&affid=100055

I. Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Snoop Lion w/ guest JAH Rule.

Is the ganja really that good in Jamaica to change your name and music? Might have to take a trip to Zion.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:12 AM »

It's a difficult trod. I would prefer that he not advertise and market his "transformation" in this way. Better to take the time to remove from Babylon and learn what this path is really all about. Then in time, perhaps he could reveal his change to the world and help lead others down the spiritual path. But already, there's too much "mix up mix up" with Babylon. Dancehall nonsense, profanity, and the connotation that Rasta is all about weed smoking and little else. So, I remain skeptical, but not judgmental. It seems to be a step in the right direction. Let us pray for him rather than ridicule him. Other artists such as Capleton have made the serious transformation from "slack" dancehall music to conscious Rasta livity. So, let's give it time and sight the fruits thereof.

Capleton bio and videos: http://www.youtube.com/artist/Capleton

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:56:14 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:25 AM »

It's a difficult trod. I would prefer that he not advertise and market his "transformation" in this way. Better to take the time to remove from Babylon and learn what this path is really all about. Then in time, perhaps he could reveal his change to the world and help lead others down the spiritual path. But already, there's too much "mix up mix up" with Babylon. Dancehall nonsense, profanity, and the connotation that Rasta is all about weed smoking and little else. So, I remain skeptical, but not judgmental. It seems to be a step in the right direction. Let us pray for him rather than ridicule him. Other artists such as Capleton have made the serious transformation from "slack" dancehall music to conscious Rasta livity. So, let's give it time and sight the fruits thereof.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

I think it's too late, maybe a lot of his fans will follow.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:57:14 AM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

I think it's too late, maybe a lot of his fans will follow.

It's never to late to repent as long as life exists.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:01 AM »

Roll Eyes
So. Dude's already got the documentary coming out and he's planning a coffee table book? Sounds pretty lame, narcissistic and pompous zealous.

God willing, he'll find Orthodoxy. And, I agree with GMK, it's never too late.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

this is what was on yahoo about it
 Snoop Dogg says he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in January, is changing his name to Snoop Lion and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to." and the link http://music.yahoo.com/news/snoop-dogg-becomes-snoop-lion-readies-reggae-cd-161013663.html
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »

Snoop's interview/Press Conference >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX7EqelDuQg [from 1:08:45 to 1:56:38]

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

Well, I guess it kind of worked for Prince, or formerly known as Prince.  What is he called today?

Please do not denigrate the musical genius who is Prince by comparing the artist originally born as Calvin Broadus to him.

Prince is and always will be Prince. Tongue

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »

Sad that snoop fell for a cult but most likely he's just out to make money from it
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »

Meh. I'm mildly pleased to see a popular African-American entertainer undergo a religious conversion to something other than Islam, but beyond that, what's one heresy in place of another... Roll Eyes

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Please do not denigrate the musical genius who is Prince by comparing the artist originally born as Calvin Broadus to him.

Prince is one bad mutha.. who else can rip through guitar solos that would make Carlos Santana and Jerry Garcia openly weep all while pivoting like James Brown but in high heels?! And the brotha has been a devout Christian for sometime to boot!!

As regards to Snoop, whether or not folks like the guy or his style of music, as an artist he did really bring revolutionary changes to rap music.  Before Snoop, a lot of rap was just talking or even yelling, however rappers like Snoop helped change the flow and cadence towards something more like singing.  That is the influence of that westcoast Soul music from the late-1970s which dominated LA area underground rap.   Snoop helped seriously change rap, there is not a person between the ages of 25-35 west of the Mississippi that doesn't remember where they were the first time they heard a track from the album Doggiestyle at a houseparty or on the radio.  Hopefully this can make the brother a bit more positive ala the Fugees

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »

Prince is a  Jehovah Witness.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:31:52 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »

Prince is a  Jehovah Witness.

I know, but some of those folks love Jesus too yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »

Rar rar rar yippie yo yippie yea lion lions in da house yo

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »

Prince is a  Jehovah Witness.

I know, but some of those folks love Jesus too yo Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
But you consider JW's Christians?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:47:30 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »

Rar rar rar yippie yo yippie yea lion lions in da house yo

LOL dead on impression.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

This guy is just desperate for attention because his career is practically over seeing that the 1990s Deathrow era of West Coast rap ended after Tupac died and Deathrow went bankrupt.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »

This guy is just desperate for attention because his career is practically over seeing that the 1990s Deathrow era of West Coast rap ended after Tupac died and Deathrow went bankrupt.
One of my favorite things from Snoop was his feud with Bill O'Reilly.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:05 AM »

Prince is a  Jehovah Witness.
Thanks to Larry Graham.

JW's are not Christians.  They are arians who believe Jesus is the incarnation of Archangel Michael. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:44:12 AM by Agia Marina » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:20 AM »

One of Snoops new reggea tracks. I'm loving the riddim but not sure about Snoop himself.
This is by far the worst thing he has ever produced.

Unbelievable.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 04:49:07 AM »

Highlarious..  The only "Rastafari priests" are in the Bobo Shanti Black National Congress.  I don't run with that mansion, those folks are a bit too heartical, but sometimes one or two wonders into the Church after having visited the local Ethiopian World Federation.  Those are the folks who wear the turbans and robes, often colorful.  Well, maximum raspect to Snoop Lion, but this reincarnation of Bob Marley and self-proclaimed Rastafari business are overtly silly.  Hopefully the brother continues on his inner journey, in regards to Rastafari for many thousands the Emperor inevitably points to the Church Wink

Rastas, third eye ?  Huh

Its been known to happen..

At least we know Snoop was hangin out with legit Rastafari, because he didn't use the phrase Rastafarian, but used "Rastafari" which is the preferred nomenclature.  Generally speaking, I don't condone such blatant exploitation of Rastafari culture and imagery as is quite common in the music industry, but I like Snoop as a local artist from Long Beach where I also play music, so I will give this silly brother the benefit of the doubt, though the whole thing stinks, even if the brother is half-baked trying to be sincere.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I share the sentiments bredda. I don't want to judge his heart, but I don't like the whole vibe. Too much "mix up mix up" with Babylon. Dancehall slackness, profanity, etc. If he wants to sight up, then he should take the time to learn what this trod is really all about instead of marketing his "transformation" and portraying an skewed image of Rastafari. But I hope he's sincere, and it seems that at least some righteous seeds have been planted. Let's pray for him and hope that he has indeed taken one true step towards Christ and His Church.

Selam

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »

Just wondering, but please, what exactly is a "Rastafarian priest"?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 06:00:24 AM »

Really there is not such a thing. Rastafari is not an organized religion. Rastas do have geat raspect for the elders that have much wisdom gained from life experience. But there is no "Priesthood." Perhaps the Bobo Shanti's may have a type of priesthood, brother Habte might be able to address that. But the large majority of Rastas don't acknowledge any Rastafarian priesthood. Of course, unfortunately there is still the ignorant and uninformed association of Ethiopian Priests as Rastafarian priests.

Selam

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 06:01:46 AM »

Rastafarian priest is a leader, teacher/ weed dealer  laugh of the cult that is a bottom feeder of the OO church that they haven't cleaned up yet
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

Rastafarian priest is a leader, teacher/ weed dealer  laugh of the cult that is a bottom feeder of the OO church that they haven't cleaned up yet

Wow. Hateful and ignorant is all I can say.

Selam

jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »

Wow. Hateful and ignorant is all I can say.

Selam
How so? where did I not tell the truth at ?
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »

"Has been".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »

im not lovin his work wev his name is
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »

Welcome back to the forum.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

Marketing come-back.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »

Snoop was renamed Snoop Lion and was also given the Ethiopian name Berhane, meaning “light of the world.”

Read more: http://straightfromthea.com/2012/07/31/snoop-dogg-name-change-lion/#ixzz22OtU0VhV

Back in 1993, an argument started in front of Snoop's new home in Woodbine Park, L.A., between Snoop Dogg, two associates, and Philip Woldemariam, a 20-year-old Ethiopian immigrant who had just been released from a year in jail. Woldemariam was allegedly pursued into a nearby park and shot from a vehicle by McKinley Lee, Snoop's bodyguard. Lee claimed self-defense, but it was widely reported that the victim's fatal wound was in his back. Snoop, who was on $10,000 bail for a gun possession charge at the time of the incident, handed himself in to police after appearing at a September 2nd MTV awards show in L.A.--his bail was set at $1 million.

Is there some connection between the two stories?

Snoop Dogg is a Rasta now, so what exactly is Rastafari?

"It's an Afrocentric faith that... focuses on the return to Africa of its members," says Richard Salter, a religious studies scholar from Hobart and William Smith Colleges in New York who studies the movement. "Sometimes that return is a return in body, actually going back to Ethiopia, and sometimes it's more of a spiritual return."

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/02/snopp-dogg-is-a-rasta-now-what-is-that-anyway/

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »

FWIT, I never gave Snoop any thought. One time we were in the audience at the Late Show with David Letterman and he was the musical guest. I was dreading the moment, but to my surprise the man came across in his performance as being a highly perceptive and intelligent artist. So, I would give him the benefit of the doubt at this point in time regarding his spiritual journey.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »

"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
Tom Petty & Friends - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »

"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.
I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Im saying this as his biggest fan.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

"Has been".

I appreciate the sentiment, but Prince is a caricature of his former self. 3121 may have been his last good album but nowhere near the heights of his 80s work.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »

"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:02:08 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
WPM
Archon

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »

heh, ok . . good for him
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »

So...Snoop Dog smoked weed. What else is new?
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

Speaking of Marley, Snoop Lion also said that he considers himself a reincarnation of the late musician. Edmonds said that some Rasta theology bears the influence of Hinduism, in which reincarnation is a core belief.
Is reincarnation held by some Rastafari?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

Lyrics off of his first reggae song:

Then I walk and I talk to this one
Then I laugh and go to a better one
hey once you want to get the getty, getty,
and the problem will get real dretty, dretties

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo

La la la la la la la la la la, oh yeah

See them hypocrites they come again
in my discrete dirty lies they might know my friend
though, a story like that happened
and the one who spilled on him will have a problem

Hey, who feels it lose, and I suppose that they had me talk to stone,
hoo, you'll reap what you sow but it the one well that you are bound to drop off

Who feels it lost, and I suppose that you'll never know
ohh, you'll reap what you sow,
can't let that come when that peace won't fig row, nooo

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

Welcome Back Poppy!  Congrats on your marriage! Smiley

*Apologies for thread hijack*

Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

"Has been".

Hardly.  He was voted one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine in 2010.  His Welcome 2 tour that year made over $20 million, making it 39th in the top 50 worldwide tour chart.

And, lest we forget, he can wail on a guitar like no one else.  Almost everyone forgets that he's an incredible guitar player.

Just because his work isn't as good as it once was doesn't mean he's a has been, that's all I'm saying.  Has beens don't make $20 million touring.
Thanks to the nostalgia base of course. Once he emancipated himself from WB, he was only making music for himself and dwindled his audience down to the hardcore until Musicology came out which surged him back to the masses, and perfect timing too because folks were getting nostalgic.

Becoming a JW has made him impotent with his music. Which is ironic because of how much his music was drenched in sex when he first started his career., but now he censors his own music.

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

All I'm saying is that Prince is not a HAS BEEN. 

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

You've been warned. Wink

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Period.

You will cease from arguing with me now because any further argument will upset Prince because he knows that people are talking about him and you'll just make him cry and I can't have that.

Amen! THIRTY FOUR studio albums a has been? Hardly! Here in LA we still love and support Prince, and he has had a lot of success still.  Is the brother Purple Rain big anymore? Hardly, but that is only because I don't think he wants to be.

As to crying, careful there, Prince might just want to have some words with y'all over those insinuations

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »

"Has been".

You won't get an argument from me that him being a JW has caused his music to suffer.

Axl Rose is a has been.  Prince is not.

Period.

You've been warned. Wink
No I'm not saying he's a has been at all. Prince is trying too hard to be like Prince and has become nothing more than a caricature of his former self. He's no longer the innovative trailblazer that he used to be. He's still a genius, but it's unfourtante we only see glimpses of it from time to time.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

I said, 'Good day," sir!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »

Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »

Prince ordering a cease and desist letter to OC.Net from Paisley Park, because he's an internet nerd and google searches himself 500 times a day, in 3..2..1..

Snoop Lion heard all that head you've been talking about our main man bro Prince..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Pic don't work dogg.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »

Pic don't work dogg.

It was working when I looked at it..

try this one

stay blessed,

habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:10:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

I'm not hating at all, I'm just pointing out the greatest pop musician of the 20th century is a shell of his former self.

Dude Sign O The Times is my #1 favorite album ever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

I used to have a crush on that chick from the Prince "7" video. And. That's about all I got. K bye.  Cool
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

Reminds me of Busta Rhymes being interviewed about his being a member of "Five Percent" Nation of Islam.  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjHRXeM8g4

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

What songs from Snoop Lion do you guys like?

I Like Snoop Lion "La La La"

He has a new album for this phase and calls it Reincarnated.  At least one of them is on Youtube, and it's called "Breathe it in".

But the melody doesn't seem as good to me as the "Snoop Lion La La La".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:10:42 AM by rakovsky » Logged
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »

But I thought we weren't suppose to put our faith into princes of men?
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »

Welcome back to the forum.

hey!
poppy!
i missed u so much!
congrats on yr wedding and God bless u
 Smiley
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »

I liked Snoop Dogg's flow on the track "B*&^$ Please II". He sounded so effortless, fun and smooth. His lyrical prowess may not be very great, but he does have one of the greatest flows in hip-hip history.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 02:22:24 AM »

Warning: this video contains very STRONG profanity

While I don't agree with my brother's use of profanity to make his point, I nevertheless love how he calls out "Snoop Lion" in this one. Strong fiyah from my friend and brother King Lo the Rastar, straight from Compton, CA:

"Dogg Catcha"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FUgC0uTN1Y&feature=player_embedded

Selam

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »

I really do miss the days of 213. Nate Dogg was amazing but is now dead, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre sold out and Warren G seems to be the only one who has stayed real. But he is so old now and lazy when he performs.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

Snoop Dog RIP.

Snoop Lion is Born.

maybe i should get high on some sort of drug and then watch this video again...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »

Rappers making up rhymes on the fly while in a brain scanner have provided an insight into the creative process.

Freestyle rapping — in which a performer improvises a song by stringing together unrehearsed lyrics — is a highly prized skill in hip hop. But instead of watching a performance in a club, Siyuan Liu and Allen Braun, neuroscientists at the US National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders in Bethesda, Maryland, and their colleagues had 12 rappers freestyle in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine.
“We think what we see is a relaxation of ‘executive functions’ to allow more natural de-focused attention and uncensored processes to occur that might be the hallmark of creativity,” says Braun.

He adds that this suggestion is “a little bit controversial in the literature”, because some studies have found activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in creative behaviour. He suggests that the discrepancy might have to do with the tasks chosen to represent creativity. In studies that found activation, the activities — such as those that require recall — may actually be less creative.

“We try to stick with more natural creative processing, and when we do that we see this decrease in the dorsal lateral regions,” says Braun.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

Bob Marley is shaking his head.

Thank you.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

$rebirf?hegotenufkidz

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 03:10:36 AM »

Yes, the shaking of the locks of hair is thought to unleash spiritual power needed to bring down Babylon!

From direct experience, tis is a known fact Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

Lookin' good there, Habte. Wink

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.."  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:21:24 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »

The picture was of the great elder Mortimo Planno, who once said about Bob, "He hadn't developed have the locks him could beat the world with, it was  only growing, and them couldn't take the lick of that whip, the locks whip.." 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Serious tings, believe InI.

Selam

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »

'Here Comes The King' Video: Snoop Lion Dances, Wears Snazzy Glasses

"I heard a voice, he said that I would understand
One king one faith one religion
And if you love me come and join the revolution"

Is he referring to Selassie?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:48:25 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »

Vice: Snoop Lion: REINCARNATED (Full Album Preview)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:08:55 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Tags: Rasta 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: