OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The name "Jesus Christ" used pejoratively.  (Read 4177 times) Average Rating: 0
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »

How do you know he was called Yeshoua?

Is Christianity magic? That is, when you spoke the name or incantation sounding not quite the same as the original, will not the magic work, or will the magical deity get upset?

If someone would call you not, say "John", but "Janek", but meant you, wouldn't he be calling you and would you not answer his call? Would you be upset if he's calling you with his mother's tongue?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:41:01 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »

^Also, ONLY the Orthodox Church prays in the name of the Lord as given in Rev. 19.13:  Μονογενὴς Υἱὸς καὶ Λόγος τοῦ Θεοῦ

"The Word of God".

You are right the EO church does pray to this.
But you are wrong many other Christian faiths pray to this.

The "Word became flesh".
The "fleshes name" was Yeshua.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »

The "Word became flesh".
The "fleshes name" was Yeshua.

Do you know what does "logos" mean in ancient Greek and what "fields" does it cover, thus why was He called "Logos"?

Was the "fleshes name" Yeshua? Or was the person's name Yeshua? Was He a person, a spirit, or a flesh, or both? If both, how was He called before He became Yeshua? If flesh, how was the Spirit called? Was there two persons in Yeshua?

St. John the Theologos knew exactly what he was doing, when he wrote about Yeshua's name.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:45:41 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »

I believe my points bother many Eastern Orthodox Christians because they know there IS validity to what I am saying, but in order to say it would work somewhat against "how the EO church does things".   "The church is the church, and the church is right, period no matter what".

It's like "God forbid you want to actually call him by his correctly pronounced name".

No one's saying that calling the Word of God Yeshua is wrong. It's just not the ONLY name to ascribe to him.
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

The man in the video pronounces everything in a heavy American accent. He even gets the ח at the end of משיח wrong. ח is a heavy (and very noticable) h sound, equivalent to the Arabic ح, yet this guy omits it altogether, saying "Mashia" rather than "Mashiaḥ". In other words, this guy clearly hasn't got a clue about the pronunciation of Semitic languages, and citing him as an authority doesn't exactly help your argument.
The fact that he warns against saying "Jesus" because "sus" sounds like "Zeus" is beyond stupid, and only vaguely works in English. This guy is clueless.
x2
the Classical pronunciation of the name of Zeus with the diphthong Zeh-oos, was long gone by Jesus' time, in Koine Greek, Zeus was pronounced as Zeh-fs, the cluster -eu in Koine Greek had shifted pronunciation and was pronounced the same way we pronounce it in Modern Greek, as the devoiced ev sound.
Therefore, rest assured,
Ἰησοῦς ≠ Ζεῦς

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »

you want, use the accents or not, written or not... whatever.  It doesn't matter to me.  The name of Yeshua is incredibly close if not exact to what he was called.  The transliteration of "Jesus" is phonetically VERY far from what he was called from his mother.
Several people here have already acknowledged that he was probably called Yeshua.

I believe my points bother many Eastern Orthodox Christians because they know there IS validity to what I am saying, but in order to say it would work somewhat against "how the EO church does things".   "The church is the church, and the church is right, period no matter what".
Why does it seem like that almost every time we don't agree with you, it's because we are "scared" of going againts the Church. Could it be that most of us just don't agree that pronouncing Christ's name as it was done 2000 years ago is such an important issue as you think it is.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

So would Our Lord mind if I call Him Josh Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:18 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Exactly my point.   Smiley

I'm NOT calling people wrong for saying Jesus.  I personally see it as a weaker transliteration.  That's all.
I just thought it was ironic that somebody would use the name in a bad manner, and its not even his name.  I hear people say it all the time - "Jesus Christ".   I think "If you only knew his real name, you'd be educated not to take it in vain".   

It's just irony folks.  I do not think you are incorrect, but just using a weaker translation.

I don't know if it matters to God.  I know we were commanded to pray in his name. 

Please forgive if I've offended in this thread.  Wasn't my intent, I just saw irony.  It is also my opinion that saying "Jesus" is a weaker translation.  Of course, I won't budge from this, but I don't think people are wrong who say it.

The question that would remain is if I believe EO Christians should say "Yeshua" rather than "Jesus".   I believe that the English speaking churches should under the guidance of their bishops.  But if not - I guess they just don't, its up to them. 

But please brothers & sisters, there are bigger fish to fry than my opinion on this matter.  I very well could be wrong as I am a fallible person.   I try my best to seek truth in the mind that God created me with. 

God bless.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Exactly my point.   Smiley

My brother, you may have missed mine  Lips Sealed

God bless.

Amen!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »

I am sorry for an overly-emotional tone in my posts, yeshuaisiam.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »

I am sorry for an overly-emotional tone in my posts, yeshuaisiam.

Please forgive me.    Sometimes I get caught up in things and its just delves too far into stuff.

We are all trying to achieve the same target & goal, salvation.  Please everybody else forgive me.  I should have restrained my quick tongue ... um.... fingertips blurting out opinions.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »

Please everybody else forgive me. 
Even though there is no need, please consider it kindly done my brother Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »

Please forgive me.    Sometimes I get caught up in things and its just delves too far into stuff.

We are all trying to achieve the same target & goal, salvation.  Please everybody else forgive me.  I should have restrained my quick tongue ... um.... fingertips blurting out opinions.

We all do this, eventually, it's nothing Smiley. Good night, for in the Realm Of Everlasting Unspeakable Heat, which is politely called Summer Time In The Republic Of Poland, it's 01:18 am, and I have to get up quite early - so, as Romanians say, ceau!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: