OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hellbound  (Read 631 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Orthodox

« on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:25 AM »

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/hellbound/

Synopsis

Does hell exist? If so, who ends up there, and why? Featuring an eclectic group of authors, theologians, pastors, social commentators and musicians, HELLBOUND? is a provocative, feature-length documentary that looks at why we are so bound to the idea of hell and how our beliefs about hell affect the world we are creating today.

Looks interesting, though I doubt the Orthodox view of hell brought up... Sad
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/hellbound/

Synopsis

Does hell exist? If so, who ends up there, and why? Featuring an eclectic group of authors, theologians, pastors, social commentators and musicians, HELLBOUND? is a provocative, feature-length documentary that looks at why we are so bound to the idea of hell and how our beliefs about hell affect the world we are creating today.

Looks interesting, though I doubt the Orthodox view of hell brought up... Sad

I find the juxtaposition of hell and apple hilarious and accurate.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »

I'm probably going to go to Hell. I don't think God likes a wisecrack.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:22 PM »

Featuring an eclectic group of authors, theologians, pastors, social commentators and musicians...

Yikes! Undecided

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

Featuring an eclectic group of authors, theologians, pastors, social commentators and musicians
Translation, "featuring a group of idiots that cant get an ear for their rantings anywhere else because they are either a joke, or completely unqualified."

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

Featuring an eclectic group of authors, theologians, pastors, social commentators and musicians
Translation, "featuring a group of idiots that cant get an ear for their rantings anywhere else because they are either a joke, or completely unqualified."

PP

+1

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:42:29 AM »

Interview with the filmmaker behind Hellbound?:

Hellbound? opens and closes with scenes from 9/11—why did you choose this event as the framing context for your film?

When we're talking about hell, what we're really talking about is justice. Everyone recognizes that we live in a world full of evil, pain, and suffering, made worse by the fact that we are powerless to undo much of the destruction we cause. We can repair damaged property, but we can't bring people back to life. And even though we can soothe psychological and emotional wounds caused by traumatic events, we can't ever bring people to full healing. So it's only natural to cry out for supernatural intervention. If we can't make things right, maybe God can. And if God is good, he has to make things right. But what does that look like? How is God's justice like our justice? How is it different?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 07:44:42 AM »

PP

Who is in it?  Smiley

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 07:57:38 AM »

PP

Who is in it?  Smiley
Archbishop Lazar Puhalo – Canadian Orthodox Monastery

Brian McLaren – Author, The Last Word and the Word After That

Frank Schaeffer – Author, Crazy for God

Hank Hanegraaff – Radio Host, “The Bible Answer Man”

Mark Driscoll – Pastor, Mars Hill Church

Peter Kreeft – Catholic Apologist

William Paul Young – Author, The Shack

...and many others
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:58:13 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:19 AM »

PP

Who is in it?  Smiley
Archbishop Lazar Puhalo – Canadian Orthodox Monastery

Frank Schaeffer – Author, Crazy for God

Are you serious?  Shocked

I'll be skipping that one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:46:26 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

Archbishop Lazar is perfect for this movie.

I disagree with a lot of what he says, especially the lack of tact he often displays regarding "outing" gay clergy, and his volatile e-temper.

But he is really perfect to represent the EO view of Hell in soundbites. If you all have ever listened to his talks on the subject, I think you'll agree.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:06:47 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »

Archbishop Lazar speaks with Kevin Miller, on the Orthodox view of hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPKo0IC54M&feature=relmfu

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: