OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Certificate  (Read 729 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »

I was Christmated into the Orthodox Church at Pascha of last year.  As my current career comes to a close, I have inquired into attending one of our universities here in the USA.  Each school requires a certificate of Christmation, but I never received a certificate.  Is it normal practice to get one or is it something special for the universities?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »

In my jurisdiction at least, baptismal certificates are kept at the church in which one was baptized, and a second copy at the diocesan headquarters. Certified copies can be issued for certain reasons, such as prior to marriage.

My advice would be for you to request a copy of your certificate from the priest who chrismated you.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »

I was Christmated into the Orthodox Church at Pascha of last year.  As my current career comes to a close, I have inquired into attending one of our universities here in the USA.  Each school requires a certificate of Christmation, but I never received a certificate.  Is it normal practice to get one or is it something special for the universities?

I don't understand why a university would need your Chrismation certificate.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »

You goin to St. Vladimir's or somethin?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »

PP

There or St. Tikons.  They are two of the three I know which provide a Masters program.  Are there others? 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

I guess it is to ensure I am actually Orthodox.  I can't think of any other reason.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

I guess it is to ensure I am actually Orthodox.  I can't think of any other reason.

Certificates are/were normal in some times and places, but if you don't have one, I'm sure something could be worked out between the school and your bishop.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

It's my parish's custom to give certificates, but I didn't get mine for a year after I was received! Some parishes don't issue them anymore, but of course still they still maintain a metrical book. Just inquire to your priest, I'm sure they can provide you with an appropriate certificate.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »

Thanks, everyone! Grin
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

We were sent certificates from the Antiochian diocese for everyone in our family. You should have needed to fill out paperwork around your baptism/chrismation that would have been sent in for the document. If you didn't fill out some paperwork to go with your baptism/chrismation it is possible that it was never produced.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

We were sent certificates from the Antiochian diocese for everyone in our family. You should have needed to fill out paperwork around your baptism/chrismation that would have been sent in for the document. If you didn't fill out some paperwork to go with your baptism/chrismation it is possible that it was never produced.

That makes a lot of sense.  I never filled out any paperwork.  I guess I will wait until the time comes and then do whatever the school asks.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

PP

There or St. Tikons.  They are two of the three I know which provide a Masters program.  Are there others? 

Holy Cross does as well: MTS, MDiv, and ThM.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: