OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calendars  (Read 665 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: July 26, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

Why are Saints' days in the Revised-Julian and Gregorian Calendars often separated by one day? I mean why some feasts on the Revised-Julian calendar are often a day earlier than in the Gregorian one?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »

I've only ever seen regional variations to specific saint's feastdays, such as the one-day difference in the commemoration of Greatmartyr Catherine in the Greek calendar and everyone else's (and this has nothing to do with OC/NC).

Another which comes to mind is the feast of the repose of St John Chrysostom (September 14). As this date is also that of the Exaltation of the Cross, one of the twelve great feasts, the Church as a whole has chosen to celebrate St John's feast the day before, to avoid the clash. Likewise, the Greek church also transposes the feast of Greatmartyr St George to Bright Week, if the saint's feast falls during Holy Week.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »

According to the Orthodox Calendar the day of St. Anne was the day before yesterday and according to the Roman calendar it was yesterday. I've noticed it also concerns at least a few other saints. Why is that?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »

According to the Orthodox Calendar the day of St. Anne was the day before yesterday and according to the Roman calendar it was yesterday. I've noticed it also concerns at least a few other saints. Why is that?

By "Roman calendar", do you mean the Roman Catholic calendar of saints?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »

Hum, good question, I never noticed this phenomenon.  Eagerly awaiting the answer.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »

By "Roman calendar", do you mean the Roman Catholic calendar of saints?

Yes, I do.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »

good question.  I wondered about that myself recently.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

BUMP
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

I know only about a few cases.
1.The feast of the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste: earlier the date of the feast was the same as for Eastern Churches, but after liturgical reforms introduced by The Second Vatican Council these saint weren't put into new calendar and after some years they were included in the calendar, but on the next day
2.West maintained the old date for st. Stephen's day, while East celebrated it on the next day because of the feast of the Theotokos (Roman Catholics celebrate it on the 1st of January)
3. St. Basil the Great - West celebrates it the next day to not coincide with the feast of the Theotokos and Circumcision (well, in Novus Ordo the feast of the Lord's Circumcision is removed)
4.The feast of the conception of the Theotokos - East celebrates it on the next day to show that only Christ was born exactly after 9 months

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »

Good post Dominika.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »

Good post Dominika.

Thanks Smiley

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »

Well, so this is not one general decision that made that, is it?

Thanks for some background.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

Well, so this is not one general decision that made that, is it?

Thanks for some background.

Yes, the feasts' dates were being changed for ages and there was no one reason; every difference has its own history.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »

Would you try to solve St. Anne's case?
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

The date of st. Anne's feast has been changed a few times in Roman Catholic Church because in medieval times her cult wasn't so popular as in Orthodox Church. In XVI century pope Gregory III reestablish the feast, but with new date - 26th of July because 25th of July was "occupied" by the feast of st. James. In RC Church they don't like situation that two feasts coincide and that's the reason that so often one of them is moved to another day.

But why the date of st. James' feast is different, I have no idea. Maybe it's connected with Santiago de Compostela?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »

Thanks again.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: