OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:20:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Career Plans?  (Read 1338 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:43 AM »

Just out of curiousity, to those of you who are still in college or high-school, or those who have graduated both and are searching for a career, what are your career plans? What do you want to do with your life?

I plan to swallow my pride and live with my parents while I go to college to save money having to buy food, pay bills or rent a dorm or apartment, even if it means obeying their rules and having them treat me like a child when I am an adult. I plan to become a pharmacist so I hope to take the pre-required courses at the local community college which should last about 2-4 years and then try and get accepted into UC Stanford (Which is only 20 minutes away from where I live) and study pharmaceuticals for the required 4 years. Then hopefully nail the NAPLEX and start a career as a pharmacist. A median salary of 98k really entices me  Grin

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:58 AM »

Should I feel terrible that I'm answering this thread and I'm 33?  Undecided  Well, I am in college and essentially starting over, so...   when I finish school I just hope to get a normal job doing something I enjoy, hopefully something related to the education I spent tens of thousands of dollars getting. (Is that vague enough?) I'll have to have published stuff along the way to get anyone's attention though, so I'm working on that as we speak. Or as I type. Well not literally. Anyway, getting a job I enjoy, don't have a long commute to, and don't have to go into the city for, are the most important things to me.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »

I'd like to be a professor of history, specifically American Indian history, but I have side interests in America's Progressive era, WWI, Ancient Rome, and other places.

I'm about to begin my second year of Master's work.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »

I don't want to held up any plans since I probably end up unemployed. I'd like to do something even remotely interesting with livable wage. Hopefully something related to religion and/or sociology and/or different cultures.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:42:45 AM by Alpo » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:18:24 AM »

Just out of curiousity, to those of you who are still in college or high-school, or those who have graduated both and are searching for a career, what are your career plans? What do you want to do with your life?

I plan to swallow my pride and live with my parents while I go to college to save money having to buy food, pay bills or rent a dorm or apartment, even if it means obeying their rules and having them treat me like a child when I am an adult. I plan to become a pharmacist so I hope to take the pre-required courses at the local community college which should last about 2-4 years and then try and get accepted into UC Stanford (Which is only 20 minutes away from where I live) and study pharmaceuticals for the required 4 years. Then hopefully nail the NAPLEX and start a career as a pharmacist. A median salary of 98k really entices me  Grin

My plan is to get any job at all that I can - preferably the one with the least work involved - where I will have to work no more than 40 hours a week, but will have a bit of spending money after I pay my bills.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »

Should I be embarrassed since I'm answering this and I'm - well, never mind how old I am.
 Wink

I know it's a cliche, but don't go into a career for the money alone. Find something that you love to do.
For myself, I have had three totally different careers (healthcare, human resources, writing and publishing for a church) and have had no formal training for any of them. I've been lucky, but I've also been willing to do interesting things, go way beyond my job description and not for the money.
Of course, consequently, I have never made much, but I've certainly had a lot of fun and interesting experiences.
And if you're thinking that I have a rich husband who subsidized my eccentric career choices, think again. He has worked for small non-profit organizations, primarily serving the disabled, ex-offenders and the homeless. You don't get rich doing that either.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:24:56 AM »

I have some big dreams, and thank God I was put in touch with a career counselor to help me figure things out.

I am:

-Going to graduate high school this year, with a diploma and academic endorsements.  I never thought I could do it, it is a huge achievement.  I was always slow, so I'm very proud of myself.

-I am going to attend community college for two years, to take my basic classes (pre-recs. here in the US).

-I will then move on to the university in town, and in time earn my bachelors degree in world history.

-I will then apply (and hopefully be accepted) to the masters program of Library and Information Sciences at the university in Denver, where I'll live in a dorm.  This is when I'll move away from my parents.

-I will hopefully earn my MLIS, and get a good job as a museum curator, archivist or research librarian. 

This is my plan.  As a nun once told me "Man plans, God laughs."  Maybe I'll end up somewhere else.  Maybe my beliefs will straighten themselves out and I'll find myself in a beard and cassock.  Who knows?

I'm just happy to have a plan that is both realistic and making my dreams possible, which I can totally make happen.

You see, I have a big dream. 

I want to eventually save enough to have a Victorian house out in the country, with lots of windows for my cat to nap beneath in the summer sun while I'm setting up exhibits or doing research.  I want a vegetable garden in the back yard. 

I want to be able to pay this off, and to own the house and the land.  I want to be able to furnish every room.

Then I'll be able to die happy in the knowledge that I made my dreams possible Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:29:56 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:22 AM »

Oh, and here's my one big fat important piece of advice: if you can help it, and you almost always can, don't get into debt. Debt is a killer - it crushes your dreams and limits your freedom of choice.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

I have a 5 year plan.  Cool I would tell you, but then...

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
gzt

Jurisdiction: OCA, then GOA, now OCA

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »

I don't mean to dissuade you, but Stanford is not a UC school, it's private. It's also extremely competitive, on the order of Harvard or MIT. Those two facts make the "CC and transfer" plan much less feasible. The good news is that it's well-endowed, and if you want to go there, I recommend applying directly, as aid packages are usually quite generous.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

I would like to be a veterinarian.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:14:27 PM by christian7777 » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

Proverbs 27:1
Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

James 4:13-15
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.”

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:44 AM »

That James passage is always sobering to me.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »

Oh, and here's my one big fat important piece of advice: if you can help it, and you almost always can, don't get into debt. Debt is a killer - it crushes your dreams and limits your freedom of choice.

James READ THIS.  Stay OUT OF DEBT.   Stay out stay out stay out.   Look man, I know that sometimes I'm kind of controversial and I guess I'll admit on several occasions trollish, but my friend, please cast that aside... From one brother in Christ to another... katherineofdixie gave you sound advice.

Never go into debt.  Never ever ever.

If you have to go buy a dumpy trailer as your first home, or even live in a dump RV park in an old RV as your first home - DO IT.  
Suck up the pride, and stay out of debt.  You'll save so much $ that you'll fully own a home outright by 25 years old.

Rent, debt, and pride will eat you alive.

Also, LEARN how to use tools and fix stuff.  The internet is your friend.  Salvage stuff, and don't always need the latest and greatest.  I duck when I say, buy only Toyotas (4 cylinders) that will last you forever and get good MPG.

Learn how to cook from SCRATCH.

Anyway, I know you were looking for career paths.   I've seen Medical Doctors go underwater in their lavish lifestyles, and waiters prosper just because they were very keen financial planners.

Learn REAL stuff about living.  Heavy money management and know your tools very well.   Best thing I could ever tell a young adult.   Going to college naive with a student loan dreaming about the house with a 3 car garage when you get out = trouble.

Buy the 3 car garage house with cash.  Figure out how to do it.   Darn I wish I could meet you in person and just lecture you to boredom on this.  LOL
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:41:31 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »

James READ THIS.  Stay OUT OF DEBT.   Stay out stay out stay out.   Look man, I know that sometimes I'm kind of controversial and I guess I'll admit on several occasions trollish, but my friend, please cast that aside... From one brother in Christ to another... katherineofdixie gave you sound advice.

Never go into debt.  Never ever ever.

If you have to go buy a dumpy trailer as your first home, or even live in a dump RV park in an old RV as your first home - DO IT.  
Suck up the pride, and stay out of debt.  You'll save so much $ that you'll fully own a home outright by 25 years old.

Rent, debt, and pride will eat you alive.

Also, LEARN how to use tools and fix stuff.  The internet is your friend.  Salvage stuff, and don't always need the latest and greatest.  I duck when I say, buy only Toyotas (4 cylinders) that will last you forever and get good MPG.

Learn how to cook from SCRATCH.

Anyway, I know you were looking for career paths.   I've seen Medical Doctors go underwater in their lavish lifestyles, and waiters prosper just because they were very keen financial planners.

Learn REAL stuff about living.  Heavy money management and know your tools very well.   Best thing I could ever tell a young adult.   Going to college naive with a student loan dreaming about the house with a 3 car garage when you get out = trouble.

Buy the 3 car garage house with cash.  Figure out how to do it.   Darn I wish I could meet you in person and just lecture you to boredom on this.  LOL
Too bad this isn't reality.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:18 PM »

social work.
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »

Hi James!
When I read the word pharmacy, my eyes popped open. Wanted to say that I just graduated from pharmacy school this past may and I nailed the naplex and am currently licensed (Glory be to God phewww). Although I haven't started working yet (considering i just got my license last week), I am going through interviews. Should you have any pharmacy school related questions, just wanna tell you that I maybe able to help (hopefully Grin)
May the Lord help you achieve your career plans!

Your sister in Christ,
Bytania

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

I want to continue working at BP till one day I can go to seminary, but I have no idea how long that might take.

Thank you.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

Well, I turn 41 this year and will retire with a pathetic pension in less than 4 years.  Why am I posting?  Because I will need a new career and hope to have my Masters by then.  What I would love to do is go to seminary school, but at over 100K for three years and my wife not being Orthodox, it seems a waste not to be able be ordained.  So, what I would like to do as an alternative is teach Church history at a college level, but I don't know of any universities which focus on Eastern Church history.  So, I'll probably work at Walmart...kidding.  may end up into going back trucking.  I was once self employeed doing that.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 12:32:10 AM »

Well, I turn 41 this year and will retire with a pathetic pension in less than 4 years.  Why am I posting?  Because I will need a new career and hope to have my Masters by then.  What I would love to do is go to seminary school, but at over 100K for three years and my wife not being Orthodox, it seems a waste not to be able be ordained.

Leadership 100 will provide financial aid for seminarians attending Holy Cross seminary; hence, that 100K over 3 years may be much less than you think.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »

I hope to be trained as a musicologist, earn a PhD, and be a professor.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »

Well, I turn 41 this year and will retire with a pathetic pension in less than 4 years.  Why am I posting?  Because I will need a new career and hope to have my Masters by then.  What I would love to do is go to seminary school, but at over 100K for three years and my wife not being Orthodox, it seems a waste not to be able be ordained.

Leadership 100 will provide financial aid for seminarians attending Holy Cross seminary; hence, that 100K over 3 years may be much less than you think.

Just a caveat, however: the L100 financial aid is for men on track to become priests. If kerdy's wife isn't Orthodox, that ain't happening.

St. John Chrysostom
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »

Well, I turn 41 this year and will retire with a pathetic pension in less than 4 years.  Why am I posting?  Because I will need a new career and hope to have my Masters by then.  What I would love to do is go to seminary school, but at over 100K for three years and my wife not being Orthodox, it seems a waste not to be able be ordained.  So, what I would like to do as an alternative is teach Church history at a college level, but I don't know of any universities which focus on Eastern Church history.  So, I'll probably work at Walmart...kidding.  may end up into going back trucking.  I was once self employeed doing that.

While there are no American universities (to my knowledge) that have a degree focused on that, there are several with departments employing faculty who are at least somewhat knowledgable on the Eastern Church.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »

Harvard has a Byzantine Studies graduate specialization, Princeton has a Hellenic Studies specialization, and the Catholic University of America has a Byzantine and Orthodox Studies specialization as part of their Medieval and Byzantine Studies MA program (and I suppose you could also focus on that for your BA and/or doctorate?). There are other english-speaking contexts for such studies as well, such as Oxford and Cambridge in England.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Sphinx

Faith: Searching...
Jurisdiction: Searching...

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

Have you ever thought of becoming a hermit?

A hermit (adjectival form: eremitic) is a person who lives, to some degree, in seclusion from society.

In Christianity, the term was originally applied to a Christian who lives the eremitic life out of a religious conviction, namely the Desert Theology of the Old Testament (i.e., the forty years wandering in the desert that was meant to bring about a change of heart).

In the Christian tradition the eremitic life is an early form of monastic living that preceded the monastic life in the cenobium. The Rule of St Benedict (ch. 1) lists hermits among four kinds of monks. In the Roman Catholic Church, in addition to hermits who are members of religious institutes, contemporary Roman Catholic Church law (canon 603) recognizes also consecrated hermits under the direction of their diocesan bishop as members of the Consecrated Life ("consecrated diocesan hermits"). The same is true in many parts of the Anglican Communion, including the Episcopal Church in the United States, although in the canon law of the Episcopal Church they are referred to as "solitaries" rather than "hermits".

Often, both in religious and secular literature, the term "hermit" is also used loosely for any Christian living a secluded prayer-focused life, and sometimes interchangeably with anchorite / anchoress, recluse and "solitary". Other religions – for example Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam (Sufism) and Taoism – also have hermits in the sense of individuals living an ascetic form of life.

In modern colloquial usage, the term "hermit" denotes anyone living a life apart from the rest of society, or who simply does not participate in social events as much as is common, regardless of their motivation in doing so, including the misanthrope.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: