OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 5208 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

We watched men's team diving and women's volleyball tonight.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »

I agree with you. I still haven't learned to control my sarcasm. I could have stated my opinion with less ridicule.

You think?  Sarcasm is not a gift you possess. Just state what you think and leave it at that.

Just kick me while I'm down. Gosh. Sad

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:50 AM »

Some kid from my high school is swimming or something. And a friend's dad is coaching Portuguese swimmers.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »

I see the U.S. men's basketball team just set an Olympic single-game record for points scored in their 156-73 win over Nigeria. Shocked
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I see the U.S. men's basketball team just set an Olympic single-game record for points scored in their 156-73 win over Nigeria. Shocked

"So.. what was all that head we were woofing against the 2012 USA Team Scottie?"

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »

A proud day for America, and a thrilling moment in Olympic history. Roll Eyes

America needs to lobby to make stock car racing an Olympic sport. Just imagine how bad we could beat Nigeria in that event!

Selam
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:11:12 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »

German babes are the best.

fixed  Cheesy

On topic, you know that you are hyperdox when you live in the US but cheer for Russia and Greece

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »

America needs to lobby to make stock car racing an Olympic sport. Just imagine how bad we could beat Nigeria in that event!
It just proves that Nigeria needs to develop a better men's basketball team. If we had sent a team of collegians to play them, we would have still whooped their sorry butts, only by a margin of 40 points instead of 83. Is it our fault that they suck?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »

I watched that whole game and the only way you can sum it up and do it just is by noting the fact that Carmelo Anthony scored 37 points in fourteen freaking minutes

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

It just proves that Nigeria needs to develop a better men's basketball team. If we had sent a team of collegians to play them, we would have still whooped their sorry butts, only by a margin of 40 points instead of 83. Is it our fault that they suck?

Like I said, let's lobby to make stock car racing an Olympic sport. And football too. Let's send an NFL "dream team" to demolish the Nigerias of the world. And why stop there? Let's make war an Olympic sport and bomb the world to oblivion. After all, it's not our fault if they can't defend themselves. Might makes right!

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2012, 01:07:07 AM »

Watching women's volleyball. I love this sport.

i wonder if you like it for the same reason I do  angel

I'll bet it's her watch you boys are liking.  Am I right?  Wink

Oh, um, yeah, yeah yeah, of course!  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »

Like I said, let's lobby to make stock car racing an Olympic sport. And football too. Let's send an NFL "dream team" to demolish the Nigerias of the world. And why stop there? Let's make war an Olympic sport and bomb the world to oblivion. After all, it's not our fault if they can't defend themselves. Might makes right!
Get off your freakin' high horse, Gebre. Angry You're pulling the same exact s**t for which you apologized on Monday.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:45 AM »

Get off your freakin' high horse, Gebre. Angry You're pulling the same exact s**t for which you apologized on Monday.

No, I don't think I am. Yes, it may be a bit sarcastic, but it makes a point. Disagree with me all you wish, but don't accuse me of being on a "high horse" in this instance simply because you have a different perspective. Seems to me that you're the one on your USA high horse, disparaging weaker athletes and coutries that don't have the resources or manpower to compete with your beloved "dream team" superstars. So with respect, check yourself brother.

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »

I'm sorry Gebre, but you will not see a perfect game of basketball like that maybe never again. It was Harlem Globetrotter-esque without the goofery.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:11 AM »

German babes are the best.

fixed  Cheesy

On topic, you know that you are hyperdox when you live in the US but cheer for Russia and Greece

Remember, there are other Orthodox nations in the world, besides Russia and Greece.

Don't forget to cheer for Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:08 AM »

No, I don't think I am. Yes, it may be a bit sarcastic, but it makes a point. Disagree with me all you wish, but don't accuse me of being on a "high horse" in this instance simply because you have a different perspective. Seems to me that you're the one on your USA high horse, disparaging weaker athletes and coutries that don't have the resources or manpower to compete with your beloved "dream team" superstars. So with respect, check yourself brother.

Selam
I'm agreeing with GMK on this one. I see no pride/sportsmanship/honour/good manners/etc. in the defeat of an opponent to the point of embarrassment on the world stage. The US basketball team is not alone in this. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of Olympic stats can provide multiple examples.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 08:09:58 AM »

I was raised (mostly through influence of my grandfather) in the school of thought of "don't embarrass your opponents". However, what were they supposed to do, miss on purpose, or stand with the ball until the clock shot ran out and hand the ball over? They had to keep playing, it's not their fault that everything was going in. There were no "3rd string" low caliber guys to put in.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »

I'm sorry Gebre, but you will not see a perfect game of basketball like that maybe never again. It was Harlem Globetrotter-esque without the goofery.

But what glory is there in dominating such weak competition? It's like heavyweight champions. The greats are determined not only by their record, but by the quality of their competition. The USA "dream teams" could win every game 200 - 0, and that wouldn't prove greatness in my book. I know I'm in the minority here, but I define greatness by sustained success over quality opposition, not by destroying inferior opponents on a short term stage.

But hey, each to his own. If this is what gets you excited, enjoy it. I could gather up some guys in my neighborhood and go to the private school around the corner and dominate their high school basketball team. It might make us feel good to beat the crap out of some spoiled rich kids, but it wouldn't prove anything. We prefer the challenge of playing against one another, the best against the best. It's more exciting, it's much more fun, and it's much more rewarding when you win. But that's just how I came up. I can't expect others to share my competative values. It doesn't make me right, but it sure doesn't make me wrong.  Wink

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »

I was raised (mostly through influence of my grandfather) in the school of thought of "don't embarrass your opponents". However, what were they supposed to do, miss on purpose, or stand with the ball until the clock shot ran out and hand the ball over? They had to keep playing, it's not their fault that everything was going in. There were no "3rd string" low caliber guys to put in.

The point is, these guys should defer to our high school players or at least a "dream team" of college freshman. The USA would still win gold 98% of the time, but at least the games would be a bit more competative and the USA wouldn't look so ridiculous for showing off in this manner. But alas, such is not the "American way." Might makes right and dollars determine values.

Selam

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »

I also agree with GMK.  Not for the points so much as for the USA team are professionals.  College students should be competing, not people whose only purpose in life is to compete at the sport.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »

I also agree with GMK.  Not for the points so much as for the USA team are professionals.  College students should be competing, not people whose only purpose in life is to compete at the sport.

Every country has professionals competing in all the sports.  Let's not put all the blame on the US for stacking the deck when it's allowed (although let me be clear: it's a pretty sad thing to do).  Blame the IOCC for allowing professionals to compete in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:21:31 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »

I also agree with GMK.  Not for the points so much as for the USA team are professionals.  College students should be competing, not people whose only purpose in life is to compete at the sport.

Every country has professionals competing in all the sports.  Let's not put all the blame on the US for stacking the deck when it's allowed (although let me be clear: it's a pretty sad thing to do).  Blame the IOCC for allowing professionals to compete in the first place.

Agreed brother.

Selam

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »

BREAKING NEWS:

From the occasional post medal escapade interview I've heard, Medal Winners agree:

Winning the medal feels good.
Seeing your flag is awesome.
It feels good.
A lot of hard work went into their journey.
There are too many people to thank.
It feels amazing.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »

What Summer Games sports have you played (in a relatively organized manner, high school and beyond, no recreational nonsense!):

Wrestling
Soccer

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

I've only done recreational nonsense  Grin

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

BREAKING NEWS:

From the occasional post medal escapade interview I've heard, Medal Winners agree:

It feels good.
It feels amazing.

Tyler Clary did one better yesterday.  When asked how it felt, he said, "I can't put it in words small enough for you to broadcast."

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

BREAKING NEWS:

It feels good.
It feels amazing.

Tyler Clary did one better yesterday.  When asked how it felt, he said, "I can't put it in words small enough for you to broadcast."

Awesome.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 10:07:03 AM »

How did they let them score 73?

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »

The backlash against Gabby Douglas for having the audacity to be in public w/o having her hair done is hilarious.  It plainly shows where priorities are in the United States.

In Defense of Gabby Douglas' Hair
Gabby Douglas is proudly representing her country in the Olympics. She's poised under pressure, performing gravity-defying athletic feats in front of an international audience. She's 16 and the second female African American U.S. gymnast to ever make the team. But instead of lauding her achievements, some people are slamming her for... not getting her hair done.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

The backlash against Gabby Douglas for having the audacity to be in public w/o having her hair done is hilarious.  It plainly shows where priorities are in the United States.

Gabby Douglas is proudly representing her country in the Olympics. She's poised under pressure, performing gravity-defying athletic feats in front of an international audience. She's 16 and the second female African American U.S. gymnast to ever make the team. But instead of lauding her achievements, some people are slamming her for... not getting her hair done.

This has left the twitter world, entered the mainstream hair world of the internet, and had reached the streets where I live.

I've heard some the stupidest talk about this. I'll spare everyone that talk and my reaction to it.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

But what glory is there in dominating such weak competition? It's like heavyweight champions. The greats are determined not only by their record, but by the quality of their competition. The USA "dream teams" could win every game 200 - 0, and that wouldn't prove greatness in my book. I know I'm in the minority here, but I define greatness by sustained success over quality opposition, not by destroying inferior opponents on a short term stage.

But hey, each to his own. If this is what gets you excited, enjoy it. I could gather up some guys in my neighborhood and go to the private school around the corner and dominate their high school basketball team. It might make us feel good to beat the crap out of some spoiled rich kids, but it wouldn't prove anything. We prefer the challenge of playing against one another, the best against the best. It's more exciting, it's much more fun, and it's much more rewarding when you win. But that's just how I came up. I can't expect others to share my competative values. It doesn't make me right, but it sure doesn't make me wrong.  Wink

Selam
You're hung up on JUST ONE GAME, Gebre. There are other opponents in these Olympics much better than Nigeria whom the U.S. team has not yet played.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

That  is an American black cultural thing, I'm not even sure mainstream American white folks would even remotely understand the hoopla Wink

I was actually just thinking how weird it is for the women to have to compete in full make-up, whether in the gym, on the track, or even in the pool! What if the men had a such cumbersome attention to fashion!

Props to her though, it is nice to see something other than  lily white faces, and I knew that girl would win from the first time she hit the floor this week.  She just had the blend of dedication, confidence, and above all else, outlandish skill!!
I watched that whole game and the only way you can sum it up and do it just is by noting the fact that Carmelo Anthony scored 37 points in fourteen freaking minutes

I missed this game, but when I looked at the box score and the stat lines, that is the EXACT same conclusion I came up with.  As much as I really don't like Melo, I have to give it up to him, that was a flawless performance at a top-tier level.  (That, or Nigeria has REALLY bad outside defense, and considering that US had 29 3s like they were the 2009 Phoenix Suns I suppose its a little bit of both)

To bro GMK, yes, the US dominates FIBA, so what? We get our behinds handed to us in other events, Americans should rightfully dominate something shouldn't they?  Besides, again, the international b-ball is making serious gains, almost every team has at least one or two NBA players, there are several all-stars and NBA champions out there, and almost ALL the players have had some college experience in the US.  I'd say that within 10 years, FIBA will be more successful that every other international sport, and will in fact catch up with FIFA.  After all, players for basketball teams in TURKEY make as much as NBA players now, let alone in Europe Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:00:24 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

Anyone else see that goalkeeper get a knee to the face in the USA/NZL soccer match? Ouch!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:39:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »

Anyone else see that goalkeeper get a knee to the face in the USA/NZL soccer match? Ouch!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »

Congrats to the NBA... uh, I mean, USA... on that spectacular win over France. What a hard fought victory. They should be proud. They might even go on to win a gold medal, unlike the NBA... I mean USA... team of 2004. You have to be proud as an American to watch us do in basketball what we do economically, politically, and militarily to the rest of the world. It's all about domination baby! Survival of the fittest! It's just a shame that the Olympics won't let us compete in football (American version that is). Just imagine how much fun it would be to watch an NFL "dream team" destroy countries like Argentina, Mexico, England, and Russia in football. And I bet we could even seriously hurt their players too. Wouldn't that be fun?! I mean, after all, it's all about domination, right? America is bigger, wealthier, and better than most all other competing countries (had to strike through that "better" part, since better is based on "good," and morality has no place in a contest based on survival of the fittest.) Anyway, go USA! What a great accomplishment. If you win the gold, you deserve it. You NBA stars don't have much else, so that gold medal should really mean a lot to you. You will have destroyed the weaker nations of the world. Good for you. Now let's get our NFL "dream team" together. That would be no sillier than what's going on now.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to watching the United States mens' soccer team in this 2012 Olympics! Oh, wait... I forgot... they didn't qualify. Well, no worries America: if you can't compete, you can always colonize.

Selam

This is a sports event and I do not believe that athletes in general are at all interested in your points. So, this is yet another instance where you slam the United States because she is superior in something, even sports.   Frankly, I am getting tired of your whining.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »

I saw that and I think the referee should have awarded a penalty kick. This is the second game in a row where a blatant foul by a team opposing the US was not called.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »

I saw that and I think the referee should have awarded a penalty kick. This is the second game in a row where a blatant foul by a team opposing the US was not called.

Can I get this clip in context?

I played soccer and while never Celticfan's level, I did earn an athletic scholarship for my play and I also refereed for a long time, even at the college level.

In my time, I was knocked out at least four times as goalie, and all through fair play by the other team.

FIFA has become ueber-protective of the goalie over the years IMHO, but I would like to see this play in context as this clip could easily be considered fair play in my opinion.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

I tried to find a longer clip on youtube (when I originally posted it) but each vid had been pulled due to copyright claims.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »

Here's a slightly longer clip (for as long as it's up)...

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

"So.. what was all that head we were woofing against the 2012 USA Team Scottie?"

Notable USA Olympic Teams Through 3 Games
1992   2012
W-L   3-0   3-0
PPG   110.0   121.3
PPG diff   +48.0   +52.3
Largest win   68   83

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »

No way that is a foul on the American player. It is fair play.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

Dude if that is NOT a foul, surely it should be.  Kneeing somebody in the face, even if on accident, is serious business.  All the machismo of "I've been kneed in the face too so buck it up" is not going to change that.  In the NFL culture, machismo overpowered safety and now countless player are admitting that they've hid concussions and other head injuries from coaches and officials to keep playing or out of a sense of "its not really that bad."  In high school football we are also just starting to discover the massive scale of head-injuries which occur routinely, and further starting to realize the potentially long-term effects both NFL and even just high-school playing has on the brain.  We may just find a dispproportionate amount of dementia and other degenerative disorders amongst current retiring and elder footballers.  FIFA than shouldn't just let them play, they should make a statement by even ejecting players who are so careless in play that they steam-roll over other players.  After all, these folks don't wear any kind of padding to speak of!  With the increase in athleticism and physical prowess amongst footballers, soccer is becoming an increasingly masochistic sport if you ask me Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »

Dude if that is NOT a foul, surely it should be.  Kneeing somebody in the face, even if on accident, is serious business.  All the machismo of "I've been kneed in the face too so buck it up" is not going to change that.  In the NFL culture, machismo overpowered safety and now countless player are admitting that they've hid concussions and other head injuries from coaches and officials to keep playing or out of a sense of "its not really that bad."  In high school football we are also just starting to discover the massive scale of head-injuries which occur routinely, and further starting to realize the potentially long-term effects both NFL and even just high-school playing has on the brain.  We may just find a dispproportionate amount of dementia and other degenerative disorders amongst current retiring and elder footballers.  FIFA than shouldn't just let them play, they should make a statement by even ejecting players who are so careless in play that they steam-roll over other players.  After all, these folks don't wear any kind of padding to speak of!  With the increase in athleticism and physical prowess amongst footballers, soccer is becoming an increasingly masochistic sport if you ask me Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

You don't understand much about soccer then. If that wasn't a goalie but a player playing another position, the kneed would get the foul.

You cannot engage in play that puts others at risk or yourself to the point that such risk might deter the player from playing as they might like.

When it comes to goalies they are given greater latitude to put themselves at risk. Frankly, this goalie's play half a second later on her part is FOUL PLAY on her. She went to the ground to contest a ball in POSSESSION of the American player. By the time she obstructed the American's play, the ball was clearly not playable by the goalie, this is problematic.

It was fair play as the ball was playable as the goalie went into her slide toward the ball.

The American didn't intentionally knee her and had no recourse than to do what she did. This is all slowed down BTW. In RT, stuff happens much more quickly.

Again the American had possession and control. When a goalie decides to contest another player in this manner, it can get ugly.

Been there, done that.

Great call on part of the official. Evidently, play was stopped to check for serious injuries (this is NOT required) and was given a restart via a drop ball.

Goalies have gained too much protection over the years. Glad to see when a goalie decides to challenge possession they are not given a white card so to speak to do whatever they want.

Again this is coming from someone who played aggressively as a goal keeper and took their lumps for doing so.  

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:11:43 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

Padding

Padding in no sport is ever the answer.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »

So, did you know there was a "gatecrasher" during the opening ceremony?

Apparently it caused quite the stir in India.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:44:36 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags: sports 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: