OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:39:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donating books  (Read 430 times) Average Rating: 0
vorgos

Faith: Orthodox

« on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »

Hi guys,

In a about one and a half weeks I am moving overseas, and I need to get rid of a stack of brand new Orthodox books that I have bought but not read. They are the standard intro books, by T. Ware, K. Markides, and so on.

I gave a bunch to my local library and they seemed to happy to receive them but when checking their catalogue, I cannot find them. It has been over a week since I donated them.

Another library, didn't want to know them, even though I made it clear they were new....

What's the deal. Are libraries too fussy about books now or is Orthodox literature not interesting enough?

FYI I am currently in Melbourne Australia.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »

it may take them serveral weeks to catalouge them.

Proverbs 22:7
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »

You could have donated them to a parish bookstore, Greek or otherwise. And cataloguing books can take a while, depending on the library's workload.
vorgos

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »

You could have donated them to a parish bookstore, Greek or otherwise. And cataloguing books can take a while, depending on the library's workload.

LBK, I have been thinking of that too. There is a new church being built near by, I'm planning to talk to the priest since I still have a few more to give away.

I just thought, being introductory books, they would be great for a library but that's ok.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:13:46 AM by vorgos » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »

BINGO!

Libraries often put donations to the back of the pile and keep putting them back there until the regular library acquisitions are processed.  Cataloging is not a quick process.  Even copy cataloging takes time because each library catalog has its own idiosyncrasies and it's up to the cataloger to standardize all incoming records to fit the catalog.  Don't be surprised if it takes at least a month for a donation to show up in a catalog.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »

BINGO!

Libraries often put donations to the back of the pile and keep putting them back there until the regular library acquisitions are processed.  Cataloging is not a quick process.  Even copy cataloging takes time because each library catalog has its own idiosyncrasies and it's up to the cataloger to standardize all incoming records to fit the catalog.  Don't be surprised if it takes at least a month for a donation to show up in a catalog.

Hey Mr. Librarian, did you know my city is like the most using of its library of any city in America. And that is crazy given its enormous size.

http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet22

Our library will not accept donated books at all to be put into circulation. They accept donations and then sell them during their book sale fund drive.

They will accept just about any text you purchase on their behalf though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:30:59 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Phanouria

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

Might have been good to ask if donated books are added to the collection.  A parish library probably would have snapped the up! Mine would!!

It definitely takes a while before they appear in the catalog.  When books are donated to St. John Library, I check the condition of the books, look to see if they are duplicates, assign spine codes, make book cards and pocket labels, put them in the books, stamp them with the church stamp, assign subject headings, enter them into the database, and then publicize the new additions in the bulletin or on the website. This takes time.

And if I'm in the middle of another project which I always am, it takes longer!!!

But, Orthodox Bibliophile, don't worry about your books not being added to that library's collection.  God will put them into the right hands!!!

Phanouria
www.stjohnmemphis.org/library

"It's said in publishing that no cat book ever loses money.  Maybe it's true; bibliophiles tend to be ailurophiles, and both are tenacious breeds."

Emily Toth, Woman's Review of Books 1 Jul 1995
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »

BINGO!

Libraries often put donations to the back of the pile and keep putting them back there until the regular library acquisitions are processed.  Cataloging is not a quick process.  Even copy cataloging takes time because each library catalog has its own idiosyncrasies and it's up to the cataloger to standardize all incoming records to fit the catalog.  Don't be surprised if it takes at least a month for a donation to show up in a catalog.

In some public libraries the policy is that books cannot be older than 3 years and are in a very good shape. Also, have in mind that cataloguing costs money so the library decides whether they are worth "the trouble"...As Phanouria mentioned, God will make sure they go to the right hands. In the worst case they will go to the book sale.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:11:09 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 01:09:03 AM »

I wish I'd seen this when you first posted vorgos. I'm just across the ditch and would've snaffled them quick smart!  Cry

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: