OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox sabbath  (Read 3712 times) Average Rating: 0
thetruth

OC.net

« on: November 26, 2004, 06:56:41 PM »

What day do orthodox churches beleive is and rest on as a Sabbath?

I think Catholics have decided to celebrate Sabbath on the eight day, but what about other Orthodox, do some differ?

Also what is the orthodox belief on the day of crucifiction, do they all beleive He was crucified on the sixth day, and rose on the eighth?

As i think Catholics do.

Would appreciate info on orthodox church beleifs on this.

Thanks in advance.

May God's Spirit lead us all.
Paul.
icxn
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 07:52:33 PM »

Well there are different kinds of sabbaths:

1. Sabbath (Isa. 66:23) = the dispassion of the deiform soul that through practice of the virtues has utterly cast off the marks of sin.

2. Sabbaths (Exod: 31:13) = the freedom of the deiform soul that through the spiritual contemplation of created nature has quelled even the natural activity of sense-perception.

3. Sabbaths of sabbaths (Lev. 16:31) = the spiritual calm of the deiform soul that has withdrawn the intellect even from contemplation of all the divine principles in created being, and through an ecstasy of love has clothed it entirely in God alone and through mystical theology has brought it altogether to rest in God.

4. There is also another mystical sabbath, but there is no need to confuse you ... more that is Wink

Sorry couldn't resist...  quoting St. Maximus

As for the crucifiction, sixth and eight day is correct.

icxn
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 07:52:37 PM »

The Orthodox Church has never abandoned Saturday as being the Sabbath.  References to Saturday as being the Sabbath are found in the texts of Holy Saturday Matins and in the vesperal portion of the Vesperal Liturgy of Basil the Great prescribed for Holy Saturday:  

"The great Moses mystically foreshadowed this day, when he said:
God blessed the seventh day.
This is the blessed Sabbalth.
This is the day of rest,
on which the only-begotten Son of God
rested from all His works..."

This is why Saturday remains a special day to us, and not just Sunday.  Duirng lent in the Orthodox Church, Saturdays as well as Sundays are set apart as not being part of lent, unlike Western Church practice.  On Saturdays and Sundays in lent, we continue our lenten discipline of fasting etc., but the liturgical services do not have a penitential character.

Sunday is the eighth day, the day of the Lord, as well as being the first day.  It is quite different from the Sabbath because of this eschatological character.  Of course, paradoxically, it is also the first day of the week.  In the Orthodox Church, we are quite fond of antimonies (paradoxes) like this.

I don't know when Sunday became a "day of rest" in the East.  It certainly fills this function for us now in North America, and we have no qualms about working on Saturday, that's for sure.    I do know that Sunday wasn't a day of rest in the early Church.  I imagine early Hebrew Christians continued to rest from work on Saturday, and I don't know if Hellenistic Christians followed their lead or not.  

Clear as mud, right?  Wink

I hope that someone else can offer some insights on historical development.

BTW, welcome to the board!

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
thetruth

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 08:32:39 PM »

Thanks both.

Can't say i understood much you said icxn.

Thanks for stating the sixth and eighth day are the crucifiction and ressurection, could you please further inform me if this is of all orthodox churches, and if there are quotes from the early fathers on this?

Pravoslavbob, so Sabbath as seventh day as of rest was the Sabbath by early Christians?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 10:36:41 PM »

Pravoslavbob, so Sabbath as seventh day as of rest was the Sabbath by early Christians?

Certainly for the early Christians who were of Jewish origin.  I imagine it must have been the same for early Gentile Christians, but I do not know for sure.  And I don't know how long this lasted for.  Does anyone else have something to add to this?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:39:17 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 12:24:56 AM »

Saturday is the Sabbath, but Sunday is still the day set aside and of import in the OC. Seventh-Day Adventist theology, for example, is not Orthodox at all. Sunday is the 8th day, the day of the resurrection, the Lord's day. We are in the 8th day, belonging to the Kingdom, and recognize Sunday as such. This is the view of the Orthodox Church (it is one Church despite the many different-named independantly operated administrative sections) and always has been. Early Christians probably still observed the Sabbath but Sunday was the day of Christian worship, and (to reference an Apostle) even Paul upbraids those who hypocritically worship with the Jews in the temple on Saturday and then come for communion on Sunday.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 02:56:59 AM »

In Ethiopia it is common to wake up on Saturday and read Psalms and the ten commandments. Afterward reading from the Apistles and the Gospels before any work or eating begins.

I beleive that this due to the fact that we have a strong connection with the Hebrew traditions and that Christianity therefore is not viewed as a "seperate" faith but the living promise of the one true faith of the beleivers of the God of Abraham , Issac and Jacob.

Saturday in my research still is to be respected as it always has been but with the understanding that the Messiah has come. I find very little difference throughout the Orthodox Community.

We tend to forget that even in America which is mostly protestant Saturday and Sunday are not business days. This is a clear sign of the point at hand. It is up to the faithful however as well as the Clergy in the various parishes to keep a spiritual focus when considering the sabath. It seems that many people treat saturday like a day of work.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »

I beleive that this due to the fact that we have a strong connection with the Hebrew traditions and that Christianity therefore is not viewed as a "seperate" faith but the living promise of the one true faith of the beleivers of the God of Abraham , Issac and Jacob.

I LOVE this belief. I have used it often in decriptions of the Faith in conversations with both Protestant and Jewish acquaintences.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiloah
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb.11:1

www.balamand.edu.lb/ th...JoTheklaCan.htm

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 02:34:45 PM »

... even Paul upbraids those who hypocritically worship with the Jews in the temple on Saturday and then come for communion on Sunday.

Would you please be so kind and give us the Scripture reference so that we can all see the entire context?

Thank you much,
Shiloah

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" 2.Cor.4:6

"One thing is education: that we learn how to love God. "
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 05:22:54 PM »

[interrupt thread]

Amdetsion,

Hello and welcome to the forum! Cheesy

In Christ,
Aaron

[/interrupt thread]
thetruth

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 07:15:48 PM »

Would you please be so kind and give us the Scripture reference so that we can all see the entire context?

Thank you much,
Shiloah

I'd aprecaite this also.

The thing i find a little hard to accept is i'm told the Sabbath, as in the original seventh day Sabbath has not been abandoned, but then i'm told you work on this Sabbath but not the eighth day.

The eighth day seems to have taken the Sabbath's place, as the day of rest as the seventh day was.
I understand you see the eighth day now as a Holy day, but it just seems to me somewhere that it has not just become a Holy day, but replaced the Sabbath in it's stead.

I think i heared Catholic's have admitted this, and didn't want the Sabbath observed as the Sabbath anymore, as it was a Jewish custom.

Probably Jews were trying to force people to observe Jewish customs, and maybe there was some misunderstanding somewhere, with the not worshipping with the Jews and observing their customs meaning just that.

But as our Christian scriptural customs today truly hold very foundational deep meanings in Yshua, isn't this true also of the Jewish scriptural customs?

Paul.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 12:50:56 AM »

As I mentioned earlier, there is a parodox at play here.  We don't really observe Saturday as the Sabbath, even though we recognize it as such in ways that I wrote about  before.  It's true that Sunday has always been the Christian day of worship, but in the early Church, people still worked on Sunday.  Sunday has become our day of rest, but it is in no way understood theologically as being the Sabbath.  

I've learned something from some of the posts here.  I hope others can bring more info. to this discussion and enlighten us further.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 12:52:17 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:11 AM »

The 4th Century regional Laodocian Council's 29 canon says:

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Canon 2 of the Sixth Ecumenical Council says:
we ratify all the rest of the sacred Canons promulgated by our holy and blissful Fathers, to wit: ...those who held a Council in Laodicea

Please respond with your thoughts!!!!!
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »

Additionally, Eusebius says:
"Everything that was related to the Sabbath we (the church) transferred to the Lord's Day, Sunday"
Comentary on the Psalms in Minge, Partologia Graeca, Vol. 23, Col. 1171.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »

St. Ignatius to the Magnellians 9-10:
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death— whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master— how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? And therefore He whom they rightly waited for, having come, raised them from the dead.
Let us not, therefore, be insensible to His kindness. For were He to reward us according to our works, we should cease to be. Therefore, having become His disciples, let us learn to live according to the principles of Christianity. For whosoever is called by any other name besides this, is not of God. Lay aside, therefore, the evil, the old, the sour leaven, and be changed into the new leaven, which is Jesus Christ. Be salted in Him, lest any one among you should be corrupted, since by your savour you shall be convicted. It is absurd to profess Christ Jesus, and to Judaize. For Christianity did not embrace Judaism, but Judaism Christianity, that so every tongue which believes might be gathered together to God.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Seventh Day Adventist Millerite sabbath 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: