OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why was. Fr. Florovsky fired??  (Read 1482 times) Average Rating: 0
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« on: July 28, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »

Came across the end statement on Fr. George Florovsky on wikipedia and wondered if anyone here knows why he was fired from St. Vladimir's as Dean. So? How bout it?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:26:25 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Fr. Anastasios answers that here  Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »

I don't like the use of the word "fired" in the title of this thread.  It implies poor Fr. Florovsky did something wrong or even heretical.  People can be "let go" or dismissed because of personality conflicts or ideological conflicts etc.  Fr. Florovsky at the time must have been very hurt and suffered painfully but he did go on to teach at a major American university and continued to research and publish.  He is remembered by the academic community as a great scholar.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »

I don't like the use of the word "fired" in the title of this thread.  It implies poor Fr. Florovsky did something wrong or even heretical.  People can be "let go" or dismissed because of personality conflicts or ideological conflicts etc.  Fr. Florovsky at the time must have been very hurt and suffered painfully but he did go on to teach at a major American university and continued to research and publish.  He is remembered by the academic community as a great scholar.

He was forced out of the deanship for a variety of administrative reasons (having nothing to do with theology) but was asked to remain a professor. He declined the offer and eventually received his post at Harvard.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

More importantly, why are they not republishing his works?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

Doing so is a massive undertaking, but a project is currently underway. In the mean time, T&T Clark will be publishing a Florovsky Reader, with a nice selection of pieces, and SVS will be publishing the proceedings of the first annual patristic symposium in honor of Fr Georges Florovsky, which will include several unpublished works by Fr Florovsky.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

Doing so is a massive undertaking, but a project is currently underway. In the mean time, T&T Clark will be publishing a Florovsky Reader, with a nice selection of pieces, and SVS will be publishing the proceedings of the first annual patristic symposium in honor of Fr Georges Florovsky, which will include several unpublished works by Fr Florovsky.

Hey, no excuses. Smiley We've got several publications of St. Augustine, and he was prolific. Sadly, we lost some of Chrysostom. Wouldn't want to be the one responsible for losing anything by him.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »

Who do you mean by "they"?  St. Vlaimidir's Seminary Press or the publishers who originally published various works of Fr. Florovsky?  Also he published in scholarly journals as well.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »

I don't like the use of the word "fired" in the title of this thread.  It implies poor Fr. Florovsky did something wrong or even heretical.
Saying he was fired implies no such thing.

People can be "let go" or dismissed because of personality conflicts or ideological conflicts etc.
In the secular professional world, if someone's job is terminated for performance, personality conflict, ideological differences, or other reasons not related to simple lack of work, that person was fired. It's really that simple and carries no connotations other than that.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

Who do you mean by "they"?  St. Vlaimidir's Seminary Press or the publishers who originally published various works of Fr. Florovsky?  Also he published in scholarly journals as well.

Whoever holds the copyright.

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »

"Terminated" would have been a better word, I think.  I have been in the working world since I was 15 years old, and I have never heard the term "fired" used without the connotation of wrongdoing.  Never.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »

"Terminated" would have been a better word, I think.  I have been in the working world since I was 15 years old, and I have never heard the term "fired" used without the connotation of wrongdoing.  Never.

Terminated is just politically correct terminology for fired.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:09:07 AM »

He went on to teach also at Holy Cross School of Theology in Brookline, Mass.

Did he hold an administrative post at HC too?

Was he terminated from that position too?  

Did Archbishop Iakovos have Fr. John Romanides terminated from Holy Cross?  

I think there was another internationally noted professor +Iakovos had terminated in the mid-'60's, but I can't think of his name.  

Does anyone know anything about these inquiries?  

I do recall that Fr. Georges passed from this life while within the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:12:57 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »

He went on to teach also at Holy Cross School of Theology in Brookline, Mass.

I do recall that Fr. Georges passed from this life while within the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

That I didn't know & I am very surprised.  So I guess there were hurt feelings involved on his side.
Tags: OCA theology 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: