OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage, Testament laws, and Chick-Fil-A  (Read 11373 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: July 28, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »

I have to give the opposition credit. They accurately, if cynically, do point to the fact that the same Church(es) that stand for "Biblical Marriage" in fact neglect many other marital laws quoted in Scripture

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »

I have to give the opposition credit. They accurately, if cynically, do point to the fact that the same Church(es) that stand for "Biblical Marriage" in fact neglect many other marital laws quoted in Scripture
Such as?

I am, btw, typing between eating my first Chick-Fil-A.  The parking lot was packed.  The counters were packed.  The dining room was packed.  The patio was packed.  The drive thru was packed.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »

I'm not sure I support a company that promotes or even enables anti-gay rhetoric.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »

What is the source?   Huh
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »

Watch this video (namely minutes 1:00-2:00).

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »

Watch this video (namely minutes 1:00-2:00).

Stunning!  Tongue

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

I wouldn't say they're accurate. Most of the Protestants I know oppose no-fault divorce and other threats to institutional marriage/family just as much as gay marriage (plenty of Protestant churches have more stringent divorce rules than even Orthodoxy, for instance). There's just no organized pro-divorce movement around to drum up controversy about it.

In my experience the whole "Christian hypocrites" angle that these types play up is mostly mythological.

I am, btw, typing between eating my first Chick-Fil-A.  The parking lot was packed.  The counters were packed.  The dining room was packed.  The patio was packed.  The drive thru was packed.

I don't have CFA in my state (though I've enjoyed it many times in other locales), but I've heard the same from friends elsewhere. Seems this controversy has been the best thing that ever happened to the company.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:34:19 PM by age234 » Logged
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

And honestly, this whole controversy is dumb. The president of the company said he was pro-family. Didn't say the words "gay" or "homosexual" at all. That was the spin of radical egomaniacs who seem to require the explicit and unqualified approval of absolutely every person on earth or they will die.

Chick-Fil-A restaurants don't have a sexual litmus test for customers or employees. I never saw a gaydar installed in the entrance of one. So...what's the big deal?

Much ado about nothing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:46:21 PM by age234 » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »

Had some Chick-Fil-A this afternoon. Place was filled to the brim.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

I'm not sure I support a company that promotes or even enables anti-gay rhetoric.
There was no "anti-gay" rhetoric.  Just pro-marriage rhetoric.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Why do we have a news post with no link to the news. What is this about?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

That's the 2nd post with no link, perhaps he is posting from a device that is editing out links? Is there such a problem with some devices?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »

Promotes or enables anti-gay rhetoric?  All they've said was they don't support homosexual marriage.  If we have a problem with that, then we have a problem with the Orthodox Church. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Nobody should ever eat at Chick-Fil-A; it's mediocre food at expensive prices.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

And honestly, this whole controversy is dumb. The president of the company said he was pro-family. Didn't say the words "gay" or "homosexual" at all. That was the spin of radical egomaniacs who seem to require the explicit and unqualified approval of absolutely every person on earth or they will die.

Because we all know you can only talk about something explicitly...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »

Expensive, yes, but the food is fantastic.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:22:45 AM »

Carrot Slaw rocks! Their chicken is the best chicken sandwich on the market, so good that McDonald's tried to rip it off with their "Southern" Chicken Sandwich.

Joseph
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 01:23:55 AM »

I suppose there is no accounting for some people's taste buds.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 01:25:17 AM »

Eat mor chikin. Grin (MOOOOOO!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:26:11 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 01:57:39 AM »

A friend of mine has speculated that this whole thing was a calculated move on the part of Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy to drum up more business by making Chick-fil-A seem like a persecuted martyr. He theorizes that since Chick-fil-A does not do nearly as well in liberal communities as it does in conservative areas, it was a calculated gamble to trade the loss of liberal consumers for an increased gain from conservative consumers. I'm not sure I agree with his thesis, but it's interesting. It would surely be a cynical ploy on Dan Cathy's part. And I personally think he is a better business man than to intentionally sabotage any of his consumer base. Also, even if such a strategy worked in here in the U.S., it would backfire internationally. It would be foolish to jeaopardize the proliferation of their business overseas simply to make short term gains in America. I also think Chick-fil-A has built their company on integrity, and such a cynical move would be contrary to the values and integrity upon which their company was founded. But then again, I might be very naive.

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »

I was told that Chick-Fil-A money has been given to "faith-based" organizations that oppose gay marriage. Has anyone heard about that, or is it baseless?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

Dude, you are like within the heart of proper fried chicken which I would say ends about four miles north of me until you get to the occasional eatery like Sylvia's . Please don't waste your fried chicken experience on the garbage Chick-Fil-A puts out.

I beg your for your own sake.

Have real fried chicken and burn a rainbow flag, if you must protest what is going on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:27:27 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 02:47:39 AM »

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

Dude, you are like within the heart of proper fried chicken which I would say ends about four miles north of me until you get to the occasional eatery like Sylvia's . Please don't waste your fried chicken experience on the garbage Chick-Fil-A puts out.

Have real fried chicken and burn a rainbow flag, if you must protest what is going on.

Naw man, I ain't gonna eat it. I'll eat some free range on occasion, which my wife will fry up as good as anyone. But I'll probably go buy some lemon ades and sweet teas from Chick-fil-A, just to protest intolerance. I'm not a flag burner type of guy. Not really into burning books, burning flags, burning babies, or burning oneself. Burn Babylon, that's all!  Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

Selam

We protest by building up.  The opposition protests by tearing down.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 06:24:06 AM »

Let's see if this works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprRWKQys7A

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:06 AM »

I now see a link Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »

Very inspiring video, and very influential. That gal definitey inspired me to go to Chik-fil-A on August 1st and buy a few meals to give to the homeless. And her points were so good that she almost influenced me to stop being a vegetarian.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:34:19 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »

A friend of mine has speculated that this whole thing was a calculated move on the part of Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy to drum up more business by making Chick-fil-A seem like a persecuted martyr. He theorizes that since Chick-fil-A does not do nearly as well in liberal communities as it does in conservative areas, it was a calculated gamble to trade the loss of liberal consumers for an increased gain from conservative consumers. I'm not sure I agree with his thesis, but it's interesting. It would surely be a cynical ploy on Dan Cathy's part. And I personally think he is a better business man than to intentionally sabotage any of his consumer base. Also, even if such a strategy worked in here in the U.S., it would backfire internationally. It would be foolish to jeaopardize the proliferation of their business overseas simply to make short term gains in America. I also think Chick-fil-A has built their company on integrity, and such a cynical move would be contrary to the values and integrity upon which their company was founded. But then again, I might be very naive.

As for the "LGBTQ..." activists, their militancy and intolerance seem to always backfire. I'm a vegetarian, but I think I'm gonna have me a Chick-fil-A sanwich this week.  Wink

Selam

I'm not sure their "militancy and intolerance" always backfire, what with Coors and all.

And it's pretty sad and petty that you would do something just to spite gay people.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »

Someone quipped: "Is metropolitn Philip going to give a dispensation for chicken on Wed. to  all our culture warriors?" Plus it's the beginning of the fast, you know.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 11:17:01 AM »

it's not to spite gay people, but a show of support for Chik-fil-a for standing up for their principles and for the norms of traditional Christian marriage in the face of a barrage of pro-gay and pro-gay marriage hatred and ridicule.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

In the alternate universe of culture warrior ism it,s heterosexuals that are discriminated most often by homosexuals.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »

Selam

I'm not sure their "militancy and intolerance" always backfire, what with Coors and all.

And it's pretty sad and petty that you would do something just to spite gay people.
Serving notice that those pushing the gay agenda (the majority of whom are not gay, btw) shall not dictate to us is not spiting them.  It is rather sad and petty that someone should think we should ask "how high" when they say "jump"!

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

In the alternate universe of culture warrior ism it,s heterosexuals that are discriminated most often by homosexuals.
Why be so specific?  It is the deviate dictating the norm (something Sen. Moynahan called "defining down deviency") in general, not just this instance, that needs to be fought.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

Someone quipped: "Is metropolitn Philip going to give a dispensation for chicken on Wed. to  all our culture warriors?" Plus it's the beginning of the fast, you know.
I'm going Tueday.  Again.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »

Is it really any worse than the labor that went into giving them Coke and chocolate shakes? If you're gonna boycott, boycott, but this seems like an odd reason to provoke such action. From what I can tell, there's been no active discrimination against gays from Chick Fil-A, just some rhetoric and questionable donations by its leadership. I can't say I approve, but I can't say I'm moved to care a great deal either.

Selam

Serving notice that those pushing the gay agenda (the majority of whom are not gay, btw) shall not dictate to us is not spiting them.  It is rather sad and petty that someone should think we should ask "how high" when they say "jump"!
So they have an agenda now, do they? Sounds ominous.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »

Please don't waste your fried chicken experience on the garbage Chick-Fil-A puts out.
As much as I agree with you, it's amazing just how awfully packed Chick Fil A is every hour of the day. I can't even take a lunch break there because I'll sit in the dive thru for 30 minutes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

I'm going Tueday.  Again.
make sure it's before vespers; also are you aware to what extent the southern baptist co venting and organizations associated with it ( to which is reasonable to think our pro-family filthy capitalist donates) is involved in proselytism in eastern Europe ? They built a very large university in Oradea ( Romania) for instance,
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »

I will admit that liberals sure do look mighty hypocritical right now saying CFA is intolerant. Yet it seems to me liberals are intolerant of the freedom of speech. I also would like some confirmation if CFA is funding anti-gay marriage groups as well.

There's only like 3% of adults in America who classify themselves as LGBT, why give them such a loud voice when they hardly represent a majority?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »

And how do you define "anti-gay rhetoric?" Would simply stating that homosexuality is a disorder or that the acts involved are sins be deemed by you "anti-gay rhetoric," even if there is no condemnation of persons or fomenting of violence or discrimination?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

Promotes or enables anti-gay rhetoric?  All they've said was they don't support homosexual marriage.  If we have a problem with that, then we have a problem with the Orthodox Church. 

Indeed.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

I will admit that liberals sure do look mighty hypocritical right now saying CFA is intolerant. Yet it seems to me liberals are intolerant of the freedom of speech. I also would like some confirmation if CFA is funding anti-gay marriage groups as well.
Snopes.
There's only like 3% of adults in America who classify themselves as LGBT, why give them such a loud voice when they hardly represent a majority?
Minority interests having a voice is important in a democracy. I do think it's a tad greedy of them to take the whole spectrum of refracted light as a symbol though.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

I ate there in grad school. They had an outlet in the cafeteria--perhaps it's been shut down by kiss-ins, I don't know now. But part of my job in the cafeteria was working there and in proximity to the place and after that, I didn't eat there because of cross-contamination issues. Perhaps real Chick-Fil-As not staffed by students are better run.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

To expound on this would take us to politics it would seem.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »

Not everyone shares our food snobbery. We can only pray they learn before it's too late.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »

The whole purpose of the fast is to eat fast food.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: