OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenians & Their Pride of Churches  (Read 377 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

Armenians & Their Pride of Churches
By: Vahe Assarian, July 17, 2012

The Armenian people are proud Christians. The first Christian church in Armenia was built in the 4th century and is the oldest and most famous Christian church in Armenia called Echmiadzin. The architectural design of the churches between the 4th and 7th century lives on today in the 21st century. Sadly, the churches that are in present day Turkey have, for the most part, been destroyed. Armenians accepted Christianity over 1,700 years ago. In 301 AD, under King Trdat the third, Christianity became the official religion of the Armenian people and made Armenia the world’s first Christian state.

One of the most famous lands in Armenian History regarding churches is the City of Ani, which is also known as the City of a 1001 Churches. The City of Ani today is not what it once was when the Armenian people populated that region. The churches today are unmanned and are falling apart. The once great land of the Armenian people with many proud Armenian churches has turned into a ghost town.

http://ancawr.org/2012/07/17/armenians-their-pride-of-churches/

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

I have recently fallen in love with the Armenian Orthodoxy! Their stone made Monasteries are amazingly beautiful. I hope to visit this historical country one day….
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »

I've just read this interesting article:

http://www.armenianweekly.com/2012/08/04/one-mans-attempt-to-capture-ethiopian-armenians-dying-legacy/

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »

Kind of unrelated to the thread topic, but related to Balthasar's link about Armenians' contribution to Ethiopian musical history, here is an example of Mr. Nerses Nalbandian's musical talents, put to the service of another musical legend, Muluken Melesse -- enjoy!

As to the topic, like Ergib I would love to go Armenia some day. Unfortunately, I know no Armenian, only Russian, which probably does not really make a person very popular over there. Smiley But it might be a good time to go now that they've started restoring Tatev Monastery (adding an araeal cable car for visitors)!

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »

You'd probably be able to get by on Russian.  Visiting Tatev Monastery would be awesome. 

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »

Yeah, I know. It just seems rude, y'know? Besides, I'd like to learn Armenian; it's a beautiful language. Smiley

Tags: Armenian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: