OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 05:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 4995 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: July 28, 2012, 12:45:10 AM »

discuss.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »

Why have I been watching Olympics soccer matches all week and yet they only had the "opening ceremony" last night?  Grin Huh

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »

Why have I been watching Olympics soccer matches all week and yet they only had the "opening ceremony" last night?  Grin Huh

Why did I watch the opening ceremony and was left saying ' so when is the real opening ceremony?'  laugh that was so boring, with few exceptions.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 02:12:09 AM »

I think I saw Kobe Bryant among the US athletes.  I don't understand.  I thought professional athletes couldn't be in the Olympics.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:40 AM »

I think I saw Kobe Bryant among the US athletes.  I don't understand.  I thought professional athletes couldn't be in the Olympics.

It used to be that way, but sadly the United States began allowing pros to compete. I wish they wouldn't. Maybe the first "Dream Team" in 1992 was OK. Do it once and then go back to giving amateurs a chance. America's best high school players could easily compete for a medal. These NBA stars have everything already, give some high school and college kids a shot. That's my feeling about it. I bet they would have done better than that disgrace in 2004 when America's NBA stars only won a bronze medal. That was hilarious to me. I'm still laughing about that one.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:53:07 AM »

That changed over 20 years ago, which allowed the U.S. to send a basketball team of the best players then playing in the NBA (e.g., Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, David Robinson, Charles Barkley, etc.) to wipe the floor with everyone else. Professional players have been competing in the Olympics ever since then.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:59:36 AM »

It used to be that way, but sadly the United States began allowing pros to compete. I wish they wouldn't. Maybe the first "Dream Team" in 1992 was OK. Do it once and then go back to giving amateurs a chance. America's best high school players could easily compete for a medal. These NBA stars have everything already, give some high school and college kids a shot. That's my feeling about it. I bet they would have done better than that disgrace in 2004 when America's NBA stars only won a bronze medal. That was hilarious to me. I'm still laughing about that one.
I disagree. The Olympics are about displaying our best athletic talent, period. I don't think we should send our second rate talent just because they happen to be amateurs while our most talented athletes stay at home and watch. Just think of how much basketball has improved around the world because we sent our best pros to the Olympics in 1992. We showed them how to play the best basketball possible, and the rest of the world wanted to beat us so badly that they learned from us and improved their games. There's nothing wrong with that. Once a nation like Spain can put together a basketball team that beats our best playing at their best, then I say we tip our hats to them and say, "job well done."
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

Why did I watch the opening ceremony and was left saying ' so when is the real opening ceremony?'  laugh that was so boring, with few exceptions.

This.  These opening ceremonies are getting more and more insipid.  They are nothing but filler between the commercials.  And even they were insipid.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »

Go butterface Jordyn Wieber!!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »

I saw Anthony Davis walking in with the US. I'm thinking we'll do pretty well in basketball.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »

Watching women's volleyball. I love this sport.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »

She is gorgeous.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »

She is gorgeous.

who is this?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »

i wonder if you like it for the same reason I do  angel
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »

btw Phelps laid an egg, as expected. That's what 2+ years of lounging around, smoking pot, and entertaining strippers will get you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »

who is this?
Darya Klishina.

Russian babes are the best.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »

I prefer Luxembourg's flag bearer. http://www.mariemuller.info/Marie_Muller/Willkommen/Willkommen.html

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »

Wieber got knocked out from qualifying for a medal by her best friend and teammate. That has to sting. Sucks.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 05:48:34 AM »

Congrats to the NBA... uh, I mean, USA... on that spectacular win over France. What a hard fought victory. They should be proud. They might even go on to win a gold medal, unlike the NBA... I mean USA... team of 2004. You have to be proud as an American to watch us do in basketball what we do economically, politically, and militarily to the rest of the world. It's all about domination baby! Survival of the fittest! It's just a shame that the Olympics won't let us compete in football (American version that is). Just imagine how much fun it would be to watch an NFL "dream team" destroy countries like Argentina, Mexico, England, and Russia in football. And I bet we could even seriously hurt their players too. Wouldn't that be fun?! I mean, after all, it's all about domination, right? America is bigger, wealthier, and better than most all other competing countries (had to strike through that "better" part, since better is based on "good," and morality has no place in a contest based on survival of the fittest.) Anyway, go USA! What a great accomplishment. If you win the gold, you deserve it. You NBA stars don't have much else, so that gold medal should really mean a lot to you. You will have destroyed the weaker nations of the world. Good for you. Now let's get our NFL "dream team" together. That would be no sillier than what's going on now.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to watching the United States mens' soccer team in this 2012 Olympics! Oh, wait... I forgot... they didn't qualify. Well, no worries America: if you can't compete, you can always colonize.

Selam

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:57:41 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »

Congrats to the NBA... uh, I mean, USA... on that spectacular win over France. What a hard fought victory. They should be proud. They might even go on to win a gold medal, unlike the NBA... I mean USA... team of 2004. You have to be proud as an American to watch us do in basketball what we do economically, politically, and militarily to the rest of the world. It's all about domination baby! Survival of the fittest! It's just a shame that the Olympics won't let us compete in football (American version that is). Just imagine how much fun it would be to watch an NFL "dream team" destroy countries like Argentina, Mexico, England, and Russia in football. And I bet we could even seriously hurt their players too. Wouldn't that be fun?! I mean, after all, it's all about domination, right? America is bigger, wealthier, and better than most all other competing countries (had to strike through that "better" part, since better is based on "good," and morality has no place in a contest based on survival of the fittest.) Anyway, go USA! What a great accomplishment. If you win the gold, you deserve it. You NBA stars don't have much else, so that gold medal should really mean a lot to you. You will have destroyed the weaker nations of the world. Good for you. Now let's get our NFL "dream team" together. That would be no sillier than what's going on now.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to watching the United States mens' soccer team in this 2012 Olympics! Oh, wait... I forgot... they didn't qualify. Well, no worries America: if you can't compete, you can always colonize.

Selam

Is the knock of the US Olympic soccer team really necessary?  Lots of teams didn't qualify, including Germany and Italy.  I suppose they can't compete on the international level, either.  Roll Eyes

You do this every time there's a big international sports competition.  You talk loads of $#!+ on the US national team because you object to American political policy.  Here's a clue, Gebre.  I do, too, more than you can know.  Yet, I don't find the need to belittle the accomplishments of athletes who neither set such policy nor even endorse it.  Grow up.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:16:50 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »

Wieber got knocked out from qualifying for a medal by her best friend and teammate. That has to sting. Sucks.

I agree with what Bela Karolyi said after the televised prelims last night.  The top 24 should be in the finals, period.  This two per country thing is BS.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »

I agree with what Bela Karolyi said after the televised prelims last night.  The top 24 should be in the finals, period.  This two per country thing is BS.

Agreed.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »

Selam

Is the knock of the US Olympic soccer team really necessary?  Lots of teams didn't qualify, including Germany and Italy.  I suppose they can't compete on the international level, either.  Roll Eyes

You do this every time there's a big international sports competition.  You talk loads of $#!+ on the US national team because you object to American political policy.  Here's a clue, Gebre.  I do, too, more than you can know.  Yet, I don't find the need to belittle the accomplishments of athletes who neither set such policy nor even endorse it.  Grow up.

I knock the system, not the true amateurs who are competing. Yes, I do make fun of U.S. men's soccer because of their arrogance. And yes, I make fun of these NBA players who think they're accomplishing something great by beating up on far weaker opponents. If I were a multi-millionaire NBA star, I would say, "Let some high school or college player take my place. I've got all I need, and I can travel the world anytime I want. And I've already proven myself. Give somebody else a shot." But alas, such is not the "American way."

I have all the respect in the world for American amateurs who are competing; I just don't respect them more than all the other amateur athletes from all the other countries who are competing. 

Selam

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »

and she does judo! double bonus  angel
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »

Gabby made a HUGE mistake on the floor routine. The judges were way too generous to her after that.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »

Selam

You do this every time there's a big international sports competition.  You talk loads of $#!+ on the US national team because you object to American political policy.  Here's a clue, Gebre.  I do, too, more than you can know.  Yet, I don't find the need to belittle the accomplishments of athletes who neither set such policy nor even endorse it.  Grow up.

I knock the system, not the true amateurs who are competing. Yes, I do make fun of U.S. men's soccer because of their arrogance. And yes, I make fun of these NBA players who think they're accomplishing something great by beating up on far weaker opponents. If I were a multi-millionaire NBA star, I would say, "Let some high school or college player take my place. I've got all I need, and I can travel the world anytime I want. And I've already proven myself. Give somebody else a shot." But alas, such is not the "American way."
Fortunately for all those who want to see the best athletic talent the world has to put on display, you are NOT a multi-millionaire NBA star. BTW, I have some news for you. Our women's soccer team is made up of professionals. Those competing in the Olympic tennis tournament are professionals (e.g., Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Venus and Serena Williams, etc.). Additionally, the reason we send our professionals is because all the other countries do.

I have all the respect in the world for American amateurs who are competing; I just don't respect them more than all the other amateur athletes from all the other countries who are competing.  

Selam
You could learn to shut your trap sometimes. I'm with Schultz on this. Your self-righteous schtick gets old after a while.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:50:02 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »

I still don't understand why they didn't put her at the end of the rotation. Girl is the best gymnast in the world.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

i wonder if you like it for the same reason I do  angel

I'll bet it's her watch you boys are liking.  Am I right?  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »

Selam

You do this every time there's a big international sports competition.  You talk loads of $#!+ on the US national team because you object to American political policy.  Here's a clue, Gebre.  I do, too, more than you can know.  Yet, I don't find the need to belittle the accomplishments of athletes who neither set such policy nor even endorse it.  Grow up.

Fortunately for all those who want to see the best athletic talent the world has to put on display, you are NOT a multi-millionaire NBA star. BTW, I have some news for you. Our women's soccer team is made up of professionals. Those competing in the Olympic tennis tournament are professionals (e.g., Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Venus and Serena Williams, etc.). Additionally, the reason we send our professionals is because all the other countries do.

Selam
You could learn to shut your trap sometimes. I'm with Schultz on this. Your self-righteous schtick gets old after a while.

I agree with you. I still haven't learned to control my sarcasm. I could have stated my opinion with less ridicule. I ask forgiveness from those I have offended. Pray for me, a sinner.

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Congrats to the NBA... uh, I mean, USA... on that spectacular win over France. What a hard fought victory. They should be proud. They might even go on to win a gold medal, unlike the NBA... I mean USA... team of 2004. You have to be proud as an American to watch us do in basketball what we do economically, politically, and militarily to the rest of the world. It's all about domination baby! \

You realize that France has six NBA players and four of them are starters right?
Why have I been watching Olympics soccer matches all week and yet they only had the "opening ceremony" last night?  Grin Huh

Why did I watch the opening ceremony and was left saying ' so when is the real opening ceremony?'  laugh that was so boring, with few exceptions.
Its British, they have a euphemism for boring, its called tasteful Wink

stay blesed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:17:44 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »

I didn't see the whole thing....but, I rather enjoyed the moments I got to see.

I LOVED the flying doves (on bicycles).  I thought that was rather cool.

I could have done without the flirting couple roaming from decade to decade through all the music styles...but,....

I also thought the flame on the speedboat with Beckham driving was rather nice....all lit up....flying through the darkened city....and then the spiraling fireworks as it approached the stadium.  The fireworks were actually rather nice.

The kids lighting the torch was also good!  Let's hear it for the future, not just the past....and all the multiple flames ending in one, was also kind of nice.

Although everyone holding hands and swaying to music around a large flame did give me the creeps for a second....kind of paganistic....as the whole flame ritual is from the get go.

However, I think the games are a great way to bring the world together, with no political baggage. 

I was thrilled to see so many different nations, some who are actively warring against each other....all come together for the event.  I heard the Iraqi flag-bearer was crying.

Imagine how some of these athletes who live in war torn environments, poverty, disease...feel when they see the rest of the world, and the way the other people live? 

Oh, and it was nice to see the queen....and her grandkids.  Anyone see Charles?  I didn't see him there.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 01:03:53 AM »

Oh yes, Charles is up to his usual antics. He's gotten quite the visibility lately...

http://themetapicture.com/prince-charles/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:04:08 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »

That's a funny photo.

I saw that a few days ago.

The "men" are making a dash for it, but, Camilla is taking it all in stride.  One of her better photos.

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »

These were the "doves" of peace.

I thought it was really cool!

Their "wings" actually moved up and down, and their tails flew out behind them.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:22:08 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 02:13:13 AM »

Really like the Russian uniforms.  Smiley

Awed by the beauty of your virginity
and the exceeding radiance of your purity,
Gabriel stood amazed, and cried to you, O Mother of God:
"What praise may I offer you
that is worthy of your beauty?"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »

Here's what gets me.
1. That badminton is actually an Olympic sport.
2. That 8 players would get kicked out of the women's tournament for actually trying to lose their matches.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:57:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »

Here's what gets me.

So I take it that you would like badminton to join this list?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »

Here's what gets me.

I don't care if badminton goes on that list, but softball should be taken off! Smiley

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

I saw Poland win in volleyball the other day at Buffalo Wild Wings.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

I agree with you. I still haven't learned to control my sarcasm. I could have stated my opinion with less ridicule.

You think?  Sarcasm is not a gift you possess. Just state what you think and leave it at that.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

Here's what gets me.
2. That 8 players would get kicked out of the women's tournament for actually trying to lose their matches.
Because badminton is endlessly entertaining.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

Here's what gets me.

Badminton is the David Caruso of sports.  And it has a World Federation?  Come on!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Here's what gets me.

Dude, have you ever played a match against a professional level Badminton player? It was a very demanding and exhausting sport physically as well as mentally.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »

Here's what gets me.

tug of war would be awesome!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »

Here's what gets me.

not as entertaining as horse ballet.
Tags: sports 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: