OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:15:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 5129 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »

Canada got screwed! Shameful.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:53 AM »

Selam

Can you be more specific? One could attribute this phrase to many events in her history...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:06:38 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »

Selam

Can you be more specific? One could attribute this phrase to many events in her history...

Sorry. I'm referring to the Canadian women's soccer team that got robbed in their match against the Americans. It was horrible.

http://news.ca.msn.com/ontario/hamilton/olympics-canada-feels-robbed-after-close-loss-to-americans

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

Selam

Sorry. I'm referring to the Canadian women's soccer team that got robbed in their match against the Americans. It was horrible.

http://news.ca.msn.com/ontario/hamilton/olympics-canada-feels-robbed-after-close-loss-to-americans

Selam
But in all fiarness, the refs were pretty awful, for both teams

SCREW BON JOVI!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »

Selam

Selam
But in all fiarness, the refs were pretty awful, for both teams

Indeed.

And I find it funny that Herdman (Canadian coach) said that the US played too hard and yet in just the first 90 seconds his team committed two very physical fouls.

My long-distance love affair with Alex Morgan continues...

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

Y'all need to take off your red, white, and blue blinders. This was not a case of the officiating merely being bad all the way around. The penalty for holding the ball too long and the hand ball call seemed to be intentional calls in favor of the U.S. Terrible.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »

Tomorrow at 5:15pm (EST) is USA vs. AUS in men's basketball...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »

Y'all need to take off your red, white, and blue blinders. This was not a case of the officiating merely being bad all the way around. The penalty for holding the ball too long and the hand ball call seemed to be intentional calls in favor of the U.S. Terrible.

Selam

I cheer for Canada, and I know that, while those calls sucked, so did a lot of other calls that helped Canada out.

SCREW BON JOVI!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Mexico is playing for their first try at a Gold ever after being the first team these Olympics to score against the smothering defense of Japan who hadn't allowed even a single goal.  Then they scored two more Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Mexico is playing for their first try at a Gold ever after being the first team these Olympics to score against the smothering defense of Japan who hadn't allowed even a single goal.  Then they scored two more Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Viva Mexico! I'd love to see Brazil and Mexico in the finals. A classic rivalry. If Mexico were to beat Brazil for the Gold it would be "fiesta perpetua" in Mexico!

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »

Screw Mexico

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »

Screw Mexico

now, now

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »

Bench Kobe

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »

Screw Mexico

u mirin u no it

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Viva Mexico! I'd love to see Brazil and Mexico in the finals. A classic rivalry. If Mexico were to beat Brazil for the Gold it would be "fiesta perpetua" in Mexico!

Selam
you DO really hate the states dont you gebre, cheering for the US' biggest rivals

SCREW BON JOVI!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Selam
you DO really hate the states dont you gebre, cheering for the US' biggest rivals

I don't hate brother. I love Mexico because I spent a lot of time there and the people were extremely kind to me. After the African teams, I always pull for Mexico in soccer.

Selam

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »

Selam

And missing the call against Tancredi for intentionally stomping on Carli Lloyd's head was just a small oversight?  Tancredi has a bad reputation for being a dirty player and this proved it.

For a team that said the US women "played too hard," the Canadian women surely stepped up to the alleged challenge.

The officiating was terrible all around.  Things usually balance out in the end.  Most commentary on soccer officiating is like believing in psychics.  People focus on the "true" prophecies and forget all the BS that never came to fruition.  If an official is bad, he's bad.  Period.

If we need to "take our red, white, and blue blinders off," you need to put that erection against anything American away
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:18:01 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »

Selam

And missing the call against Tancredi for intentionally stomping on Carli Lloyd's head was just a small oversight?  Tancredi has a bad reputation for being a dirty player and this proved it.

For a team that said the US women "played too hard," the Canadian women surely stepped up to the alleged challenge.

The officiating was terrible all around.  Things usually balance out in the end.  Most commentary on soccer officiating is like believing in psychics.  People focus on the "true" prophecies and forget all the BS that never came to fruition.  If an official is bad, he's bad.  Period.

If we need to "take our red, white, and blue blinders off," you need to put that erection against anything American away

I obviously am not allowed to pull for any team against the beloved USA. I thought America was all about "freedom of choice."

Selam

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

Selam

The officiating was terrible all around.  Things usually balance out in the end.  Most commentary on soccer officiating is like believing in psychics.  People focus on the "true" prophecies and forget all the BS that never came to fruition.  If an official is bad, he's bad.  Period.

I obviously am not allowed to pull for any team against the beloved USA. I thought America was all about "freedom of choice."

Selam

And here we go with the martyr complex, right on time. 

It's not a question of pulling for another team.  If you recall, I was a complete Spain mark during the World Cup.  It's a question of your CONSTANT negativity about the US teams, no matter what the sport.

All you do is say, "BOOO USA!  BOOO USA!".  That's not pulling for the other team, that's just being a negative jackass.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:16:16 AM by Schultz » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Selam

I don't hate brother. I love Mexico because I spent a lot of time there and the people were extremely kind to me.

Selam

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »

Selam

Of course, if the US won, they must have cheated. Besides, I don't see how Canada really got screwed since one of their players (tancredi, I think) stomped on the face of a U.S. defender and wasn't ejected. If I paid you, could you spew any more condescension towards the U.S.?  Or is that "work" of being a jerkass strictly pro bono?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:51:00 AM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

Selam

Canada screwed itself. Shameful.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »

I am also getting tired of folks committing extreme, unsportsmanlike fouls against the American athletes and not being punished during the game in which they occurred. So far, they have:

- sucker punched
- stomped on the face, and
- hit below the belt.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:19 PM »

I am also getting tired of folks committing extreme, unsportsmanlike fouls against the American athletes and not being punished during the game in which they occurred. So far, they have:

- sucker punched
- stomped on the face, and
- hit below the belt.

That is ok, those international teams forget something, we've got Lebron James.  Lebron and Blake Griffin are perhaps the most intentionally and hard fouled players in the NBA over the past few years.  Lebron has one and only one response, win games in heroic fashion.  Like tonight for instance, FIRST TRIPLE DOUBLE IN OLYMPIC BASKETBALL HISTORY.  We like he chose to let our game do the fighting Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »

Selam

The officiating was terrible all around.  Things usually balance out in the end.  Most commentary on soccer officiating is like believing in psychics.  People focus on the "true" prophecies and forget all the BS that never came to fruition.  If an official is bad, he's bad.  Period.

Selam

It's not a question of pulling for another team.  If you recall, I was a complete Spain mark during the World Cup.  It's a question of your CONSTANT negativity about the US teams, no matter what the sport.

All you do is say, "BOOO USA!  BOOO USA!".  That's not pulling for the other team, that's just being a negative jackass.

Nope, I'm calling BS on you bro. I keep trying to move on and talk about the Olympics. But anytime I pull for any team besides the USA or point out my opinion that Canada got screwed, I'm attacked. But hell, I'm used to it.

Care to move on now and discuss the Olympics?

I love Usain Bolt. But I guess my love for Usain Bolt means that I hate the American athletes.  Roll Eyes

Selam

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2012, 01:02:34 AM »

Selam

Selam

Nope, I'm calling BS on you bro. I keep trying to move on and talk about the Olympics. But anytime I pull for any team besides the USA or point out my opinion that Canada got screwed, I'm attacked. But hell, I'm used to it.
What's there to get defensive about, Gebre? When you attack as you do, you're going to get push-back. It's a law of physics.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »

Peter stop using such foul language: "push-back" police

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:19 AM »

Peter stop using such foul language: "push-back" police
Quit kissing orthonorm's ****. police
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

Russian gymnast Kseniia Afanaseva holds a portrait of an Orthodox Saint [St. Ksenia of St. Petersburg]  after her performance during the artistic gymnastics women's floor exercise final at the 2012 Summer Olympics, Tuesday Aug. 7, 2012, in London. Afanaseva placed the portrait near the mat prior to her performance. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »

US won in women's soccer!

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

^Gebre's response:  USA must have cheated.  Only explanation possible. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

I'm quite capable of speaking for myself. I have never accused the USA of cheating, so please don't mischaracterize my views. Thanks.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »

Akimori post that article here please. I'm on my phone ATM.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »

I'm quite capable of speaking for myself. I have never accused the USA of cheating, so please don't mischaracterize my views. Thanks.
Why not? You do it to everyone else.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2012, 01:51:48 AM »

I'm guilty of lots of things, but I try hard not misrepresent other people's views or put words in their mouths.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »

^Gebre's response: USA must have cheated. Only explanation possible.

I'm guilty of lots of things, but I try hard not misrepresent other people's views or put words in their mouths.
1. That's not consistent with my experiences of sparring with you.
2. When people do misrepresent your views, why do you feel the need to always defend yourself, often without offering a substantive statement of what you really meant to say? Can't you just grow a thicker skin, or oil your feathers, or something like that?
3. I thought you just wanted to talk about the Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:05:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »

I know this happened hours ago, but I just watched Usain Bolt run the 200 meter.  Man, he can run!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »

From akimori: There's that American humility we all know and love.

Inspire a generation? Been there, done that, says Gabby
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/inspire-a-generation-been-there-done-that-says-gabby-20120809-23xim.html

So how does she feel about being America's new sweetheart? Well, pretty good actually.
Advertisement

"I think it sits very well," Douglas said on Thursday. "It's definitely fitting because everyone just says they love my smile so why not use it on the floor? I was kind of America's sweetheart leading into the Games and it made me feel so good that America loved me."

Good lord. Now there is an argument you can stand behind Gebre.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »

^Gebre's response: USA must have cheated. Only explanation possible.

1. That's not consistent with my experiences of sparring with you.
2. When people do misrepresent your views, why do you feel the need to always defend yourself, often without offering a substantive statement of what you really meant to say? Can't you just grow a thicker skin, or oil your feathers, or something like that?
3. I thought you just wanted to talk about the Olympics.

Brother, if I were thin skinned I would not have stayed on this forum for this long.

Now, back to the Olympics...

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »

Usain Bolt is da man!

I root for Jamaica because of the whole Cool Runnings syndrome.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »

From akimori: There's that American humility we all know and love.

Inspire a generation? Been there, done that, says Gabby
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/inspire-a-generation-been-there-done-that-says-gabby-20120809-23xim.html

So how does she feel about being America's new sweetheart? Well, pretty good actually.
Advertisement

"I think it sits very well," Douglas said on Thursday. "It's definitely fitting because everyone just says they love my smile so why not use it on the floor? I was kind of America's sweetheart leading into the Games and it made me feel so good that America loved me."

Good lord. Now there is an argument you can stand behind Gebre.

My 8 year old daughter is taking gymastics, and she likes Gabby Douglass. Even though I wanted the Russians to win (not out of any hatred for America, but because I pull for Orthodox countries when I can), I was happy for Gabby. Seems like a sweet girl, and my duaghter was happy she won.  Smiley

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2012, 02:45:55 AM »

Usain Bolt is da man!

Usain Bolt may be the most dominant athlete in any sport ever. He is certainly the greatest pure sprinter of all time. Pretty cool to see such an historical achievement. Gotta love his positivity and joy as well. Awesome.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2012, 02:48:41 AM »

Usain Bolt is da man!

Usain Bolt may be the most dominant athlete in any sport ever. He is certainly the greatest pure sprinter of all time. Pretty cool to see such an historical achievement. Gotta love his positivity and joy as well. Awesome.

Selam

Great name too. Lightning Bolt.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:12 AM »

Has any one ever asked a Muslim what it feels like to see a man with a Muslim name make the sign of the cross before a race?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »

Has any one ever asked a Muslim what it feels like to see a man with a Muslim name make the sign of the cross before a race?

You sound like a blast at parties . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: sports 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: