OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:42:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Catholic patriarchs  (Read 1482 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: July 27, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

Hi all.

I have a question I'd like to pose to the Oriental Orthodox posters.

I often think about the fact that ECs in Eastern Europe have no patriarchs (or, at least, didn't before the 20th century -- many people now regard the head of the UGCC as Patriarch). It seems that a large part of the reason for that is the Vatican's fear of damaging Catholic-Orthodox relations.

On the other hand, 3 of the 4 Oriental Catholic Churches* do have patriarchs, namely the Coptic Catholic Church, the Syrian Catholic Church, and the Armenian Catholic Church. So I was wondering how the Oriental Orthodox view this, if anyone would care to share.

* not an official term, I just mean those Catholic churches which parallel Oriental Orthodox Churches.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »

Patriarchs preside over those Churches whose Orthodox counterparts are presided by Patriarch too.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »

Patriarchs preside over those Churches whose Orthodox counterparts are presided by Patriarch too.

Actually, the Romanian Catholic Church has no patriarch, even though there is a Romanian Orthodox Patriarch.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »

On the other hand, 3 of the 4 5 Oriental Catholic Churches* do have patriarchs, namely the Coptic Catholic Church, the Syrian Catholic Church, and the Armenian Catholic Church.

FTFM.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »

On the other hand, 3 of the 4 5 Oriental Catholic Churches* do have patriarchs, namely the Coptic Catholic Church, the Syrian Catholic Church, and the Armenian Catholic Church.

FTFM.
I think the primate of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church has also titled himself Catholicos, which is equivalent to Patriarch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »

Well, the Copts don't like it.  Our relations with the Coptic Catholics are cordial, but nonetheless, the history of the formation of the Coptic Catholics is something we Coptic Orthodox lament.  It's no secret that many of our bishops do not shy away from condemning many of the doctrines of the Latin/Coptic Catholic Church.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

Well, the Copts don't like it.  Our relations with the Coptic Catholics are cordial, but nonetheless, the history of the formation of the Coptic Catholics is something we Coptic Orthodox lament.  It's no secret that many of our bishops do not shy away from condemning many of the doctrines of the Latin/Coptic Catholic Church.

So then, would y'all be less bothered by the presence of the Coptic Catholic Church if it wasn't a patriarchate?

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »

Why would that matter?

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »

It's no secret that many of our bishops do not shy away from condemning many of the doctrines of the Latin/Coptic Catholic Church.
It's also no secret that many of our Bishops freely embrace them. Roll Eyes

Anyway, while the relations between the Orthodox and Catholics in Egypt may be somewhat strained, I was once moved reading an article that a Coptic Catholic family hid an Orthodox Priest in their home so as to help him escape from sectarian riots. Obviously, this family took a great risk in doing what they did and I was unaware that such fraternity existed among the Catholic and Orthodox Christian Copts in Egypt.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »

So then, would y'all be less bothered by the presence of the Coptic Catholic Church if it wasn't a patriarchate?

Why would that matter?

Okay, I guess that's a No.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »

Why?  After all, he's not allowed by the Vatican to be a pope in Alexandria.  Which has the side benefit of keeping the whole charade honest.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

After all, he's not allowed by the Vatican to be a pope in Alexandria. 

Well, yes I suppose that's true. On the other hand, as a Patriarch he has less restrictions than he would if he were a Major Archbishop.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »

Well, yes I suppose that's true. On the other hand, as a Patriarch he has less restrictions than he would if he were a Major Archbishop.
In Coptic Orthodoxy the term "Archbishop of Alexandria" is simply another title of the Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:27:44 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »

with a "supreme pontiff" as overlord, it doesn't make a lick of difference.  The Melkites found that out at Vatican I.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »

Why would that matter?

Okay, I guess that's a No.

How did you not know that?

In fact, what's with you and Eastern Catholics?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »

Why would that matter?

I guess I'm just dumb.

But then again, isn't everybody who asks a question here dumb? You guys certainly do a good job of making inquirers feel dumb at any rate. :thumbs up:

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »

^It's OK. You cannot possibly make more of a fool out of yourself than I have. I thought your question was actually pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:09:11 PM by Severian » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »

Sorry, I never got a chance to answer your question.  To be honest, perhaps we might be less bothered, but then again, we don't know how it matters.  Is the Catholic patriarchate of Alexandria equal to the Papacy of Rome as it was in ancient Christianity?  For the more educated of us, we seem to see that a removal doesn't even matter, since the ecclesiological rank of the Latin Papacy seems strange to us, as if being a bishop of Rome is a demotion to the Papacy of the Vatican, and thus the patriarchate of Alexandria being there or not makes no difference, since it is not in the same sense a Patriarch of Alexandria as the Greek and Coptic Orthodox Churches of Alexandria see it.

Nevertheless, we might see the removal of the whole Coptic Catholic Church as the Roman Catholic Church staying true to her beliefs that the Coptic Orthodox are like a sister church to them and they do not seek to steal away our Orthodox Christians into their fold as if they were a different Church.  But today, what is professed by the lips of the Pope and what is practiced shows of course a big difference, for when one Coptic Catholic Patriarch is removed or passes away, another one is replaced rather than allowed to be absent for solidarity with the Coptic Orthodox.  This shows nothing but double talk, and we should just be honest with each other.  If you seek to replace your Coptic Catholic patriarchs, do so without saying we are "One Church," but as the practice of founding the Coptic Catholic Church began, the heretics you think we are just as the heretics we think you are (forgive the harshness of that phrase).  And I say this not only to your Church of course, but also to our Church, where some bishops might have recently taken a more open approach of unity with Coptic Catholics sometimes.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

Why would that matter?

I guess I'm just dumb.

But then again, isn't everybody who asks a question here dumb? You guys certainly do a good job of making inquirers feel dumb at any rate. :thumbs up:

I'd figured you'd been around this forum long enough to know that Orthodox objections to Eastern Catholicism are based more on the perceived heretical and sheep-stealing natures of such groups than church politics about patriarchates or whatever. Sorry if that offended you.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:48:34 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

Sorry also if my question made you feel dumb, Peter J. It wasn't meant to. It really was just a question, not a swipe, because as Mina has subsequently posted, we don't really see how it would matter.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »

Hi all. I just happened to come across this old thread, and it occurred to me to ask: Is it correct to use the term "Oriental Catholics" to mean Coptic Catholics, Armenian Catholics, etc. (as I did in the thread title)? Or does that give the impression that they are non-Chalcedonian?

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

Hi all. I just happened to come across this old thread, and it occurred to me to ask: Is it correct to use the term "Oriental Catholics" to mean Coptic Catholics, Armenian Catholics, etc. (as I did in the thread title)? Or does that give the impression that they are non-Chalcedonian?

It's just as much as using the term "Eastern" or "Byzantine Catholic" to talk about Greek, Ukrainian, Russian, etc.  I don't think there's any confusion with them as "non-Chalcedonian", although I must say, it seems that some Coptic Catholics do venerate Coptic Orthodox saints, post-Chalcedonian.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »

It's just as much as using the term "Eastern" or "Byzantine Catholic" to talk about Greek, Ukrainian, Russian, etc.  I don't think there's any confusion with them as "non-Chalcedonian", although I must say, it seems that some Coptic Catholics do venerate Coptic Orthodox saints, post-Chalcedonian.

Well, I think "Byzantine Catholic" is pretty clear, meaning only those Catholics that use the Byzantine Rite. On the other hand, "Eastern Catholic" sometimes (but not always) means only the Byzantine Catholics -- e.g. when people say "What are the differences between Eastern Catholics and Oriental Catholics?" and the like.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »

Well, I think "Byzantine Catholic" is pretty clear, meaning only those Catholics that use the Byzantine Rite. On the other hand, "Eastern Catholic" sometimes (but not always) means only the Byzantine Catholics -- e.g. when people say "What are the differences between Eastern Catholics and Oriental Catholics?" and the like.

Well, I'll be honest with you.  You'll hear this repeatedly, "Eastern" and "Oriental" make no difference.  The reason why there's a difference is that you have both churches calling themselves "Eastern."  For the OO's, we call ourselves Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantines, "Roman Orthodox" as opposed to "Roman Catholic."  For the EOs, they consider themselves "Eastern" in reference to the Roman Catholic, which is in the West.

So, the designation EO and OO became a result of the WCC trying to differentiate between our groups.  As a result, you have two groups calling themselves the same exact name, but in different English words.  In addition, those Catholic groups that correspond to the EO and OO become EC and OC respectively.  I guess one way you can put it is that the EC has a Chalcedonian heritage from the Byzantines and the Slavs, and the OC has a non-Chalcedonian heritage from the Copts, Armenians, and Syriacs, but both EC and OC believe in the Papal infallibility.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

Well, I'll be honest with you. 

Well it's about time!

You'll hear this repeatedly, "Eastern" and "Oriental" make no difference.  The reason why there's a difference is that you have both churches calling themselves "Eastern."  For the OO's, we call ourselves Eastern Orthodox, and the Byzantines, "Roman Orthodox" as opposed to "Roman Catholic."  For the EOs, they consider themselves "Eastern" in reference to the Roman Catholic, which is in the West.

So, the designation EO and OO became a result of the WCC trying to differentiate between our groups.  As a result, you have two groups calling themselves the same exact name, but in different English words.  In addition, those Catholic groups that correspond to the EO and OO become EC and OC respectively.  I guess one way you can put it is that the EC has a Chalcedonian heritage from the Byzantines and the Slavs, and the OC has a non-Chalcedonian heritage from the Copts, Armenians, and Syriacs, but both EC and OC believe in the Papal infallibility.

(Sorry I just couldn't resist saying that.  Smiley  Grin I meant it jokingly, as you may already realize.)

You make some good points there. But for the moment I actually want to ask something that I should have asked before: When someone says Oriental Catholic, do you assume that they're excluding the Maronite Church, the Chaldean Church, and the Syro-Malabar Church? Because it seems like some include them under "Oriental Catholic" by virtue of the fact that they aren't Byzantine.

Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »

Actually, the Romanian Catholic Church has no patriarch, even though there is a Romanian Orthodox Patriarch.
The Roman Catholic Church in Serbia has archbishop as a first hierarch.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »

You make some good points there. But for the moment I actually want to ask something that I should have asked before: When someone says Oriental Catholic, do you assume that they're excluding the Maronite Church, the Chaldean Church, and the Syro-Malabar Church? Because it seems like some include them under "Oriental Catholic" by virtue of the fact that they aren't Byzantine.
That's a good question.  I assume so, but honestly again  Wink I don't know.

PS Honesty twice in a thread, something unheard of! lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:52:05 PM by minasoliman » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

Why lump West Syrians (Maronites) and East Syrians (Chaldeans and Syro-Malabar) together? Or, to put it another way, if "Oriental Catholic" is supposed to be a kind of 'Catholic equivalent' to the Oriental Orthodox, then the Maronites would be in if you subscribe to the theory that they were originally a section of the Syriac Orthodox (a theory I have read several times, but have no opinion on), but the Chaldeans and Syro-Malabar would not be, as the Nestorians are their own thing, in communion with nobody since getting the hammer dropped on them at Ephesus (an oversimplification of history, for sure, but you see what I mean).

That said, when I was Catholic I definitely thought of those all as Orientals, as they are all Syriac churches, and there is no surviving EO Syriac Church (so, basically like you said: because they aren't Byzantines).

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

I should add that I'm not 100% certain about that last point. In particular, I can find a lot of uses of the phrase "Oriental Catholic" that imply that it is distinct from "Eastern Catholic" (for example, googling "Oriental Catholic" yields a great many results that have the phrase "Eastern and Oriental Catholic") but without specifying, for example, which category the Chaldeans belong to.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: