OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:08:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on freemasonry and Orthodoxy  (Read 2354 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: January 10, 2003, 03:48:18 AM »

I have heard rumors that some Orthodox patriarchs such as Meletios Metaxakis, Athenagoras, and Bartholomaios of Constantinople were/are masons.  My question is there any truth to these rumors?  By truth, I mean evidence that these people were masons.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 06:31:21 PM »

There's no evbidence about these Patriacrchs and their relations with freemassonry. The rumours, though, exist because of the close relations between the Church and the governments of Turkey and Greece, which after the desintegration of the Ottoman Empire have been fully controled by freemassonry.

This could have started before. At the time of Kyril Lukaris, this Patriarch had a very close friendship with the protestant and freemasson, George Mayer, who was in charge of "religious affairs" and had some interventions in the Church, meaning to "protestantize it". A new cathecism with calvinist tendences appeared, but it was never proved that the Patriarch had issued that cathechism.

It is clear that Christianity and Freemassonry are antithetical. Freemassonry has been condemned by the Orthodox Church, though I would wish a more fierce condemnation of it. Even the OCA has said this:

http://aggreen.net/guidelines/guide05.html#Fraternal
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 08:46:05 PM »

I once saw a photo purporting to show Patriarch Meletios Metaxakis dressed in full Masonic regalia--and this while he was Ecumenical Patriarch.  I believe the photo is in an old issue of "Orthodox Life," published by the St. Job of Pochaev Brotherhood at Holy Trinity Monastery (ROCOR), Jordanville, NY.  The accompanying article, as I recall, alleged very strongly that Patriarch Meletios was a member of the Masonic Order.  

Hypo-Ortho
Mexican
Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 02:06:09 AM »

I was explained that the reality of that picture, is that he was receiving a condecoration from a University, and he was dressed as a member of a University who receives the title of doctor. Huh
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 02:12:01 AM »

I was explained that the reality of that picture, is that he was receiving a condecoration from a University, and he was dressed as a member of a University who receives the title of doctor. Huh

That explanation doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny.  When an Orthodox hierarch receives a degree, honorary or otherwise, he normally wears his riassa, klobuk and panagia.  The doctoral hood is simply placed over these episcopal/monastic garments.

Hypo-Ortho
Mexican
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 05:30:01 PM »

Patriarch Meletios was quite liberal, but this doesn't prove he was a mason. Do you agree with the ROCOR's possition?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: