OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Holy Spirit  (Read 453 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: July 28, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »

Was the Holy Spirit around in some form or other before Christ or was it new?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

^The Holy Spirit is a "He." He is an eternal person of the Triune Godhead who existed before all ages. He inspired the prophets of the OT. He was not a "new creation" of some sort.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:25:48 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

As Severian said, the Holy Spirit is coeternal and consubstantial with the Father, just like Jesus Christ.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." (Genesis 1:1-2)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The Holy Spirit always existed with the Father and Son as far as our limited perspective is concerned.  However, in the Old Testament, there was no universal indwelling of the Spirit, rather, God spoke and moved through selected Prophets and Patriarchs as He willed.  The Holy Spirit moved through people in the Old Testament, including through "heathens" such as King Cyrus or even Pharaoh.  However, after Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came to ALL baptised Christians.  The Holy Spirit further indwells inside Christians who have been baptised and Christmated, even if they don't realize this or even abuse the privilege. 

However, the Fathers of the Church have titled the Spirit "The Giver of Life" and so it can also be assumed that the Holy Spirit has always been a mechanism of the life force behind human beings since Adam, however the Holy Spirit didn't necessarily speak through everyone just because He blessed them with life, this gift of life to God was enough alone Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »

Existed forever. God is timeless and uncreated. The Holy Spirit is a part of God. Therefore the Holy Spirit is timeless and uncreated.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:53:04 AM »

^^what they said about eternality and stuff.

My understanding is that the Holy Spirit indwells Christians in a new way.

Our lives/souls are being prepared for the life of the Coming Age in which we will have Pneumatized Bodies, σῶμα πνευματικόν (Soma Pnevmatikon), as St. Paul speaks about in 1 Corinthians 15. Our current bodies are constituted through a fallen soulish existence that will not abide with us forever, which is why we must re-constitute ourselves as sons of the Father through Christ and in the Holy Spirit.

In other words, Pentecost wasn't just for show.  Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »

As others have suggested, the Holy Spirit was certainly operative, albeit in a different, limited way, prior to the advent of Christ. At our first creation, the Holy Spirit was fully accessible to man, but, as St Cyril of Alexandria taught, the fullness of the indwelling Grace of the Holy Spirit was lost when He departed from man as a consequence of the fall.

St Cyril identifies the Baptism of Christ in the Jordan as the decisive point at which the Spirit signifies His return to the human race. In responding to an Arian argument that in receiving the Holy Spirit at His baptism Christ demonstrated that He did not, therefore, naturally possess Him and was in some way in need of Him, St Cyril explains that Christ received the Spirit only so that He, "might preserve it in our nature and [so that] He who knew no sin might again inroot in us the grace which had left us…by reason of sin…" (Commentary on the Gospel of St John).

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags: Trinity Holy Spirit 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: