OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:44:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you consider yourself to be righteous?
I am among the righteous - 5 (15.2%)
I am somewhere in between - 3 (9.1%)
I am not among the righteous - 25 (75.8%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you righteous? Yes or no...  (Read 2960 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »

I'd say I have all of my other vices under control and gradually improving
Really?

Confidently. On the road to recovery. I just cannot change the fact that I'm a hormonal teenage boy.
How many vices do you have that you can control all but one?

4. Laziness, Anger, Gluttony and finally Lust. The former three I am working on and making progress, but the latter one I only grow worse and worse with.
How about pride, the most insidious of all vices? Even at 2 1/2 times your age, I still struggle with this vice, and I certainly can't say that I've gained any control over it. If you can say in all honesty that you've gained any mastery over this vice of pride, you're much farther on the path of theosis than I am.

I might not have totally mastered it, but I have pride under control and I am getting a lot better at controlling it. You know what makes it easy for me? I have nothing to be proud about. In fact, in many cases I find myself ashamed of my life. That's the beauty of misery and coming from a screwed up family; you have no reason to be proud  Grin When I do indulge in pride, it is usually when I brag about my Orthodoxy and diss Protestantism, but, as some of you may have noticed, I have not been doing that as often, thanks to my friend Orthonorm's advice Smiley
Just the statement that you have pride under control and that you're getting a lot better at controlling it can be seen as an act of pride in and of itself. (Do you even know what pride is and of the many diverse ways it can manifest itself?) In short, you're boasting of your spiritual progress.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »

I'd say I have all of my other vices under control and gradually improving
Really?

Confidently. On the road to recovery. I just cannot change the fact that I'm a hormonal teenage boy.
How many vices do you have that you can control all but one?

4. Laziness, Anger, Gluttony and finally Lust. The former three I am working on and making progress, but the latter one I only grow worse and worse with.
How about pride, the most insidious of all vices? Even at 2 1/2 times your age, I still struggle with this vice, and I certainly can't say that I've gained any control over it. If you can say in all honesty that you've gained any mastery over this vice of pride, you're much farther on the path of theosis than I am.

I might not have totally mastered it, but I have pride under control and I am getting a lot better at controlling it. You know what makes it easy for me? I have nothing to be proud about. In fact, in many cases I find myself ashamed of my life. That's the beauty of misery and coming from a screwed up family; you have no reason to be proud  Grin When I do indulge in pride, it is usually when I brag about my Orthodoxy and diss Protestantism, but, as some of you may have noticed, I have not been doing that as often, thanks to my friend Orthonorm's advice Smiley
Just the statement that you have pride under control and that you're getting a lot better at controlling it can be seen as an act of pride in and of itself. (Do you even know what pride is and of the many diverse ways it can manifest itself?) In short, you're boasting of your spiritual progress.

Not having pride a paradox, because once you realize you don't have it, you have it.

Sins go very deep, and are very complex, and often very related. 

Anger for example, is often judgmental.  It is often prideful because one believes they are "good enough" to be angry.  It is often manipulative, because it often exists to change the behavior of people.  It is often wrathful, and can include violence or thoughts of violence.  It is deceitful, when people say things they don't mean.  It can be even in circles of theft, if it is to acquire or convince somebody of something they didn't want to sell, do, or whatever.  It can hurt others (do unto others).  It can outcast.  It can scorn.  It can swindle, boast, and blame in manipulation.... Murders are very often committed in anger....  Anger can even run into lust ("well I'll get back at him for his secretary....").   Anger can lead into bearing false witness of events to others.  Anger is vengeful.

Sins are deep.  Many

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »

The moment a Christian believes himself to be righteous is the moment he is not.  

100% False. You have to believe that you are among the righteous in order to even receive the Mysteries.

Holy things are for the holy. Yet only one is holy, and one is lord: Jesus Christ. We are allowed to commune because of God's grace, because we are in need of healing, not because we are already righteous.
^^   Cheesy

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »

I am righteouss.. I try to be.. I almoust always try to work for the good of the other and cannot constiently suffer unjustice to anyone on my expense.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: