Author Topic: Gay Marriage, Testament laws, and Chick-Fil-A  (Read 52241 times)

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
Re: Gay Marriage, Testament laws, and Chick-Fil-A
« Reply #405 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »
There is a Chick-Fil-A on campus where I work, constantly tempting me with its tasty morsels.

I have access to all the free CFA i want on a daily basis. Including soft serve machines and milkshakes. This is not the easiest place to be an Orthodox Christian during Lent! We do have a good salad bar, and plenty of veggies with each meal also. Like I said, one of the top guys in the whole company is Orthodox. And there are a handful of us scattered around as well.

If I can do Lent here, with only limited failures, Ill be a saint by Pascha!

Suggest they start offering baked potato like Wendy's and Roy Rogers.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2015, 06:09:17 AM »
I am resurrecting plenty of old threads today!

I just recently started working at the Chick-Fil-A headquarters in Atlanta. What a great place to work! I dont know a company that treats their employees, including the gay ones, better than this one. They provide free breakfast and lunch (they actually cook whole meals. so its not like youre eating chicken sandwiches everyday and getting huge), and are the nicest people you could ever be around. I am very grateful to spend my days here.

Just wanted to share, because I recently had a discussion with some folks who are still "boycotting" because CFA "doesnt align with their views" and theyre mad. (I suppose that is their right!) Its sad to hear, because the leadership here is full of the nicest, most loving, compassionate people anywhere, and they do so much good around the world.

How much did they pay you for writing that?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
There is a Chick-Fil-A on campus where I work, constantly tempting me with its tasty morsels.

I have access to all the free CFA i want on a daily basis. Including soft serve machines and milkshakes. This is not the easiest place to be an Orthodox Christian during Lent! We do have a good salad bar, and plenty of veggies with each meal also. Like I said, one of the top guys in the whole company is Orthodox. And there are a handful of us scattered around as well.

Not a bad idea. However, the issue isnt a lack of Lent-friendly food in the cafeteria. The issue is walking past the chicken sandwiches, ice dream, shakes, etc. all the time. Its a little tougher to resist when its free.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:19:05 AM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »

Bring back the Wendy's taco bar! (After Lent, of course.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:35:16 AM by biro »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »

Not a bad idea. However, the issue isnt a lack of Lent-friendly food in the cafeteria. The issue is walking past the chicken sandwiches, ice dream, shakes, etc. all the time. Its a little tougher to resist when its free.

If there's no temptation, then there can be no victory!  Still,  I understand your predicament.  And, remember, it's what comes out of the mouth that should be our guiding principle for the Great Fast.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »

If there's no temptation, then there can be no victory!  Still,  I understand your predicament.  And, remember, it's what comes out of the mouth that should be our guiding principle for the Great Fast.

Indeed....as my bishop once said (which paraphrases I think a couple Fathers), "....just don't eat each other."  The first part though was, "Fasting is good.  You ought to fast.  But if you have to eat meat, then fine.  Just don't eat each other." Or something like that.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #411 on: February 26, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »

Indeed....as my bishop once said (which paraphrases I think a couple Fathers), "....just don't eat each other."  The first part though was, "Fasting is good.  You ought to fast.  But if you have to eat meat, then fine.  Just don't eat each other." Or something like that.
He may have been paraphrasing St. Basil. Good advice for all of us struggling against our passions during this holy season of repentance.

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #412 on: July 12, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »
""So in regards to Chick-Fil-A, the vast majority may not realize they also support the unlivable wages many of the workers face and who will probably not see a penny of the boost in profits the company has made since this "controversy", and instead of being charitable towards the workers we instead would rather be charitable to an ideology.""

Well, working a McDonalds, or Chick Fil A are any other business offers a Market driven wage scale.  These jobs were never meant to be a life long endeavour but a stepping stone to higher positions.  Those retired make use of their wages as a supplement to their 401k, those who are smart enough can get into managerial positions within the company.  And dont forget if you think you are getting screwed wage wise there are other job alternatives.  In this country we go by the Market economy to set wages.  If you find a better working wage at another place it is to you advantage to go elsewhere. This is how it works here.  Having the government set wages that mess with profit and losses always causes problems for the workers.  Secondly, any profits from this temporary boost in sales will no doubt go into opening more stores providing more employment opportunities.  Complain all you want but this is how it works here.  Open you own business and find out how this economy works.....

Oh really, is that why many of those who were in a career now are forced to work at stepping stone jobs just to try to support themselves? Take my father for example. Hardest working man in America, got his way all the way up the corporate ladder and was on the top paid execs. He got laid off, is in his 50s, and has about 192 job applications submitted to jobs similar to what he had before, for two years now.

But now he has to take the work from those that need those stepping stone jobs, you know the jobs that weren't supposed to be the life long endeavor. But now he doesn't have any retirement plans because his company filed bankruptcy robbing him years worth of pay.

And I could careless how this economy runs, because clearly it is not to the benefit of everyone. We need to change our thinking because soon enough once these greedy corporations adopt things like automation, get ready to see a huge spike of unemployed workers.

Maybe then we can get enough of the working class to revolt against you bourgeois.

I dont think you should worry so much about automation. I had a boss tell me once how soon there would be no need for workers because of automation. That was about thirty years ago, he's long dead and so far, it still has not happened.
Update:
Thanks To 'Fight For $15' Minimum Wage, McDonald's Unveils Job-Replacing Self-Service Kiosks Nationwide
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/11/29/thanks-to-fight-for-15-minimum-wage-mcdonalds-unveils-job-replacing-self-service-kiosks-nationwide/#5ab1e184fbc6
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »
Thanks To 'Fight For $15' Minimum Wage, McDonald's Unveils Job-Replacing Self-Service Kiosks Nationwide
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/11/29/thanks-to-fight-for-15-minimum-wage-mcdonalds-unveils-job-replacing-self-service-kiosks-nationwide/#5ab1e184fbc6

Great news! Not only will some fast food jobs remain, but newly added engineering, manufacturing, and servicing jobs created by this will most likely be even better paying.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:57:59 PM by Asteriktos »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #414 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:49 AM »

Great news! Not only will some fast food jobs remain, but newly added engineering, manufacturing, and servicing jobs created by this will most likely be even better paying.

Better (fewer) paying jobs, for sure than the guy that gets my order wrong.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"