OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:52:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage, Testament laws, and Chick-Fil-A  (Read 10843 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

In the alternate universe of culture warrior ism it,s heterosexuals that are discriminated most often by homosexuals.

Alternate? Like San Francisco?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »

I'm not sure I support a company that promotes or even enables anti-gay rhetoric.

And how do you define "anti-gay rhetoric?" Would simply stating that homosexuality is a disorder or that the acts involved are sins be deemed by you "anti-gay rhetoric," even if there is no condemnation of persons or fomenting of violence or discrimination?
But see you are condemning homosexuals because you classify how they act as sinful. I don't think that's the right approach. but meh.

Look all I'm saying is CFA should be focused on running their business instead of using it as a platform to promote their beliefs.

Oh

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage... I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-201108120--finance.html

When asked whether his company had an established position against marriage equality, Cathy said, "guilty as charged."
http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/07/17/chick-fil-coo-dan-cathy-officially-comes-out-antigay

Also Cathy is basically saying that "pro-family" doesn't involve families that are raised by gay couples, which is a ridiculous statement.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »

Chick-fil-a rocks!
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »

I'm not sure I support a company that promotes or even enables anti-gay rhetoric.
And their anti-cow/anti-beef campaign is pure hate at its very core.  The audacity of some people! Grin
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »

They can go to fill in the blanks for hat I care. We should first be outraged at the cra@'y salaries they probably pay their workers. Frankly I do not have a stronger antipathy for any other sort of businessmen than for thOse parading their supposed Christianity. As if it's possible to be Christian In any meaningful sense and be a billionaire or millionaire in the first place; hopefully the revolution will take care of this sort first.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »

And how do you define "anti-gay rhetoric?" Would simply stating that homosexuality is a disorder or that the acts involved are sins be deemed by you "anti-gay rhetoric," even if there is no condemnation of persons or fomenting of violence or discrimination?
But see you are condemning homosexuals because you classify how they act as sinful. I don't think that's the right approach. but meh.

Look all I'm saying is CFA should be focused on running their business instead of using it as a platform to promote their beliefs.

Oh

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage... I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-201108120--finance.html

When asked whether his company had an established position against marriage equality, Cathy said, "guilty as charged."
http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/07/17/chick-fil-coo-dan-cathy-officially-comes-out-antigay

Also Cathy is basically saying that "pro-family" doesn't involve families that are raised by gay couples, which is a ridiculous statement.
oh, a study just recently slipped through substantiating the statement.

You did notice that Cathy "when asked" answered, not dodged, the question.

That the gay agenda has to hide what it is up too, much like abortion promoters, should serve as a warning.  "Marriage equality"-that's a lie.  I've seen them deny that they are for polygamy, and I doubt that they are for common law marriage.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

They can go to fill in the blanks for hat I care. We should first be outraged at the cra@'y salaries they probably pay their workers. Frankly I do not have a stronger antipathy for any other sort of businessmen than for thOse parading their supposed Christianity. As if it's possible to be Christian In any meaningful sense and be a billionaire or millionaire in the first place; hopefully the revolution will take care of this sort first.
I'm with you 100%. But you know with these types of Christians a reinterpretation of the verse in your sig, "easier for a camel in the eye of a needle". and all that. I once had a member from the same church Cathy belongs to explaining that the camel/needle verse is the most misinterpreted verse in the Bible and doesn't condemn at all rich people and that more money is a good thing.

But we will see how Cathy will buy his way into heaven with all his millions while his workers can't even live off of their own wages.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »

A friend of mine has speculated that this whole thing was a calculated move on the part of Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy to drum up more business by making Chick-fil-A seem like a persecuted martyr. He theorizes that since Chick-fil-A does not do nearly as well in liberal communities as it does in conservative areas, it was a calculated gamble to trade the loss of liberal consumers for an increased gain from conservative consumers. I'm not sure I agree with his thesis, but it's interesting. It would surely be a cynical ploy on Dan Cathy's part. And I personally think he is a better business man than to intentionally sabotage any of his consumer base. Also, even if such a strategy worked in here in the U.S., it would backfire internationally. It would be foolish to jeaopardize the proliferation of their business overseas simply to make short term gains in America. I also think Chick-fil-A has built their company on integrity, and such a cynical move would be contrary to the values and integrity upon which their company was founded. But then again, I might be very naive.

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

I'm not sure their "militancy and intolerance" always backfire, what with Coors and all.

And it's pretty sad and petty that you would do something just to spite gay people.

It isn't homosexuals people have a problem with, its stupid homosexuals that get under peoples skin.  I, for instance, know several homosexuals and get along with them splendidly.  The militant, agenda pushing, over the top nuts jobs, however, hate me.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »

But you know what, much like Christianity, you are free to interpret your sandwich in any way you want. Tangy barbecue (southern baptist), mayonnaise (methodist), ketchup (catholic), or even honey mustard (church of god). Or mix them all up in one horrible amalgamation.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »

Can you point to a revolution that didn't "take care" of the hoi polloi first, and in greater numbers?  More peasants, for instance, were served up on the guillotine in the French Revolution (72%, i.e. almost a full three fourths, compared to 8% aristocrats, 6% clergy and 14% bourgeoisie), than the aristocrats (who could afford to just leave).

And there are plenty of of meaningful Christian millionaires, e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Monaghan

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »

I'm with you 100%. But you know with these types of Christians a reinterpretation of the verse in your sig, "easier for a camel in the eye of a needle". and all that. I once had a member from the same church Cathy belongs to explaining that the camel/needle verse is the most misinterpreted verse in the Bible and doesn't condemn at all rich people and that more money is a good thing.

But we will see how Cathy will buy his way into heaven with all his millions while his workers can't even live off of their own wages.
what is with this idea that ALL jobs, not matter what, must pay enough to live off of?  Does that include the Lemonade stand the 10 year olds had that I frequented this week (imagine, capitalism in Manhattan)?

Fr. Deacon Daniel

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »

I respect Mr. Cathy for standing up for what he believes in and promoting Christian values. Growing up in Atlanta and having met Mr. Cathy I can testify personally that he is a kind and loving person. One of the companies I freelance for provides audio/visual equipment and technical support for their conferences. I have never worked a conference, and believe me I have worked many, that promoted and maintains the level of Christian values that Chik-fil-A does.  

Honestly, the attack on Chick-Fil-A is typical of the anti-christian agenda, which dominates our media. Here is an article from WSJ. The company really does a lot to help the less fortunate. I also like the simple fact that they are closed on Sunday's. Obviously, Southern Baptist ideology and practices are not in line with traditional Christianity but nonetheless I admire the company for at least trying to do what they believe is right.

ATLANTA—Long before Chick-fil-A chief executive Dan Cathy's recent remarks regarding gay marriage, the Cathy family has been open and active supporters of Christian traditional marriage.

Through their WinShape Foundation, created in 1984, the owners of Chick-fil-A have donated millions to various causes, including Christian organizations dedicated to preserving traditional heterosexual marriages.

"They are very loving and caring people that want to serve others and help them move toward a healthy marriage," said Mark Pyatt, co-president of the National Institute of Marriage, a Branson, Mo.,-based Christian group that works with the WinShape Foundation, including holding monthly couples retreats at the foundation's center at Berry College, a Rome, Ga., Christian college. Chick-fil-A often refers workers, franchise owners and staff who are having problems with their marriage to the institute and other Christian groups focused on marriage.

The rest of the article can be read by here:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444840104577553341868014390.html

Quote of article truncated to enforce compliance with our forum rule against quoting full-length articles  -PtA
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:48:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

A friend of mine has speculated that this whole thing was a calculated move on the part of Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy to drum up more business by making Chick-fil-A seem like a persecuted martyr. He theorizes that since Chick-fil-A does not do nearly as well in liberal communities as it does in conservative areas, it was a calculated gamble to trade the loss of liberal consumers for an increased gain from conservative consumers. I'm not sure I agree with his thesis, but it's interesting. It would surely be a cynical ploy on Dan Cathy's part. And I personally think he is a better business man than to intentionally sabotage any of his consumer base. Also, even if such a strategy worked in here in the U.S., it would backfire internationally. It would be foolish to jeaopardize the proliferation of their business overseas simply to make short term gains in America. I also think Chick-fil-A has built their company on integrity, and such a cynical move would be contrary to the values and integrity upon which their company was founded. But then again, I might be very naive.

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

I'm not sure their "militancy and intolerance" always backfire, what with Coors and all.

And it's pretty sad and petty that you would do something just to spite gay people.
Serving notice that those pushing the gay agenda (the majority of whom are not gay, btw) shall not dictate to us is not spiting them.  It is rather sad and petty that someone should think we should ask "how high" when they say "jump"!

Evidently they shall dictate to you, what with how you choose to do things based on what the gays say.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

I will admit that liberals sure do look mighty hypocritical right now saying CFA is intolerant. Yet it seems to me liberals are intolerant of the freedom of speech. I also would like some confirmation if CFA is funding anti-gay marriage groups as well.

There's only like 3% of adults in America who classify themselves as LGBT, why give them such a loud voice when they hardly represent a majority?

How have liberals showed intolerance for free speech?  Was anyone demanding the CEO be put in jail over his comments, or were people just expressing disgust at what he said?  If he had said "I really wish Hitler was still around," would you think everyone who boycotted him was intolerant of free speech, or merely showing their disapproval of the ideals the man has?  Your comment is as absurd as college newspapers that print ads for white supremacists, because the white supremacists have freedom of speech.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »

I don't know what this thread is about, but I'm on Chick-Fil-A's side.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Nobody should ever eat at Chick-Fil-A; it's mediocre food at expensive prices.

I ate there in grad school. They had an outlet in the cafeteria--perhaps it's been shut down by kiss-ins, I don't know now. But part of my job in the cafeteria was working there and in proximity to the place and after that, I didn't eat there because of cross-contamination issues. Perhaps real Chick-Fil-As not staffed by students are better run.

You know, the only Chik-Fil-A I've eaten at was also at a university, maybe that explains it (of course, nearly every other food establishment I've eaten at at ASU had perfectly fine food).

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Selam

It isn't homosexuals people have a problem with, its stupid homosexuals that get under peoples skin.  I, for instance, know several homosexuals and get along with them splendidly.  The militant, agenda pushing, over the top nuts jobs, however, hate me.

Kind of like the people who will go eat at Chik-Fil-A, when they've never before been there, just because the gays said not to...

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

nonetheless I admire the company for at least trying to do what they believe is right.

Do you admire Hitler and Stalin and Mao as well, for trying to do what they believe is right?  I see no reason to ever respect someone just because they try to do what they think is right.

StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »

I will admit that liberals sure do look mighty hypocritical right now saying CFA is intolerant. Yet it seems to me liberals are intolerant of the freedom of speech. I also would like some confirmation if CFA is funding anti-gay marriage groups as well.

There's only like 3% of adults in America who classify themselves as LGBT, why give them such a loud voice when they hardly represent a majority?

How have liberals showed intolerance for free speech?  Was anyone demanding the CEO be put in jail over his comments, or were people just expressing disgust at what he said?  If he had said "I really wish Hitler was still around," would you think everyone who boycotted him was intolerant of free speech, or merely showing their disapproval of the ideals the man has?  Your comment is as absurd as college newspapers that print ads for white supremacists, because the white supremacists have freedom of speech.

The juxtaposition of Cathy with Hitler and white supremacists is a bit extreme.  Cathy reiterated what is and has been the standard of the Judeo-Christian West for the past two millenia.  He moreover stated his views positively, without expressing any vitriol toward opposing views.

The liberal response, on the other hand, has been over the top.  Even Mayor Bloomberg, no conservative, has spoken against fellow liberal  mayors for banning Chick-fil-A from their cities on the basis of an owner's personal views.  

In my opinion, the liberals not only are showing their disapproval, but are actively seeking to punish those who disagree with them into moral submission.        
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:56:39 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »

edit to politics this goes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:17:29 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

In my opinion, the liberals not only are showing their disapproval, but are actively seeking to punish those who disagree with them into moral submission.        
Exactly.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »

Selam

I think if you check you may find this has nothing to do with being Liberal or Conservative. Some of the strongest opponents of Homosexual Marriage are the predominantly Black Church's which are also very much on the side of the Democratic Party.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Fr. Deacon Daniel

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »

How have liberals showed intolerance for free speech?  Was anyone demanding the CEO be put in jail over his comments, or were people just expressing disgust at what he said?  If he had said "I really wish Hitler was still around," would you think everyone who boycotted him was intolerant of free speech, or merely showing their disapproval of the ideals the man has?  Your comment is as absurd as college newspapers that print ads for white supremacists, because the white supremacists have freedom of speech.

The juxtaposition of Cathy with Hitler and white supremacists is a bit extreme.  Cathy reiterated what is and has been the standard of the Judeo-Christian West for the past two millenia.  He moreover stated his views positively, without expressing any vitriol toward opposing views.

The liberal response, on the other hand, has been over the top.  Even Mayor Bloomberg, no conservative, has spoken against fellow liberal  mayors for banning Chick-fil-A from their cities on the basis of an owner's personal views.  

That juxtaposition is not extreme it is totally nonsensical. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating or arguing. I do pray that Chick-Fil-A continues to hold to Christian values and not fall victim to the spirit of our times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:04:39 PM by Fr. Deacon Daniel » Logged

"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »

How have liberals showed intolerance for free speech?  Was anyone demanding the CEO be put in jail over his comments, or were people just expressing disgust at what he said?  If he had said "I really wish Hitler was still around," would you think everyone who boycotted him was intolerant of free speech, or merely showing their disapproval of the ideals the man has?  Your comment is as absurd as college newspapers that print ads for white supremacists, because the white supremacists have freedom of speech.

Thank you James. I still do not know what this thread is about. I do not know who said what and what is being argued against. As far as I know there is no central and accepted voice for the LGBTQ community to justify the tenor of this thread. I am willing to learn if someone wants to start including names of who I should pay attention to. If you go back through this thread and not see a mob-like hysteria with no finger pointing to particular people and instead settling on a whole group of people, please let me know what post I missed.

And yes, without additional and specific facts that are currently lacking I find this thread appalling .
Fr. Deacon Daniel

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »

Thank you James. I still do not know what this thread is about. I do not know who said what and what is being argued against. As far as I know there is no central and accepted voice for the LGBTQ community to justify the tenor of this thread. I am willing to learn if someone wants to start including names of who I should pay attention to. If you go back through this thread and not see a mob-like hysteria with no finger pointing to particular people and instead settling on a whole group of people, please let me know what post I missed.

And yes, without additional and specific facts that are currently lacking I find this thread appalling .

Greetings Opus,

If you would like to read an article regarding the Orthodox Christian view on homosexuality this one is pretty good. There are many others out there as well.

http://www.antiochian.org/node/17905

There are voluminous examples of the uproar in the media regarding Dan Cathy's comments. I am sure you can use Google or any other search engine and see for yourself. The point is, Christian values are eroding at an alarming rate in this country and anyone who is the public eye, who stands up for Christ's commandments will be attacked. Whether you call those who attack them liberal, democrat, etc. these terms miss the mark. The spirit of the times we live in is attacking Christian morality at every opportunity it can. Let us pray that the Lord blesses those who resist this spirit and follow in the footsteps of Christ's commandments no matter what denomination they belong.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:01:39 PM by Fr. Deacon Daniel » Logged

—Dostoevsky
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »

What I don't understand is  why all the hoopla now over it. Mr Cathy has always let his beliefs known. It is no surprise, its old old news.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »

What evidence do you have (assertion is not evidence) that CFA's employees receive crappy salaries/wages?  And if they are, why are you not donating your money to supplement their income?

BTW, I'm eating CFA right now. Mmm, mmm!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:22:52 PM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

What evidence do you have (assertion is not evidence) that CFA's employees receive crappy salaries/wages?  And if they are, why are you not donating your money to supplement their income?

We had a parishioner who was a regional manager for them. She thought she had a good job. 

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »

How have liberals showed intolerance for free speech?  Was anyone demanding the CEO be put in jail over his comments, or were people just expressing disgust at what he said?
No, elected officials (mayors) have called for banning the chain from doing business in their cities and in general drive them out of business, with not so veiled threats if its CEO doesn't change and get with the program.  Rahm Emmanuel can kiss my ****: my family was in Chicago for the fire and I'll be going to the Chicken-Fil-A Tuesday (Wednesday is a fast) to show "Chicago values."  Rahm seems to think he and Hussain and Rezko and Blago represent "chicago values."  One would think he'd be busy with stopping the killing going on in the city rather than preaching on the morality of fast food CEO's.

Profanity removed  -PtA

30-day warning for profanity. This post is also being considered for an even longer warning for contributing to this thread's recent political shift. If you feel this action is wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut

Upon further review of this thread, I note that others have been talking about the general culture war and phrasing their "liberal vs. conservative" dichotomy within the context of that general culture war and not in political terms. I also notice that no one else has named and criticized politicians for their political views as you have in this post. Therefore, I am extending your warning another 30 days for posting political commentary on the Public Forum. Added to the 27 days that remain on your warning for profanity, the duration of your warning for this post now stands at 57 days.

Again, if you feel this action unwarranted, feel free to appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:56:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2012, 01:37:23 AM »

Selam

Serving notice that those pushing the gay agenda (the majority of whom are not gay, btw) shall not dictate to us is not spiting them.  It is rather sad and petty that someone should think we should ask "how high" when they say "jump"!

Evidently they shall dictate to you, what with how you choose to do things based on what the gays say.
This is our Stonewall.  This shall not stand.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »

Selam

Kind of like the people who will go eat at Chik-Fil-A, when they've never before been there, just because the gays said not to...
How is this "kind of like" what I said?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »

nonetheless I admire the company for at least trying to do what they believe is right.

Do you admire Hitler and Stalin and Mao as well, for trying to do what they believe is right?  I see no reason to ever respect someone just because they try to do what they think is right.
So...respect no one?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »

But you know what, much like Christianity, you are free to interpret your sandwich in any way you want. Tangy barbecue (southern baptist), mayonnaise (methodist), ketchup (catholic), or even honey mustard (church of god). Or mix them all up in one horrible amalgamation.
Or plain (Orthodox), because it was the first version.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »

Or plain (Orthodox), because it was the first version.
But extra crispy.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »

Hetero people can marry and divorce a week later but homosexuals who have been living together for years can't marry.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »

Hetero people can marry and divorce a week later but homosexuals who have been living together for years can't marry.
And....?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »

Greetings Opus,

If you would like to read an article regarding the Orthodox Christian view on homosexuality this one is pretty good. There are many others out there as well.

There are voluminous examples of the uproar in the media regarding Dan Cathy's comments. I am sure you can use Google or any other search engine and see for yourself. The point is, Christian values are eroding at an alarming rate in this country and anyone who is the public eye, who stands up for Christ's commandments will be attacked. Whether you call those who attack them liberal, democrat, etc. these terms miss the mark. The spirit of the times we live in is attacking Christian morality at every opportunity it can. Let us pray that the Lord blesses those who resist this spirit and follow in the footsteps of Christ's commandments no matter what denomination they belong.

If only people would stand up for what they believe in without engaging in a culture war; as I've said before, war makes an abstraction out of human beings.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »

What I don't understand is  why all the hoopla now over it. Mr Cathy has always let his beliefs known. It is no surprise, its old old news.

As I understand it, there have been some people who have taken issue with him for quite some time; however, he did an interview for (I believe) Baptist News, earlier this month, and other news agencies picked up on the interview and this whole situation kind of blew up.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »

This entire boycott business trend is a slippery slope when you have to add in the international nature of most large corporations doing business in the US. Many of them engage in actions which are violative of either US law or policy (i.e. setting up side companies to do business with say, Cuba or Iran or North Korea) or partnering or being supportive of governments like China or Pakistan whose law's are often the subject of international outrage - forced abortions, limits on the number of children, support of terrorism etc..etc..etc... Mr. Cathy is surely entitled to his beliefs as are we all (for the most part unless you are a Hitler or Mao or mass murderer acting on 'voices' from within - just to name a few....). Egregious examples of corporate policy being the basis of a proper and effective business boycott are probably few - the Woolworth lunch counter and southern bus examples of the 1950's and 1960's come to mind or Ghandi and salt - and the tactic should be sparingly recommended - hence it loses its ability to make an example out of something or someone. If I need to parse the personal opinions and beliefs of corporate CEO's before buying, watching, eating etc...I would never get anything done.

A great example is the connection between NewsCorporation, the Murdochs and political conservatives here and in the UK. The entertainment division of the company panders to the lowest common demoninators in order to prosper (just check out the drivel this summer masquerading as entertainment on the Fox Network as an example) while at the same time the news division constantly extolls the conservative cause and promotes values based commentators. Hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to making money.

I am not saying that making money is inherently evil or 'bad', just that you have to take stuff like this with a big grain of salt.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »

Just not true unless you buy false definitions. If a Gay person is Married  there are no separate requirements.

Only when they attempt to form a faux Marriage to each other are there extra requirements, but the whole thing is a sham to begin with.

I have known many couples over the years where one of them is Homosexual ( most often the man). Sometimes they can work it out, sometimes not. Marriage is a rough game.

This entire political issue focuses only on one segment of the Homosexual community as if that is all there is. Gay people marry the opposite sex have children and lead a normal life all the time. .. None of them count.  How many RCC Priests are Gay? Only one Gay culture counts it seems.

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »

I am increasingly puzzled by the notion that having a different opinion about something is being phobic or spiteful or oppressive.

Btw, my 85-yr-old mother and her 90-yr-old friend plan to eat at Chick-fil-A on Wednesday. Neither one is doing it to spite anyone.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »

Greetings Opus,

If only people would stand up for what they believe in without engaging in a culture war; as I've said before, war makes an abstraction out of human beings.

It would be great if there were no culture war, yet I do not see the war as something which can be ended easily.  The foundational views, even on what is truth, for the opposing groups are different, and when people of one belief stand up for what they believe is true, people of another disposition often see this action as a heinous attack on (or misuse of) freedom, an impediment to (or reversal of) progress, and so actively seek to stop the other side.

I agree that Christian values are eroding, yet I think it important to note that what is seen as Christian erosion by one side is Christian progress for the other.  Many churches which are "liberal" see themselves as true followers of Christ's commandments.  They focus much on the love and acceptance of Christ, and consider anti-homosexuality verses as coming from a less sophisticated society (which practiced slavery, the patriarchal subjugation of women, etc.) and so without application for today.          
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:41:17 AM by StGeorge » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

I am increasingly puzzled by the notion that having a different opinion about something is being phobic or spiteful or oppressive.

Btw, my 85-yr-old mother and her 90-yr-old friend plan to eat at Chick-fil-A on Wednesday. Neither one is doing it to spite anyone.

Here is what I think is going on. If you uphold the Judeo Christian form of Marriage and oppose it's redefinition, you are ipso facto a bigot.

They are trying to tie any opposition to redefining marriage to the former Civil Rights Movements in this country.  The problem is that many people who fought for Civil Rights for Blacks also oppose re defining marriage. But that's the angle.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »

We had a parishioner who was a regional manager for them. She thought she had a good job. 

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Chick-fil-A-Hourly-Pay-E5873.htm
That's where his values  are:$7. 65/h
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Chick-fil-A-Hourly-Pay-E5873.htm
That's where his values  are:$7. 65/h

I didnt see Regional Supervisor on that list. How does the pay there compare with McDonalds and Burger King?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: