OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Church Lost to Fire: Prayers Requested for Virginia Parish  (Read 405 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »

His Grace Bishop Thomas asks that we remember the community of St. Patrick Orthodox Church of Warrenton, VA  in our prayers. A fire burned down the new temple that was still in the process of being built by the congregation. Thanks be to God, no one was harmed. Local news has covered the story in the July 25 piece,  "Fire destroys future home of church near Bealton."...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »

Here is a link to the small news story if you are interested~~~http://fauquiernow.com/page.cfm/article/st-patrick-fire
I wonder if it was itentinally set, cause it looks like just a exterior wood strcture without electric?
Anyway good luck to then and hope the eventually are suessfull in building the Church~i will pray.

Almost forgot, i wnated to ask~~"St. patrick"----he is a celebrated orthodox saint???
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »

Here is a link to the small news story if you are interested~~~http://fauquiernow.com/page.cfm/article/st-patrick-fire
I wonder if it was itentinally set, cause it looks like just a exterior wood strcture without electric?
Anyway good luck to then and hope the eventually are suessfull in building the Church~i will pray.

Almost forgot, i wnated to ask~~"St. patrick"----he is a celebrated orthodox saint???
I've seen Icons of St. Patrick even on this forum and he lived and died well before the 11th century so I don't see why he wouldn't be a Saint in EOxy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »

Lord have mercy!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »

I've seen Icons of St. Patrick even on this forum and he lived and died well before the 11th century so I don't see why he wouldn't be a Saint in EOxy.

I never herd St. Patric celebrated in my church (Greek Orthodox). Unless his name in Greek is diffrent.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

I never herd St. Patric celebrated in my church (Greek Orthodox). Unless his name in Greek is diffrent.

As far as I am aware, the Greeks do not have him on the calendar.  However, I believe ROCOR has him on their calendar on the second of April.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

Yes, St. Patrick is definitely an EO saint, but he is mostly assoc. with Western churches since he was the missionary to Ireland.  IIRC, this particular parish was a WR parish so it seems rather appropriate to take St. Patrick as their patron.  There are many pre-schism saints from the British Isles.  (St. David, St. Brendan, St. Columba, St. Aiden, etc. etc. etc.)
http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zliturgics.htm

I think there are many saints are who more acknowledge or revered within certain jurisdictions and/or countries than in others.  Do many Serbians revere St. Nektarios? Or do the Greeks have many feast days for the new martyrs of Russia?  It happens. That doesn't mean they're not Orthodox.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: