OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:39:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage, Testament laws, and Chick-Fil-A  (Read 12610 times) Average Rating: 0
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

So Chick-Fil-A was mobbed last Weds by folks standing up for traditional values? Where are all these folks when we need help at the homeless shelter?

They were probably on their lunch break
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2012, 12:23:08 AM »

So Chick-Fil-A was mobbed last Weds by folks standing up for traditional values? Where are all these folks when we need help at the homeless shelter?

cute. when was the last time you saw people mob a volunteer oppurtunity?

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »

Any number of walkathons for one.  I saw one the week before last.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »

The local food pantry down the street seemed pretty well-staffed when we went there to donate two flats of juice drinks last week. You'd be surprised how people still support traditional values even when we're not talking about homosexuality and fast food. Roll Eyes

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2012, 03:25:32 AM »

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:09 AM »

Apparently Joe thinks that execs at McDonalds who "earn" millions and millions of dollars of bonuses is the right thing, while the worker at McDonald's who cannot even support himself on his own income must be the one to starve because hey he doesn't have a career.

But I forgot those execs need those yachts rather than the worker to get a roof of his head and other amenities.

Are you people even Christian? Honestly. Stop serving yourselves and start serving other people.
Supply and demand.  You do a job anyone can do because it is not so demanding, there is a lot of supply, and the salary reflects it.

Of course, they can raise the price to $10 a burger, in which case no one will buy them and everyone will be out of a job.

Do you really think any job you have ever had is as "demanding" as a migrant farm worker's job?

Fwiw, I do. In middle school I worked on a farm in the summer, right alongside Mexican illegal immigrants. What do you want to know about it?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:41:05 AM by age234 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »

Yup.

So? You are here spouting trash yourself rather than at a homeless shelter rendering assistance. Bah...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »

The Nanny State is no Utopia either:

http://www.minnpost.com/global-post/2012/07/euro-crisis-growing-hungry-greece

Euro crisis: Growing up hungry in Greece
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:43:04 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »

All the time... The walk for Cancer we go to has tons of people show up. The local food pantry has a waiting list for the various Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts and high school community service clubs to come out and stock shelves and do the various chores..The Half Way house by Church gets lots of help...     etc.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #324 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »

All the time... The walk for Cancer we go to has tons of people show up. The local food pantry has a waiting list for the various Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts and high school community service clubs to come out and stock shelves and do the various chores..The Half Way house by Church gets lots of help...     etc.
I guess for some this is not good enough.  You cant satisfy all the folks no matter what is done for them. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:04:58 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #325 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »

Yup.

So? You are here spouting trash yourself rather than at a homeless shelter rendering assistance. Bah...
excuse me, i do work with a homeless program actually.

Proverbs 22:7
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »

This has turned into a rather hilariously confusing brouhaha,  laugh laugh as far as the Orthodox Christians of America are concerned,  is it a question of religion, politics, law, or personal conviction? what the heck is going on that we are arguing over where to eat our chicken and whom to eat it with? The way I see it, If it is a religious question of with whom to dine with, make sure you imitate your master, as Jesus has been known to dine with those deemed sinners and not the teachers and keepers of the law. if it is a matter of politics the best of politicians like Gandhi would advocate for peaceful coexistence, If it is a matter of civil law folks like Dr. king would march with those that fight for their civil rights, if its a personal conviction for pits sake go ahead and eat your chicken!  police It’s a FREE COUNTRY after all, or is it….?  Undecided But that’s just me, so you may continue as you are folks . police I am now going to drink some fantastic Fantalimon with a nice slice of fruitcake because I love them both! Wink laugh

P.S.to those who are fasting or who are going to start, wish you all a blessed fast. May the intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos be with all of us. amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »

What kind of job has an hours long lunch break?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »

There.  And in the soup kitchens and any number of charitable enterprises which, studies show, the conservative folks overwhelming contribute to and run the bulk.
Doesn't matter really. Capitalist charity is often worse that capitalist brutality since it only serves to confuse the oppressed.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »

There.  And in the soup kitchens and any number of charitable enterprises which, studies show, the conservative folks overwhelming contribute to and run the bulk.
Doesn't matter really. Capitalist charity is often worse that capitalist brutality since it only serves to confuse the oppressed.

And assuage the conscience of the oppressors.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #330 on: August 06, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

Probably the kind where you start work, say for example, at 8 a.m., work until noon, have your lunch break for an hour, and then go back to work from 1 p.m.-5p.m.  Simple, really.  Lots of places "out there" in the real world do that.  Lots of other places don't have an hour-long lunch break.  Others, like where I work, give you an option.  So what?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »

Probably the kind where you start work, say for example, at 8 a.m., work until noon, have your lunch break for an hour, and then go back to work from 1 p.m.-5p.m.  Simple, really.  Lots of places "out there" in the real world do that.  Lots of other places don't have an hour-long lunch break.  Others, like where I work, give you an option.  So what?
Most of my jobs have only included a half hour lunch breaks.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

Whoa. Way to stack the deck in favor of your view. When the enemy does good, it's still evil.  Roll Eyes

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »

Whoa. Way to stack the deck in favor of your view. When the enemy does good, it's still evil.  Roll Eyes

That's because it's "The Enemy" and *anything* The Enemy does is inherently evil.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #334 on: August 06, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »

In 1965 Prodution woker average hourly wage: $19.61
In 2007 Production worker average hourly wage: $19.71

Typical 1965 CEO pay for the same period: $490.31
Typical 2007 CEO pay for the same period: $5,419.97

Typical household net worth by head of household's age:

<35 years:
1984 - $11,680
2009 - $3,710

35-44:
1984 - $72,090
2009 - $40,140

45-54:
1984 - $115,060
2009 - $103,040

55-64:
1984 - $149,240
2009 - $164,270

>65:
1984 - $122,100
2009: $172,820

http://xkcd.com/980/

Plenty of sources on that link, but the evidence is pretty clear here.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #335 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »

Depends on you define "good".

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #336 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Insurance sales................ just sayin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

Insurance sales................ just sayin
ROFL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »

Some days I get an hour and one half, other days I get two minutes and I regularly work twelve or more hours a day.  Just depends.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »

Some days I get an hour and one half, other days I get two minutes and I regularly work twelve or more hours a day.  Just depends.

Hang up.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »

In 1965 Prodution woker average hourly wage: $19.61
In 2007 Production worker average hourly wage: $19.71

Typical 1965 CEO pay for the same period: $490.31
Typical 2007 CEO pay for the same period: $5,419.97

Typical household net worth by head of household's age:

<35 years:
1984 - $11,680
2009 - $3,710

35-44:
1984 - $72,090
2009 - $40,140

45-54:
1984 - $115,060
2009 - $103,040

55-64:
1984 - $149,240
2009 - $164,270

>65:
1984 - $122,100
2009: $172,820

http://xkcd.com/980/

Plenty of sources on that link, but the evidence is pretty clear here.
Evidence of what?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #341 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »

I take two hours and then a nap.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #342 on: August 06, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »

I take two hours and then a nap.

You are doing something right for sure. How do I achieve such amenities?

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #343 on: August 06, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »

Actually we get turned down for soup kitchens at certain times of year because they have "more than enough volunteers." 
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #344 on: August 07, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »

The political tangent has been split off and moved to Politics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=46248.0

Do remember that this is still the Public Forum, where discussion of politics is forbidden. Any more posts discussing politics on this thread will draw a formal warning or post moderation.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:17:04 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2012, 02:39:48 AM »

Sorry, I meant to unlock the thread yesterday.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »

I am glad this is finally winding down.  I went to Starbucks yesterday and I didn't see anyone protesting their pro-homosexual donations.  This all seemed one sided to me.  Purchase what you enjoy, but if it means that much to you don't purchase.  Either way, people should not make a mountain out of a mole hill.  It we didn't buy things from people we disagreed with, we would never purchase anything.

Peter, if this is considered political, please let me know.  I tried not to make it as such and would appreciate guidance so I do not violate any rules, even if I came close but didn't.  Thanks.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #347 on: September 05, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »

Quotes of Private Forum posts removed  -PtA
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,46248.msg802108/topicseen.html#msg802108

You've already been warned a number of times to not quote Private Forum posts on the public forum. You are permitted to post links to Private Forum posts, as you have also done in this post, but you are not permitted to quote them. For violating this rule yet again, you are now on post moderation for the next 30 days. If you think this action wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:02:41 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees

September 18, 2012 – Chicago, Illinois – The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA), Illinois’ leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights advocacy organization, has learned that Alderman Moreno has finalized his negotiations with Chick-Fil-A.  Alderman Moreno has confirmed that Chick-fil-A will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations and that they have clarified in an internal document that the company will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual orientation. The Civil Rights Agenda worked closely with the Alderman in an advisory role as he negotiated these concessions with the executives at Chick-fil-A.  Additionally, members of TCRA spoke directly with executives at Chick-fil-A during negotiations to aid in educating their decision makers about anti-discrimination policies and issues affecting the LGBT community.

In a letter addressed to Alderman Moreno and signed by Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, it states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.”  Winshape, a non-profit funded by Chick-fil-a, has donated millions of dollars to anti-LGBT groups, including some classified as hate groups.  In meetings the company executives clarified that they will no longer give to anti-gay organizations.
Smart move.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:24:34 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »

Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees

September 18, 2012 – Chicago, Illinois – The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA), Illinois’ leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights advocacy organization, has learned that Alderman Moreno has finalized his negotiations with Chick-Fil-A.  Alderman Moreno has confirmed that Chick-fil-A will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations and that they have clarified in an internal document that the company will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual orientation. The Civil Rights Agenda worked closely with the Alderman in an advisory role as he negotiated these concessions with the executives at Chick-fil-A.  Additionally, members of TCRA spoke directly with executives at Chick-fil-A during negotiations to aid in educating their decision makers about anti-discrimination policies and issues affecting the LGBT community.

In a letter addressed to Alderman Moreno and signed by Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, it states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.”  Winshape, a non-profit funded by Chick-fil-a, has donated millions of dollars to anti-LGBT groups, including some classified as hate groups.  In meetings the company executives clarified that they will no longer give to anti-gay organizations.
Smart move.
Unfortante. They caved to the lefty bullies.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »

Smart move.

The Market has decided. You should be happy.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »

Smart move.

What hate groups?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »

Smart move.

What hate groups?

Do you really care?

Frankly, if I were gay, I would be glad places like the above exist. This is going to kill the gay owned crummy fried chicken sandwich industry.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

Smart move.

What hate groups?
The Southern Poverty Law Center is using a specific definition of 'hate group':

The SPLC’s definition of hate speech does not require an explicit incitement to violence. According to the group’s website, a hate group must have “beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.” Being named as a hate group “does not imply a group advocates or engages in violence or other criminal activity.”

Many conservatives and progressives alike might disagree with this definition of hate group, choosing to save such language for groups that espouse violence.

In any event, the Family Research Council -- listed as a hate group by the SPLC, and a former recipient of Chick-Fil-A largesse -- does support making homosexual activity illegal, a political move that most Christians, I would think, would deem unwise to support:

Homosexuality Is Not a Civil Right

This pamphlet clarifies certain misconceptions about the meaning of "discrimination" (some forms of which can't-and shouldn't-be eliminated) and of "civil rights" (distinguishing those which limit government power from those which limit the rights of others). It also explains why homosexual conduct is not comparable to other characteristics usually protected by civil rights laws ("race, color, religion, sex, or national origin"). Protection against private "discrimination" has historically been offered only for characteristics that are inborn, involuntary, immutable, innocuous, and/or in the Constitution-yet none of these describe homosexual behavior.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:20:16 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »

Smart move.

The market did not decide. Chick fil a was still pulling in plenty of money. Lefties in the media decided.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #355 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

Smart move.

The market did not decide. Chick fil a was still pulling in plenty of money. Lefties in the media decided.
So the media made Chick-Fil-A do something it really didn't want to do?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »

Smart move.

So the media made Chick-Fil-A do something it really didn't want to do?
Just the weak sticks in the corporation.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »

Smart move.

This is the naivete of you invisible hand types. The market always decides. The invisible hand operates within the media, government, labor unions, communists, etc.

You just like the invisible within your own image.

Adam Smith has the tautological insight of a Taoist.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »

Smart move.

Yes.  People seem to always cave into ignorance.  So sad.  The implosion continues. 

"you disagree with the modern day fad movements?  You're a hatemonger!"
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Smart move.

What hate groups?

My thoughts exactly.  What hate groups?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: