OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:22:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remaining silent amongst sin  (Read 536 times) Average Rating: 0
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« on: July 26, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »

I was listening to a ‘Morning Offering’ from Abbot  Rev. Fr. Tryphon this morning.

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/morningoffering/tmo_2012-07-24.mp3

One of the question he asked was are we silent when those around us do things like gossip, inappropriate jokes etc.

Forgive my ignorance but was he meaning that we should remain silent and not participate in such or should we speak out against such behavior. I want to do as our Lord commands and be an instrument of His love but I would feel self righteous by speaking out and frankly doubt I would influence anyone by doing so. By example I feel is the better way for me personally to be an instrument of Christ. Not to mention the fact that I myself fall into sin thus would feel, if not appear, as a hypocrite if I corrected others in an unsolicited manor.

Your thoughts?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Red A.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

That is the way heard it. There is a temptation to "go along with the crowd" that he is  talking about resisting.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »

I have not heard the 'cast, but I am with you in how I react in such situations. Generally I'm reserved and keep to myself, so it would be really out of place for me to just start correcting people out of the blue.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

I have not heard the 'cast, but I am with you in how I react in such situations. Generally I'm reserved and keep to myself, so it would be really out of place for me to just start correcting people out of the blue.

Same for me.

Is there any.. behaviour to adopt in this case ?
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »

I understood it to mean to not join in or encourage the behavior.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Red A.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »

Same for me.

probably the same behavior that is most often helpful for me..... keeping my mouth shut.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

This is a huge question for me. When one of my peers makes some joke about drinking or hooking up or whatever am I supposed to tell them off or just stoicly frown at them?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »

Thank you all for replying. I felt the need for confirmation.

Same for me.

probably the same behavior that is most often helpful for me..... keeping my mouth shut.

Agreed for me as well. I think silence and perhaps a subtle looking away is the best approach for me. 

The only behaviour I heard mentioned in the pod cast to adopt is to avoid situations that we know will include such things. Of course that can be tricky within itself. As is I am considered a recluse at work for typically taking my lunch in my office instead of with 'the crowd' because of it. I try and balance it best I can, and join them from time to time, as I don't think it serves Christianity well if people think I have a holier than thou attitude. I am blessed to have an office mate that is a devout Catholic, feels the same, so we often just eat together. Fortunately we seem to be fairly well liked praise God and this does not seem to effect relationships at work.

'Old friends' are still friends but fact is those relationships are growing further apart and I rarely talk nor see them any more.

God seems to have my back though and every door that closes comes with a new one opening.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »

This is a huge question for me. When one of my peers makes some joke about drinking or hooking up or whatever am I supposed to tell them off or just stoicly frown at them?

Ya know as we are talking about it a funny quote from an elder comes to mind. I only wish you could see his face and hear his slow southern draw...

"I don't hate nobody. Jesus loves everybody. I even worked with one of them there Muslims once. He was a mighty nice feller! We gotalong real goood and were able to talk bout all kinds of stuff, even God. I heard my brother tell em he was 'gonna burrn in hell!' But I said to my brother; now how you supposed to witness to somebody that hates ya?!"

The old timer had a point. Lord let me witness with my actions and when asked, speak Your truth.

** p.s. don't let me give anyone the false impression I do not fall into such temptations as gossip, inappropriate jokes, judgment, etc.
I too am a sinner.

Peace & Grace

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

Or say the Jesus prayer and repent of your own sins.

I think what we do depends on the situation. Is the person likely to listen and consider what you say? Or would it be better to subtly change the subject, neither frowning nor telling him off, but guiding the conversation to a better place, and if that can't be done, to pass over it in silence.

Personally, it makes me cringe when people blaspheme and use the name of our Savior as a swear word, but I've come to realize they're not even aware of what they're saying--that's how bad it is. If people aren't aware, it would seem more difficult to correct them because you need to make them aware, and make them care, and sometimes, if they do change behavior, it is not for the right reason, that is, it's for your sake, which may not be beneficial.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »

Or say the Jesus prayer and repent of your own sins.

I think what we do depends on the situation. Is the person likely to listen and consider what you say? Or would it be better to subtly change the subject, neither frowning nor telling him off, but guiding the conversation to a better place, and if that can't be done, to pass over it in silence.

Personally, it makes me cringe when people blaspheme and use the name of our Savior as a swear word, but I've come to realize they're not even aware of what they're saying--that's how bad it is. If people aren't aware, it would seem more difficult to correct them because you need to make them aware, and make them care, and sometimes, if they do change behavior, it is not for the right reason, that is, it's for your sake, which may not be beneficial.

+1

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

it makes me cringe when people blaspheme and use the name of our Savior as a swear word

Among my friends in high school, when anyone would do this my Christian friend Wesley would yell, excitedly but playfully, "where?" and start looking around for him.  Cheesy

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: